Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
45 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

If memory serves, Christian's now-wife ran either track or cross-country for UK, and yes, they were dating at the time of the WatShot.

Every time someone mentions the WatShot, I have to go back and look at the video.  Still gives me chills.

On 1/25/2019 at 10:29 AM, CoachSS said:

Just a few things to add here:

When Indiana's coaching staff first arrived, one of the most pressing issues was to increase the talent level. The coaches didn't think the current crop of players was good enough and they wanted to bring in better players, more players as quickly as possible. NO ONE was looking to run-off anyone but given the NCAA Transfer statistics (an alarming rate) and the basic reality that kids leave when new coaches arrive, it was expected. Gelon goes, Curtis Jones goes, ROJO, Newark, Hartman graduate.

Anyway, one thing the staff did realize was that they had certain areas/ positions of strength after the 2018 recruiting class started taking shape. As basketball has evolved now into "lead guard- 3 others - post man" the staff felt the "others part" was getting pretty good. They knew they had Langford coming but only for a year and Justin Smith's athleticism and muscle was something they liked. After the commitments of Race Thompson, Damezi Anderson and especially Jerome Hunter, the staff was left with where we are...

The belief of the coaching staff was that Trendon Watford was and is a better high school basketball player than Keion Brooks, Jr. I think, even today, there's probably a point to be made that Watford can do a few more things on different spots of the floor than Brooks can. 

But, IU had two coaches I know of who kept coming back to a basic phrase "We don't need either to be a superstar from day 1." Largely, this belief stemmed from the fact that the 2018 kids would be good as sophomores and there was a holdover (Smith, Durham) that could also contribute meaningful minutes. So, some conversations took place and it was decided that Indiana would push for the better long-term target BECAUSE of what was already in the cupboard. Pushing for the longer-term gain rather than the known commodity. 

So, that's largely where we are. Keion Brooks Jr. has been the target and prize and main focal point of this staff. This current staff had better relationships with the family, an in-state player was easier to scout / visit more and the upside definitely leans his way. 

However...

Two weeks ago I had an interesting text from an IU fan and a friend of mine. Said person has a cousin that plays volleyball at Samford University. Take a basic glance at the Samford roster and you see his cousin... and Trendon Watford's sister. How convenient? 

So, the gist of the text was that "Ernest isn't as sure of the coaching staff's that Trendon is thinking about. He doesn't think any of them can really develop him." And he was adamant that IF Trendon wanted it (the parents do), IU would start recruiting him very, very heavily. Not necessarily because they need him but because... rightfully... you don't ignore a top-level recruit who hits you up and wants to play for you. That said, this has to be Trendon wanting this. It's his life, it's his decision. But, Archie texted him and told him "If you want us to recruit you, we will. Pick a date." 

So, I do agree with some of my initial assessment that IU has not recruited him in a long time. And, I do think LSU has the better staff of his 3 southern schools. But, if Trendon really wanted to develop and really thought about his long-term future and can grasp leaving the South, then I do expect Indiana to get involved. But, I don't think it will happen and I'm ok with it. The parents won't push Trendon to do anything he is uncomfortable with. And, if this chatter is to be believed, there are a few in his circle who think he should take a LONG, LONG look at Indiana. But, he has to do it. No one can force him too. And, I think IU's staff has been very smart about prioritizing elsewhere as the roster has other/ more serious needs besides some of the wing and forward spots. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Was just thinking of this post from CoachSS today. I thought I’d bump it up. 

19 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

Seriously, we need to it the full court press on Watford now! 🤞🏻

They’ve been in contact but Watford isn’t big on IU from what’s been said by multiple people so it’s probably not happening. His family and IU are interested but he doesn’t seem to be. His family is letting him make the decisions with this. That’s part of why there hasn’t been an official visit.

47 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

They’ve been in contact but Watford isn’t big on IU from what’s been said by multiple people so it’s probably not happening. His family and IU are interested but he doesn’t seem to be. His family is letting him make the decisions with this. That’s part of why there hasn’t been an official visit.

He’s coming for his official visit after his high school season is over. He saved his last visit for us is what a friend of mine said. Courtesy or not, he has some interest by doing that alone. It looks like Brooks to UK is about done, so Archie and company need to put Trendon at the top of their priorities. 

I also understand that this isn’t likely, but they need to do everything that they can to make one final push.

4 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

He’s coming for his official visit after his high school season is over. He saved his last visit for us is what a friend of mine said. Courtesy or not, he has some interest by doing that alone. It looks like Brooks to UK is about done, so Archie and company need to put Trendon at the top of their priorities. 

I also understand that this isn’t likely, but they need to do everything that they can to make one final push.

I hadn’t heard that about him making a visit after his season but hopefully it happens.

Hoosierinbham has brought information and coachss. 

Once his season is over if we get a visit things will get serious real fast.  

From coachss a few weeks ago on page 39. So, the gist of the text was that "Ernest isn't as sure of the coaching staff's that Trendon is thinking about. He doesn't think any of them can really develop him." And he was adamant that IF Trendon wanted it (the parents do), IU would start recruiting him very, very heavily. Not necessarily because they need him but because... rightfully... you don't ignore a top-level recruit who hits you up and wants to play for you. That said, this has to be Trendon wanting this. It's his life, it's his decision. But, Archie texted him and told him "If you want us to recruit you, we will. Pick a date." 

2 hours ago, NotIThatLives said:

Hoosierinbham has brought information and coachss. 

Once his season is over if we get a visit things will get serious real fast.  

From coachss a few weeks ago on page 39. So, the gist of the text was that "Ernest isn't as sure of the coaching staff's that Trendon is thinking about. He doesn't think any of them can really develop him." And he was adamant that IF Trendon wanted it (the parents do), IU would start recruiting him very, very heavily. Not necessarily because they need him but because... rightfully... you don't ignore a top-level recruit who hits you up and wants to play for you. That said, this has to be Trendon wanting this. It's his life, it's his decision. But, Archie texted him and told him "If you want us to recruit you, we will. Pick a date." 

This is what I was alluding to and have heard from a friend that lives in the area. If Trendon isn’t sure about any of the other schools, we need to put the press on... especially if we miss out on Brooks. Trendon, TJD and Franklin are all multi year players that can continue the foundation that this freshman class has set. He would be a extremely good addition, IMO. 

13 minutes ago, Danomatic said:

This is what I was alluding to and have heard from a friend that lives in the area. If Trendon isn’t sure about any of the other schools, we need to put the press on... especially if we miss out on Brooks. Trendon, TJD and Franklin are all multi year players that can continue the foundation that this freshman class has set. He would be a extremely good addition, IMO. 

I wanted him whether we got Brooks or not.

Archived