Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

2 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Archie has a family and is recruiting other people, I think the Watfords have enough respect for IU that they would not waste Miller's time having him come talk to Trendon if Indiana was still not a possibility.  They would just let him know over the phone if we were out of it.

Exactly.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty surprised by us getting an in home. Maybe just the family wanting to let our staff know in person what direction he's headed. Hopefully some of these kids start announcing soon. We have immediate playing time and open scholarships and we can't seem to get anyone to say yes to us.

I am concerned that 2 bad seasons back to back has caused a loss of appeal to some of the players being recruited. Makes us an easy target for other schools to negative recruit against us.

4 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I am concerned that 2 bad seasons back to back has caused a loss of appeal to some of the players being recruited. Makes us an easy target for other schools to negative recruit against us.

It is a concern. I mentioned either in this thread or another one the same thoughts. Very, very important recruiting time for Archie and his staff. Shine is off the new hire....almost. 

15 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

It is a concern. I mentioned either in this thread or another one the same thoughts. Very, very important recruiting time for Archie and his staff. Shine is off the new hire....almost. 

I agree Archie can’t be digging out of a hole in year 4 and 5

1 hour ago, Cutter said:

It always seems like that would be a reasonable conclusion and I’m sure it does for some, but I’ve follow recruiting for so many years and wins and losses doesn’t seem to always be a big factor. However our chemistry issues or perception of it might be.

time and again it seems great recruiters find ways to sell positives and minimize negatives and that changes every year depending on the hand they’re dealt.

12 minutes ago, rico said:

Over the past couple of seasons and including this coming season we are seeing more and more big time recruits go to a lessor brand name schools.  There is a reason for that, and that is open for debate.

Only one real reason I can think of...and it isn't good. And there's really no logical reason for it.

If you want to get paid, play in obscurity, and practice in less than ideal facilities, there's the G league or overseas leagues...

6 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Only one real reason I can think of...and it isn't good. And there's really no logical reason for it.

If you want to get paid, play in obscurity, and practice in less than ideal facilities, there's the G league or overseas leagues...

LSU, Washington, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia, and Memphis would disagree with you.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Pretty surprised by us getting an in home. Maybe just the family wanting to let our staff know in person what direction he's headed. Hopefully some of these kids start announcing soon. We have immediate playing time and open scholarships and we can't seem to get anyone to say yes to us.

We know there’s immediate time to be had because we watched closely this season, but if you’re looking at IU from the outside or recruiting against IU, I think immediate playing time is something you can easily debunk. We need better players for sure, but at the same time we return three starters as well as another senior guard that played a ton of minutes. We also have a RS freshmen that has some hype (Hunter), a McDonalds AA (TJD), a senior center who is solidly in the rotation (Davis), and a RS sophomore (Thompson) who will expect some minutes, etc. 

IU needs a talent upgrade for sure, but I think the issue this cycle is that IU returns a lot of guys that played a lot but would most likely be served in lesser roles. 

59 minutes ago, rico said:

LSU, Washington, Western Kentucky, Vanderbilt, Georgia, and Memphis would disagree with you.

Obviously I misread what your notion of "brand name schools" is. I would say ANY school in a power 5 conference is "brand name." Pretty sure at this point any school in those leagues have every game televised. And that's one of the things kids today want...exposure. And 3 of the teams you mentioned are in the SEC where the rules don't seem to matter.

So I'll give you Memphis and Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky lures 2 5 stars in 2 years (one of which never plays for them). Im sorry, but like I said, If you want to get paid, play in obscurity, and practice in less than ideal facilities, there's the G league or overseas leagues...it makes no sense to me why. 5 star kid would go there.

And between Dana Kirk and John Calipari, I think we've seen what Memphis is all about. I'll give Penny the benefit of the doubt but color me skeptical.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

We know there’s immediate time to be had because we watched closely this season, but if you’re looking at IU from the outside or recruiting against IU, I think immediate playing time is something you can easily debunk. We need better players for sure, but at the same time we return three starters as well as another senior guard that played a ton of minutes. We also have a RS freshmen that has some hype (Hunter), a McDonalds AA (TJD), a senior center who is solidly in the rotation (Davis), and a RS sophomore (Thompson) who will expect some minutes, etc. 

IU needs a talent upgrade for sure, but I think the issue this cycle is that IU returns a lot of guys that played a lot but would most likely be served in lesser roles. 

Agreed, but I’d say the 4 spot could be our most “up for grabs” position this coming year 

3 hours ago, Cutter said:

Kids are smart and can see whats going on at the schools they are looking at.

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Obviously I misread what your notion of "brand name schools" is. I would say ANY school in a power 5 conference is "brand name." Pretty sure at this point any school in those leagues have every game televised. And that's one of the things kids today want...exposure. And 3 of the teams you mentioned are in the SEC where the rules don't seem to matter.

So I'll give you Memphis and Western Kentucky. Western Kentucky lures 2 5 stars in 2 years (one of which never plays for them). Im sorry, but like I said, If you want to get paid, play in obscurity, and practice in less than ideal facilities, there's the G league or overseas leagues...it makes no sense to me why. 5 star kid would go there.

And between Dana Kirk and John Calipari, I think we've seen what Memphis is all about. I'll give Penny the benefit of the doubt but color me skeptical.

Basically what I am saying or trying to say is some of these kids are turning their backs on the likes of UK and Duke.  Seems they want to go where they are the man.  But as I said it is all debatable.

9 minutes ago, rico said:

Basically what I am saying or trying to say is some of these kids are turning their backs on the likes of UK and Duke.  Seems they want to go where they are the man.  But as I said it is all debatable.

Then I misread your initial post totally.

UK and Duke only have so much playing time. I would imagine if you even question how much time on the floor you're going to get at a certain school, you'd look elsewhere.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Can Watford be a 3?

I really like the idea of starting TJD and Davis at the 4 and 5 (with Brunk hopefully in that rotation) and then look at Rob and Devonte at the 1 and 2 to start.  If Watford can play the 3 then I would think there are plenty of minutes there for him.  

24 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can Watford be a 3?

I really like the idea of starting TJD and Davis at the 4 and 5 (with Brunk hopefully in that rotation) and then look at Rob and Devonte at the 1 and 2 to start.  If Watford can play the 3 then I would think there are plenty of minutes there for him.  

He could in spurts but I don’t know if he would be a good full time 3.

IMO, I think on offense he could, at least some.  Christian was a hell of a player but I think Trendon has quite a bit more more mobility with the ball in his hands even though he’s a thick, strong guy for a rising freshman.  He can handle it on the move and make plays.  Does he have the quickness to be a defender in Archie’s system out on the wing?  I can’t answer that. 

We have needed a forward that can make plays for so long.  This wasn’t Scotty May and Steve Green last year.  We got practically nothing from the forward position last year. When Justin Smith played great against MSU, we could literally play with anybody.  

Trendon would help a lot, directly on our weakness.  

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

IU returns several guys....from a bad team. I wouldn’t be scared to compete for playing time at all. Smith could be beat out...time at the two as well because it isn’t like Durham is a top half of the league guard...minutes can be had there too. We are replacing our starting center so obviously that appealed to Trayce...who could play four or five. Lots of bench minutes too...outside Green not much scoring from the bench.

10 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Can Watford be a 3?

If 3 = pure SF and 4 = true PF, Trendon is about a 3.75.  Just for reference, Christian was about a 3.4-3.5. 

Archived