Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

2 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Presuming we could only have one or the other, I've wanted Watford over Brooks since the start.  For the above reasons, and because of the fact that seeing a Watford somewhere other than Indiana would just not sit right. 

Don't like our chances to land him, but he is a much bigger get than Brooks if only for the fact of Brooks being all about the one and done route and Watford we could have for 3/4 years. The former works against Archie's efforts to instill a new culture while the latter can help it immensely. 

The only thing that really stunk to me is potentially in-state recruiting momentum. If kids view this in the state as a step back, then that is a legit concern. Everything else about Keion, would have been nice, but not losing sleep on the way that one ended.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here is my take on this recruitment....a team like Memphis needs a player like Trendon to help make them relevant, with a much needed validation for Penny as a recruiter. Duke is Duke...All I can say about this recent development is that it would be flattering to most recruits. IMO, Trendon would rarely see the floor and get lost on Duke's bench.

Indiana really needs a player like Trendon for various reasons.

1. Archie reviving IU's recruiting by attracting and landing high profile HS recruits. (starting with the state of Indiana)

2. Trendon following his brother to IU shows trust and confidence in the direction IU is going. It also shows validation to other future recruits with younger brothers who are looking at IU.

3. Most importantly, recruits from the IU "family" help extend IU's tradition and IU's story.

5 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

There is definitely some smoke to this recruitment at the moment. Let’s see what happens between now and his announcement.

Looking like Alabama and LSU were #1 and #2 on the list with Memphis #3, not sure how distant. The top 2 have changed Coaches, so hopefully this turns into an IU vs. Memphis choice.

A family friend told me today there is more thought being given to IU. Don't know if it's attrition due to the coaching situations at Bama and LSU, but first positive I've heard in a long time. Memphis is still the leader, but a better chance for us now. Still heard nothing on Trendon's coach and Bama. That happening would honestly shock me. Still think it prudent for the Watfords to see who Bama hires.  

Trendon doesn't want to get stuck playing the 5, and Memphis has James Wiseman. We have Deron for one more year, and of course TJD. Hopefully they can build a bond and see how they could compliment one another. And let's not forget Rob.  A pass first point that doesn't dominate the ball is a huge commodity. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

A family friend told me today there is more thought being given to IU. Don't know if it's attrition due to the coaching situations at Bama and LSU, but first positive I've heard in a long time. Memphis is still the leader, but a better chance for us now. Still heard nothing on Trendon's coach and Bama. That happening would honestly shock me. Still think it prudent for the Watfords to see who Bama hires.  

Trendon doesn't want to get stuck playing the 5, and Memphis has James Wiseman. We have Deron for one more year, and of course TJD. Hopefully they can build a bond and see how they could compliment one another. And let's not forget Rob.  A pass first point that doesn't dominate the ball is a huge commodity. 

If that’s the case with playing the 5 maybe that is why IU has had back channel talks with Brunk. Davis, Brunk, and TJD that can play the 5. Then they have Thompson, Smith, and Forrester at the 4. That would leave Hunter and Watford for the 3 spot and they could play the 4 if needed. 

If you watched that rivals interview it seemed that he was most excited when talking of Memphis. He knows the other recruits already committed their best. I’d be very surprised if he chose any place other than Memphis. Even if Mike Miller leaves. 

We need Duke to not offer. Sounds like Memphis is probably in the lead. Obviously Trendon does not need to visit IU. As CoachSS said a while back, IU told TW they wanted to recruit him, but to let them know if he wanted them to, as TW wanted to carve his own path separate from CWat. He didn't for a while. He does now, and I don't think the Watfords are interested in wasting IU's time. 

34 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

If that’s the case with playing the 5 maybe that is why IU has had back channel talks with Brunk. Davis, Brunk, and TJD that can play the 5. Then they have Thompson, Smith, and Forrester at the 4. That would leave Hunter and Watford for the 3 spot and they could play the 4 if needed. 

Still believe Trendon is a 4. 

18 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Still believe Trendon is a 4. 

That's what I was going to say.  Christian you could make a case for, as he really was a stretch 4.  Not sure if he's laterally quick enough to guard a super quick 3, but he was defensively savvy enough to not make it a liability.  Could definitely shoot like a 3.

They're pretty much the same height, but Trendon is built much bigger than Christian.  He's probably got 10-15 lbs on Christian right now, compared to Christian as a senior at IU.   Much broader in the chest/shoulders.  His weakness is the same as Christian's; he's not quite to that upper-elite tier of athletes.  I'd question his ability to guard a 3. 

He's a perfect player to create some matchup/spacing chaos with, IMO.  He's got good range, but also has the bulk to play down low.  Let him bull around smaller defenders in or around the paint, and make bigger defenders chase him around the perimeter. 

8 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

That's what I was going to say.  Christian you could make a case for, as he really was a stretch 4.  Not sure if he's laterally quick enough to guard a super quick 3, but he was defensively savvy enough to not make it a liability.  Could definitely shoot like a 3.

They're pretty much the same height, but Trendon is built much bigger than Christian.  He's probably got 10-15 lbs on Christian right now, compared to Christian as a senior at IU.   Much broader in the chest/shoulders.  His weakness is the same as Christian's; he's not quite to that upper-elite tier of athletes.  I'd question his ability to guard a 3. 

He's a perfect player to create some matchup/spacing chaos with, IMO.  He's got good range, but also has the bulk to play down low.  Let him bull around smaller defenders in or around the paint, and make bigger defenders chase him around the perimeter. 

Oddly enough CW was most effective defensively guarding PGs (Appling) where he could use his length and height against their quickness, he would play a step or two off them and just be solid and make them shoot over him. (I agree CW didnt defend wings very well). 

I also really like what I've seen from DD off the bench. Play 18 mins off the bench, change of pace for us. Has sort of became a "tough guy". Gotten into with multiple players from other teams which I really like and has done a nice job with post isos offensively and defensively and has scored some in the pick and roll with RP. 

I think you could go TJD at the 5, Watford at the 4. If Hunter were the 3.. you'd still be 6'9, 6'8, 6'7 in the starting lineup and bring incredible experience with Smith and DD off the bench. 

Just now, btownqb said:

Oddly enough CW was most effective defensively guarding PGs (Appling) where he could use his length and height against their quickness, he would play a step or two off them and just be solid and make them shoot over him. (I agree CW didnt defend wings very well). 

I did forget about that until now.  Used his wingspan to disrupt passing lanes pretty well too. 

2 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I also really like what I've seen from DD off the bench. Play 18 mins off the bench, change of pace for us. Has sort of became a "tough guy". Gotten into with multiple players from other teams which I really like and has done a nice job with post isos offensively and defensively and has scored some in the pick and roll with RP. 

He’s in a way become somewhat of a leader I think during this NIT and the last 6 or so games.  Love what he brings.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I think you could go TJD at the 5, Watford at the 4. If Hunter were the 3.. you'd still be 6'9, 6'8, 6'7 in the starting lineup and bring incredible experience with Smith and DD off the bench. 

You could run them more or less like hockey shifts.  TJD-Watford-Hunter and Davis-Smith-Race.  Or, mix and match as needed. 

Edit: Whichever group were the starters vs coming off the bench, I'm fine with. 

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

He’s in a way become somewhat of a leader I think during this NIT and the last 6 or so games.  Love what he brings.

Absolutely.  We haven't had a player with "edge" since Sheehey.  De'Ron is starting to approach that level. 

25 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Yes.. I think keeping him in that role moving forward (assuming other things come together) might be the best route. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Guessing based off of what I've read, but Watford sounds like a perfect four for us. Fits a need based on our team better than KBJ actually...starting 5 of:

Rob, Devonte/Al, Hunter, Watford, Davis/TJD. 

Yes please!

1 minute ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Guessing based off of what I've read, but Watford sounds like a perfect four for us. Fits a need based on our team better than KBJ actually...starting 5 of:

Rob, Devonte/Al, Hunter, Watford, Davis/TJD. 

Yes please!

With these various position analogies in regards to Trendon.....,Which school, Memphis or IU, is going to give him the most playing time with the best fit?.... Bottom line here, he's not going to start at Duke and will be fighting for minutes. I am sure all these cenarios we are going over are the same ones Trendon is mulling over too.

20 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

With these various position analogies in regards to Trendon.....,Which school, Memphis or IU, is going to give him the most playing time with the best fit?.... Bottom line here, he's not going to start at Duke and will be fighting for minutes. I am sure all these cenarios we are going over are the same ones Trendon is mulling over too.

I'd say either one. 

Memphis looked pretty thin on size this past year, and are graduating two 6'8" forwards.  They have a 7-footer and a 6'7" forward that looks more like a wing coming in.  (Take that for what it's worth.  I didn't watch Memphis at all this past year, and just glanced at their incoming recruits.)

Archived