Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

2 minutes ago, Ib4IU said:

Outside of the Brunk thread, I’m not sure that there is a thread of any eligible player that’ll be on next years roster. Probably come out of left field. I can rest easy knowing Archie would rather bank it than fill it with an April or Priller type. 

He will fill them with grad transfers or de-commits

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Talked with someone around Trendon's team today, and he said the Watford's are going to give Bama's new coach a solid look. They just didn't want Trendon to play for Avery. Asked about coach McMillan going to Bama, and he looked somewhat concerned and said, "I hope not".  Also mentioned Duke is going to have Trendon up for a visit after their season is over. Sounded like if they officially offer, he would go there. Asked about IU, and he just said, "I wouldn't count on it."  This person wasn't the family friend I usually talk with, but he is VERY involved with the team.

Any mention of Lewis, or is that a non-factor?

I saw an interview with Trendon during the McDonald's AA pregame festivities which pretty much confirmed what Hoosierinbham said.  Trenton said he had set up his last official visit with Duke, and they were recruiting hard.  He acknowledged Wade's suspension, but said they were still a finalist.  He said he was expecting to hear from Alabama's new coach, and they were still in the mix.  He said he had been talking with CAM and TJD, and IU was still in the finalists.  He also mentioned Memphis, and he knew one or two of their recruits well.  He said he expected to commit around the time of the Jordan Brand game which is April 20.

9 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So we lost 5 star recruits to Duke and UK in the past month?? Pretty much confirms we aren’t a blue blood anymore. We got a long climb to get back to the top.

Our last coach famously had us in recruiting battles with the likes of Incarnate Word and Montana State... I say we’re on an upward trend based on your first sentence😛

1 hour ago, Bob said:

There are a lot of good players out there! . Look at Wofford, UCF, VT, Auburn, Purdue, Houston, Archie needs to found them. We as fans need to give him time to build a team. He needs at least three classes he recuited to judge him.

Yes, there are always plenty of good players out there and that's something that I find frustrating - how do we always seem to have players on the roster who seem so limited in their ability.

Archie and staff do need to find them, through any available avenue.  It seems like an awful lot of teams are able to find very good foreign players but on the rare occasions we've had one, they're major project players that don't become contributors.

23 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Yes, there are always plenty of good players out there and that's something that I find frustrating - how do we always seem to have players on the roster who seem so limited in their ability.

Archie and staff do need to find them, through any available avenue.  It seems like an awful lot of teams are able to find very good foreign players but on the rare occasions we've had one, they're major project players that don't become contributors.

We have to keep in mind that when we watch a wofford team (just one example) that look so good and have players that were “found” they ducked for YEARS AND YEARS, and finally struck gold by trying dozens and dozens of diamonds in the rough. It’s not like most years The Woffords is the world find these studs and live in the tourney and make final fours every few years.

9 minutes ago, IUALUM03 said:

Trendon needs to take a hard look at Jordan tucker before committing to Duke. I think he has the potential to be a great player, but he needs to worry about being buried behind the next 5 star every year he stays.

I totally agree but get the feeling that won’t cross his mind. From his quotes it seems like talking to duke is like talking to the Pope if you’re Catholic.

1 hour ago, BADGERVOL said:

We have to keep in mind that when we watch a wofford team (just one example) that look so good and have players that were “found” they ducked for YEARS AND YEARS, and finally struck gold by trying dozens and dozens of diamonds in the rough. It’s not like most years The Woffords is the world find these studs and live in the tourney and make final fours every few years.

Exactly right.  With good evaluation and a wide net there are always players that are "good bets" out there.  I never liked the project type players.  Recruiting raw unknowns with the hope they'll explode isn't what we need at this point. Players that show the drive and demeanor is the better approach, even if their upside doesn't include the NBA.

Every recruit comes with a certain amount of uncertainty and there will be misses.  I guess what I'm getting at is that wise and thorough recruiting is better than limiting your focus to a particular region or number of "stars" a kid has. Other coaches find them regularly and I hope we can do the same.

14 hours ago, dgambill said:

So we lost 5 star recruits to Duke and UK in the past month?? Pretty much confirms we aren’t a blue blood anymore. We got a long climb to get back to the top.

Yep, I guess UNC isn't a blueblood anymore either! Lost out on Brooks to UK and lost to Auburn in the S16. What a sad state of affairs for Roy and a once blueblood program in Chapel Hill.......

1 hour ago, Zuckerkorn said:

Exactly right.  With good evaluation and a wide net there are always players that are "good bets" out there.  I never liked the project type players.  Recruiting raw unknowns with the hope they'll explode isn't what we need at this point. Players that show the drive and demeanor is the better approach, even if their upside doesn't include the NBA.

Every recruit comes with a certain amount of uncertainty and there will be misses.  I guess what I'm getting at is that wise and thorough recruiting is better than limiting your focus to a particular region or number of "stars" a kid has. Other coaches find them regularly and I hope we can do the same.

If you do a good job evaluating and you consistently bring in 2-3 stars vs 3-4 stars the 3-4 are gonna pan out more often than the 2-3. Both will have stars and both flops and rankings are never a sure thing, but give me a smart coach who seed things and looks for fits AND lands 3-4-5 stars consistently any day over ones who land 2-3 all the time.

I do want a coach who doesn’t automatically go for 4-5 star guys and doesn’t at least see the potential of 3 star guys. And after a while those coaches earn the right to sign those 3 star guys and not get flack from their fan base.

but I never bought the idea that Crean consistently found diamonds in the rough. When you sign 3 stars often and give them every chance to play then yes a couple will pan out. Doesn’t mean you have a great eye for it. Maybe a solid eye but you don’t get to fail 75% of the time and carry the notion you’re great at spotting them.

Archived