Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

3 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

It was hard to watch the McD AA game. So much talk about the advantages of the top players going together to one place to be a super team. Said Zion wouldn’t be the top pick had he gone to Clemson. Having great players together helps hide individual weakness. Even mentioned Romeo as an example. Said players should really consider whether following their heart is the best business decision. If that’s prevailing opinion, then you’ll have 2 to 3 super teams each year and no one else can compete 

Yet UK and Duke has won only one championship apiece while Villanova has had two since the one and done has taken place.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yet UK and Duke has won only one championship apiece while Villanova has had two since the one and done has taken place.

And UNC has 3. Not to say they're clean, but Roy's recruiting tends to follow more the pattern of Wrights. Not OAD heavy.

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know, but there was always excitement around it for guys in the past, even bigs like Zeller, Vonleh and Bryant who wouldn’t really thrive in the setting. Just seems like not a ton of excitment around him for some reason. 

I think people are starving for results, instead of hope.

I ain’t going to lie...this is a desperate fan base. We are good fans but frustration is building for so long it may just explode on Archie if he doesn’t get us back in the tourney soon. Sucks for him but we don’t have 6 or 7 years to make the tourney. The natives are getting restless.

11 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I ain’t going to lie...this is a desperate fan base. We are good fans but frustration is building for so long it may just explode on Archie if he doesn’t get us back in the tourney soon. Sucks for him but we don’t have 6 or 7 years to make the tourney. The natives are getting restless.

Absolutely NO way Archie is our head coach if he goes even 4 more years without making the tourney. Even the most ardent supporters of CAM would want him gone if he went his first 6 years without even a tourney birth. 

5 hours ago, BGleas said:

I know, but there was always excitement around it for guys in the past, even bigs like Zeller, Vonleh and Bryant who wouldn’t really thrive in the setting. Just seems like not a ton of excitment around him for some reason. 

All I know is highlights and what I read, but it seems like he’s not as college-ready as most 5 star recruits.  Doesn’t seem like he has high-level athleticism.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

Absolutely NO way Archie is our head coach if he goes even 4 more years without making the tourney. Even the most ardent supporters of CAM would want him gone if he went his first 6 years without even a tourney birth.  

Year 4 is when expectations rise.  Year 5, either fly or fall off the cliff. 

If we miss the tournament next year Archie's seat is going to be hot.  Miss it in year 4, and he won't have a year 5.

Not defending Crean, because he had a fair chance,  but he inherited nothing and made the dance in year 4.  Some people said that wasn't quick enough.

I like Archie and really want to see him succeed,  but in his first 2 years there have been way too many games his team failed the "I give a crap test."

If his first 2 years, if we come out and play hard from start to finish,  year 1 is a bubble team (maybe in) and this year a tournament team easily. 

I'm restless like lots of fans; however, CAM has inherited a roster of players who just may not be a great fit for his coaching and game style. It may take a couple years for coach and players to figure each other out. That seems to be this year. We loose a couple to transfer maybe and that is fine and probably what is needed. As the roster fills out with CAM players in years 3 and 4 there should start to be improvement. On top of that it is difficult to build on court chemistry when a third of your roster spent significant time injured missing practices and games together. 

I understand restlessness. Patience is important. This fan base just doesn't seem to have patience. It takes time to build something most of the time. You've got to have a strong base/foundation to build on. That is what I believe CAM has been working on. I think next year is a Ncaa Tourney team and year four is when they start to really show what has been built and then it's sustaining the success in the years that follow. 

17 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

I'm restless like lots of fans; however, CAM has inherited a roster of players who just may not be a great fit for his coaching and game style. It may take a couple years for coach and players to figure each other out. That seems to be this year. We loose a couple to transfer maybe and that is fine and probably what is needed. As the roster fills out with CAM players in years 3 and 4 there should start to be improvement. On top of that it is difficult to build on court chemistry when a third of your roster spent significant time injured missing practices and games together. 

I understand restlessness. Patience is important. This fan base just doesn't seem to have patience. It takes time to build something most of the time. You've got to have a strong base/foundation to build on. That is what I believe CAM has been working on. I think next year is a Ncaa Tourney team and year four is when they start to really show what has been built and then it's sustaining the success in the years that follow. 

Heck, he inherited a roster that performed poorly the previous season and then lost it's 3 best players.  Add in being too late in the '17 recruiting class to bring in players he prefers and ending up with a 3 man class that was not highly regarded and has performed accordingly.  His only recruiting class thus far included a kid that put up 16 or so points per game, a point guard who played well for a freshman (with definite potential to be really good), and a player who we believe could be good to great but missed the entire season.

I think we're all disappointed, some even angry, but really the root of our disappointment is a nearly two decade span of poor hirings, poor decisions, and poor results. Restless is probably tbe best description, but Archie is not the main cause of it.

12 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

. This fan base just doesn't seem to have patience. It takes time to build something most of the time. You've got to have a strong base/foundation to build on. That is what I believe CAM has been working on. I think next year is a Ncaa Tourney team and year four is when they start to really show what has been built and then it's sustaining the success in the years that follow. 

Through the years the fan base has been incredibly patient as the Hall has been filled even though we have largely (with a few exceptions) been mediocre for 25 freaking years.  Unfortunately for Archie, because he had zero to do with the years prior to his arrival, he is the coach at a time when some of the base “just can’t take it anymore”.  Playing hard (man it’s sad that a primary focus is hoping the players decide to give consistent effort) and making the tourney next year will remedy the situation. 

39 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Heck, he inherited a roster that performed poorly the previous season and then lost it's 3 best players.  Add in being too late in the '17 recruiting class to bring in players he prefers and ending up with a 3 man class that was not highly regarded and has performed accordingly.  His only recruiting class thus far included a kid that put up 16 or so points per game, a point guard who played well for a freshman (with definite potential to be really good), and a player who we believe could be good to great but missed the entire season.

I think we're all disappointed, some even angry, but really the root of our disappointment is a nearly two decade span of poor hirings, poor decisions, and poor results. Restless is probably tbe best description, but Archie is not the main cause of it.

I'll add that he has another player in Race that I think will be really good once he gets settled in and gets to play a full season. Really tough to sit all year and then be thrown into tough late season games. Even with that....he basically won the Wisc game for us with his D against Happ. I think he'll have a great next 3 years.

Not so sure about the other 2 that were part of that 6 man class.... time will tell on them. 

2 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Spot on. Mods, is there a way to sticky this post to any "Archie sux" comments?

4 hours ago, Zuckerkorn said:

I would go as far to say that year 1 shouldn't count against him. What would Crean have done with that team? Probably about the same or worse. What would Crean have done with this year's team? Probably much worse because there wouldn't have been Langford, Phinisee, possibly no Morgan.

I'd rather take my chances with Archie because we wouldn't be any better off with Crean still here and could possibly still be looking at another year or two of mediocrity if we hadn't moved on.

So, back to Watford. Has there been any news at all out of Bama on what his plans are? I know that we haven’t really recruited him all that much, but things have been extremely quiet here. As in, Watford might be the least talked about burger boy in the country. 

Another thing seems odd... with the talks of Justin Smith transfer, one has to ask themself, why? Is he potentially being recruited over(insert Watford)? Or does he possibly just not feel like IU is the place he needs to be? 

Talked with someone around Trendon's team today, and he said the Watford's are going to give Bama's new coach a solid look. They just didn't want Trendon to play for Avery. Asked about coach McMillan going to Bama, and he looked somewhat concerned and said, "I hope not".  Also mentioned Duke is going to have Trendon up for a visit after their season is over. Sounded like if they officially offer, he would go there. Asked about IU, and he just said, "I wouldn't count on it."  This person wasn't the family friend I usually talk with, but he is VERY involved with the team.

9 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Thank you. Not to much longer then.

Outside of the Brunk thread, I’m not sure that there is a thread of any eligible player that’ll be on next years roster. Probably come out of left field. I can rest easy knowing Archie would rather bank it than fill it with an April or Priller type. 

Archived