Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

If this backdoor deal turns out to be true, what do Watfords get? I'm purely speculating but does the player's family get a cut from the former high school coach (certain percentage of his University salary) as long as the player stays with the program?

I mean there's gotta be something that benefits the player's family. 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Trendon and Christian did not go to the same school or have the same coach. Coach McMillan has won 5 out of the last 6 state titles in the largest class. SEC coaches have been trying to get him for years, but he didn't want to recruit.  He has a pretty cushy setup at Mountain Brook. Haven't heard he's leaving, but if it's truly a done deal, word will spread real fast down here.

Dang the tone of this conversation changed for the worst awfully fast. Smh.

38 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Trendon and Christian did not go to the same school or have the same coach. Coach McMillan has won 5 out of the last 6 state titles in the largest class. SEC coaches have been trying to get him for years, but he didn't want to recruit.  He has a pretty cushy setup at Mountain Brook. Haven't heard he's leaving, but if it's truly a done deal, word will spread real fast down here.

I looked him up.  Yep, all factual.  You left out that he's only what...31 years old? No brainer hire for the in-state flagship campus. 

34 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Self-consolation of the worst possible kind.  "If he didn't choose us, something dirty has to be going on somewhere!!1!!one!!"

Certainly not me. I don't think most of the fans here are that delusional. We hung our last banner in 1987. Simply reacting to the tidbits. 

The Watfords aren’t shady people come on now. Interestingly enough there has been some communication pick up between IU and the Watfords. Where does that lead? Who knows but a lot of things have obviously happened with the schools involved and that has changed some things. But apparently this isn’t a door closed deal like it has been. May be an interesting next few weeks. Maybe IU could pull a rabbit out of its hat. Would be awesome if so. Again not trying to act like I know much because I don’t have any connections just passing along things I read from people that would have good info.

5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

To play devil’s advocate, what makes you think that they wouldn’t do something given the chance?  I can only assume that Trendon’s recruitment is very different than Christian’s.

Different? Maybe a little. Very different? Eh. Trendon is 27th in the country, Christian was 38th.

5 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

To play devil’s advocate, what makes you think that they wouldn’t do something given the chance?  I can only assume that Trendon’s recruitment is very different than Christian’s.

Just the history with the program and the family. Everyone that has ever been involved with the family and has had interaction with them has said they are first class. They are thought of highly. Christian has been nothing but great for IU. And seems to be a quality person.  I mean I can’t say that with 100% certainty but everything I’ve ever heard or read leaves me to believe they would have nothing to do with anything shady.

18 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Just an FYI...

What was once a dead recruitment...

Is no longer dead. 

😎

Cool. If Ostrom or Bruiser is heading out I have no problem hiring high school coaches. Only reason I brought it up earlier today was I haven't heard of an assistant coach being hired before a head coach was in place. Just to repeat....no issues with Watford family. Just seemed odd. 

11 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Watfords aren’t shady people

Never said they were.  I was commenting on the question of what Duke would offer.  I made a "Blue Chips" joke and tied it in with the person that would be coaching him if he were to choose Memphis.

27 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

So other than Alabama trying to hire a Watford high school coach and Duke gaining momentum, what does any of this do for us having any kind of a chance?

I think maybe one of the parties just made contact with the other one. 

Wait.. isnt MCDAA practices going on? TJD relaying info to AM? It could happen. 

Also.. I ZERO problem hiring a HS coach as an assistant.

42 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Also.. and I thought this all along, Watford would compliment TJD a lot better than Brooks would in college. Watford is a better shooter than Brooks (not as athletic though) but Watford will stretch the floor much better. 

Presuming we could only have one or the other, I've wanted Watford over Brooks since the start.  For the above reasons, and because of the fact that seeing a Watford somewhere other than Indiana would just not sit right. 

Archived