Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ESPN's scouting report:

Strengths:
Watford is a skilled and versatile forward with good size, length (7-foot-4 wingspan), and big hands. His frame has continued to stretch over his high school career while he's simultaneously polished his skill set. He's a scoring threat from various spots on the floor who can shoot the ball with range, play off his dribble, or take smaller defenders into the mid-post area. He's a particularly good ball-handler for his size who changes pace to work his way into the lane and is particularly effective attacking close-outs. He also has a pretty good instinctive feel, is a capable passer, and seems to pick up concepts quickly so he has potential to be very good in various types of dribble-hand-off and pick-and-pop action at the next level.

Weaknesses:
Watford isn't an elite athlete and has fairly heavy feet. His frame is more naturally stocky and his conditioning can be inconsistent at times too. Consequently, he's much more versatile on the offensive end then he is the defensive end, although his tremendous length still covers up for a lot of his other physical deficiencies. Watford fancies himself a big wing who is capable of playing all five positions on the floor, but he's best at the four, especially defensively. Offensively, he's not going to blow by a set defender and has a little bit of a slow release on his jumper so he's ideally suited to play on the second side of the floor where he can attack a rotating defense and play in more space.

Bottom Line:
He's not an elite athlete and far more versatile offensively than he is defensively, but Watford's combination of length, skill, and instinctive feel is truly unique and makes him one of the most coveted forwards in the national class of 2019.

On 3/22/2019 at 12:58 PM, Indykev said:

Keion is about Keion, one and done. The one and done factory is UK. great place for him. I will be rooting he doesnt sniff being one and done.

I think the other thing that sells about fUK is joining the "fraternity" of former players in the NBA is "cool" to recruits. By committing there, Keion now is welcomed by Wall, Cousins, Davis, KAT, etc as a member of the family and can play with those guys in the summer get-togethers.

IU’s lack of involvement in this recruitment right now is weird.  We missed on Brooks, two of Watford’s top schools are without a coach, and now he’s down to Memphis, Indiana, and Duke with a month left to go in his recruitment.  Duke hasn’t even offered yet.  I’ve read all the rumors about where the staff stands with Watford, but I still don’t understand why they’re not putting the full court press on him right now.  If he ends up at Memphis, fine, but it will be really disappointing if Duke swoops in and gets him with an April offer.

7 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

IU’s lack of involvement in this recruitment right now is weird.  We missed on Brooks, two of Watford’s top schools are without a coach, and now he’s down to Memphis, Indiana, and Duke with a month left to go in his recruitment.  Duke hasn’t even offered yet.  I’ve read all the rumors about where the staff stands with Watford, but I still don’t understand why they’re not putting the full court press on him right now.  If he ends up at Memphis, fine, but it will be really disappointing if Duke swoops in and gets him with an April offer.

How much do you think Duke will offer?

17 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

How much do you think Duke will offer?

Id say at least a BMW....maybe a house n a job for his mom (oh wait, thats what the memphis coach got...)  possibly a tractor, but the watfords dont really seem like farmers.  🤔🤔

41 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Watfords aren’t shady people

Well, I'll play devil's advocate here.  Not everyone agrees that these players getting some compensation is shady.  More of a byproduct of a broken system.  That argument aside...

Does a final 5 with Duke, LSU, and Memphis not bother you?  Alabama hasn't been brought in yet, but let's get real, the infrastructure is there for the football team.  Do you think they really like Will Wade as a person?  LSU as a program?  Baton Rouge is almost 6 hours from Birmingham, Bloomington is just over 6.  It's not a distance issue.  

Does Archie leaving him alone not bother you?  Does Crean leaving him alone not bother you? (Not looking for another Crean debate.) Nothing about the way this is set up seems a little off?  

We Hoosiers are maybe a little too moral for our own good.  Aw shucks Coach, let's get him in for a game and be real nice to him!  Things are run a little different in SEC country, and it's not viewed as shady.  If you're the Watfords, and lesser players are getting paid without consequences:  Is refusing that make you not-shady, or kinda dumb?  Maybe they've seen the sold out gyms and fat cat coaches and thousands of sold prints of "The Wat Shot" and seen a hundred kids get a lot of money, and so they're going to get theirs.  

Regardless, Trendon isn't coming here.  There is no interest.  He's still officially nice in interviews, but it's a dead end.  Also, don't forget that even with Wade out and Avery out, that just opens the door for renewed optimism.  Indiana kept the incoming class and got better recruits immediately.  Louisville put together a fantastic team after Pitino.  Wade was brand new and got immediate recruits.  Bryce Drew secured the best recruiting class in Vandy history.  I don't get why everyone thinks that a coaching change means the school is out.  If handled well it makes everything seem new and like the program is on the rise.  If Alabama gets a smooth talker, then there's not reason to believe they can't vault into the lead.  

As to Trendon, I think everyone will enjoy watching him at the next level.  His mannerisms on the court are exactly like Christian.  

13 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Well, I'll play devil's advocate here.  Not everyone agrees that these players getting some compensation is shady.  More of a byproduct of a broken system.  That argument aside...

Does a final 5 with Duke, LSU, and Memphis not bother you?  Alabama hasn't been brought in yet, but let's get real, the infrastructure is there for the football team.  Do you think they really like Will Wade as a person?  LSU as a program?  Baton Rouge is almost 6 hours from Birmingham, Bloomington is just over 6.  It's not a distance issue.  

Does Archie leaving him alone not bother you?  Does Crean leaving him alone not bother you? (Not looking for another Crean debate.) Nothing about the way this is set up seems a little off?  

We Hoosiers are maybe a little too moral for our own good.  Aw shucks Coach, let's get him in for a game and be real nice to him!  Things are run a little different in SEC country, and it's not viewed as shady.  If you're the Watfords, and lesser players are getting paid without consequences:  Is refusing that make you not-shady, or kinda dumb?  Maybe they've seen the sold out gyms and fat cat coaches and thousands of sold prints of "The Wat Shot" and seen a hundred kids get a lot of money, and so they're going to get theirs.  

Regardless, Trendon isn't coming here.  There is no interest.  He's still officially nice in interviews, but it's a dead end.  Also, don't forget that even with Wade out and Avery out, that just opens the door for renewed optimism.  Indiana kept the incoming class and got better recruits immediately.  Louisville put together a fantastic team after Pitino.  Wade was brand new and got immediate recruits.  Bryce Drew secured the best recruiting class in Vandy history.  I don't get why everyone thinks that a coaching change means the school is out.  If handled well it makes everything seem new and like the program is on the rise.  If Alabama gets a smooth talker, then there's not reason to believe they can't vault into the lead.  

As to Trendon, I think everyone will enjoy watching him at the next level.  His mannerisms on the court are exactly like Christian.  

I will admit that all these sound like good points one of the contrary points I could make would be why keep us around? “Because he respects us? Or feels he owes us to list him because of his older brother?” I suppose that’s possible, but just as likely or more...out of respect and because you like us it’s easy to cut us and not keep us guessing (which we’re barely doing anyway), by simply saying I want to blaze my own trail.

idk what’s in his head but I don’t think it’s as clear of a case as you say. But I do admit it doesn’t “look good” when that many shady schools are in your final list.

There's no activity on Archie's part because he knows Trendon is going elsewhere.  Leaving IU on the list benefits both Trendon and IU and I suspect Trendon does not want to take a public shot at the school his brother went to.  IU could get cut before the announcement but it will likely be part of a group cut to get down to 2-3 before the announcement. Singling IU out to cut them individually doesn't seem like something Trendon would do.

That's all rambling speculation based on what the Watford family seems to be.

Yeah I'll add that I'm 100% just talking.  I realize that engaging in talk like this could be viewed as sour grapes since we're not getting Trendon.  If anything I'm trying to stand up for the Watfords somewhat, in challenging that they are "shady" if they consider their talented son getting some compensation commensurate with most other top 50 kids.  

Good luck to the kid regardless, I know we'll all be cheering for him.  

46 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

I will admit that all these sound like good points one of the contrary points I could make would be why keep us around? “Because he respects us? Or feels he owes us to list him because of his older brother?” I suppose that’s possible, but just as likely or more...out of respect and because you like us it’s easy to cut us and not keep us guessing (which we’re barely doing anyway), by simply saying I want to blaze my own trail.

idk what’s in his head but I don’t think it’s as clear of a case as you say. But I do admit it doesn’t “look good” when that many shady schools are in your final list.

IMO, IU is his backup of a backup plan. Watfords know that IU and its fanbase would be very happy to have Trendon. When everything they've planned falls apart, they can still call IU to restart the process. I'd say also part of it could be their relationship with IU because of Christian. It looks like Archie and Co made the right decision not to put too much time and efforts in this recruitment; they just left the door open, just like the Watfords did, but Archie and Co have been looking everywhere to possibly add one more (or more than one depending on the next season's roster, who knows?). 

45 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

IMO, IU is his backup of a backup plan. Watfords know that IU and its fanbase would be very happy to have Trendon. When everything they've planned falls apart, they can still call IU to restart the process. I'd say also part of it could be their relationship with IU because of Christian. It looks like Archie and Co made the right decision not to put too much time and efforts in this recruitment; they just left the door open, just like the Watfords did, but Archie and Co have been looking everywhere to possibly add one more (or more than one depending on the next season's roster, who knows?). 

That’s reasonable.

1 hour ago, addictedtoIU said:

I'd say this is probably pretty close to reality. 

They're likely "OK" with Archie; not in love with him, but not against him either.  They have a connection back to the program through Christian.  They already know the upsides and downsides of IU.  They don't need to be re-sold.  But, Trendon is even more of a high-level recruit than Christian was.  So, may not hurt to look around.  Perfectly reasonable. 

The flip side is also true.  If they're willing to look around, no need in putting the pressure on, since they already know the story.  Keep the channel open and if things work out, they work out.  

Jerry Meyer just responded to a tweet in a reply that he's hearing the reason for the delay might be that Bama is looking to hire Steve Prohm or Matta....but that Watford's high school coach will be part of the staff. Yes....you heard that right. They have a spot for him as an assistant before announcing head coach.

I'm not going to say anything about IU royalty but wow. 

30 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Jerry Meyer just responded to a tweet in a reply that he's hearing the reason for the delay might be that Bama is looking to hire Steve Prohm or Matta....but that Watford's high school coach will be part of the staff. Yes....you heard that right. They have a spot for him as an assistant before announcing head coach.

That is PATHETIC

38 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

So in the end, it was about a 'hook-a-brother-up' kind of thing. I assume the high school coach also coached Christian? Then, the coach and the Watfords had a long-term relationship.

Archived