Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

Love the insider info even when it's wrong. These boards are for fun, nothing more nothing less. The highs and lows of a season and recruiting are what make things interesting. Who gives two sh**s if the insider info is wrong sometimes? I'd say it's been right more than wrong. The only time I cringe is when we start talking about teenagers' sex lives and only because it a little too gossipy for my taste (not to mention college relationships are not normally super serious/important). 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have no problem with anyone who has some info but why is it if they get called out it is like I will just take my ball and go home.  All season we see people come on here and second guess coaches and players and even AD's but if anyone wants to second guess the insiders it is frowned upon.

But why the need to call anyone out?  It's extremely fluid, running commentary.  If I'm watching a game with a buddy, and he corrects me in the 2nd half about a comment I made at the 9:28 mark in the first, based on the situation of the game at that point, not sure how interested I would be in continuing our conversation.  

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

But why the need to call anyone out?  It's extremely fluid, running commentary.  If I'm watching a game with a buddy, and he corrects me in the 2nd half about a comment I made at the 9:28 mark in the first, based on the situation of the game at that point, not sure how interested I would be in continuing our conversation.  

Just saying if they don't want to be second guessed then I don't want to see them doing the same thing to the coaches and players during the season.  Also I never called them out either just saying don't take their word as gospel and if that offends anyone then that is on them.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying if they don't want to be second guessed then I don't want to see them doing the same thing to the coaches and players during the season.

I understand your feelings of a double standard. But commenting on the team, players, and season results is not quite the same as bringing unique recruiting insight. I enjoy hearing different individual takes on the team, but don't place as much value on that as someone sharing private details on recruiting I would otherwise not have access to.

We can all offer opinions, but only a few have true inside knowledge of recruiting situations. I would prefer to foster an environment where people are encouraged to share info without fear of being called out. When people speak in absolutes, and are wrong, I can see a case for more scrutiny. Maybe that's just me.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

I understand your feelings of a double standard. But commenting on the team, players, and season results is not quite the same as bringing unique recruiting insight. I enjoy hearing different individual takes on the team, but don't place as much value on that as someone sharing private details on recruiting I would otherwise not have access to.

We can all offer opinions, but only a few have true inside knowledge of recruiting situations. I would prefer to foster an environment where people are encouraged to share info without fear of being called out. When people speak in absolutes, and are wrong, I can see a case for more scrutiny. Maybe that's just me.

I am pretty sure all the insiders on ESPN gets called out on a daily basis when they are wrong but they keep coming back with info.

I’ve stopped posting info not because of anything anyone has said but I’ve realized there are more important things in life.  Yes sometimes I/we “insiders” speak in absolutes when maybe we shouldn’t but also is there any reason to call the “insiders” out if and when they’re wrong?  There is far more negative when they are wrong than positives when they are right.  I will say some good came out of it however because I have found a friend that gives good advice and I think really cares even though we may not agree on things.  Thanks IUscott!

2 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

I’ve stopped posting info not because of anything anyone has said but I’ve realized there are more important things in life.  Yes sometimes I/we “insiders” speak in absolutes when maybe we shouldn’t but also is there any reason to call the “insiders” out if and when they’re wrong?  There is far more negative when they are wrong than positives when they are right.  I will say some good came out of it however because I have found a friend that gives good advice and I think really cares even though we may not agree on things.  Thanks IUscott!

No problem at all and hope everything is going fine with you

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Just saying if they don't want to be second guessed then I don't want to see them doing the same thing to the coaches and players during the season.  Also I never called them out either just saying don't take their word as gospel and if that offends anyone then that is on them.

I think sometimes it is not what you say but how you sometimes come across when you are saying it.

Take this above, who appointed you as the arbiter of "right think"?  Everyone here is free to share and criticize within the rules as they see fit.  If everyone thought alike, this would be a pretty boring forum. 

I think every single one of these guys has given the caveat that they give the info as presented to them in a point in time.  And it seems people only question them when the news is bad for Indiana.  

57 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am pretty sure all the insiders on ESPN gets called out on a daily basis when they are wrong but they keep coming back with info.

They get paid for their info....

If 0708 and SS were charging you for their info like Peegs and Rabjohns, I would say to criticize away.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think the entire problem stems from speaking in absolutes.  As a lawyer I can tell you that's almost always a bad idea.  Instead of saying "lock" or "done deal" just say "looks good" or "I like our chances".  I doubt there would ever be any criticism if so.  I personally love hearing inside info even if it later turns out to be false.

Ok, we love you. But come on. NOBODY on HSN speaks more in absolutes than you do.  Lol

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

They get paid for their info....

If 0708 and SS were charging you for their info like Peegs and Rabjohns, I would say to criticize away.

While 0708 and CoachSS have been bringing us intel for literally years now, I would also like to mention that others who want to step up to the plate and offer intel should not be dissed either. Over the years, some of my best intel has come from students, who just did not feel comfortable sharing on the board.  So, I ask again, whenever we have ANYONE willing to share.... accept what they are offering, and decide for yourself as to the value of what they are bringing to us.

0708 is the very perfect example.  We all first met 0708 one fateful Friday night on John Decker's Hoosier Nation on the old Scout platform.  He brought us the goods of Kelvin Sampson.  Only to have his post deleted by Mr. Decker.  I talked to Mr. Decker about this.  And thank goodness for him as well as the board, 0708 came back the following Friday night.... with all the specs about Kelvin Sampson.  This time, Mr. Decker allowed the thread to stand.  Keep in mind... no other IU site at that time was reporting what was going on with Kelvin Sampson, much less getting the details of the buyout correct, down to the dollar. I have told this story before.... but Mr. Decker got credit for breaking the story about Sampson, not 0708.

So long as a member is willing to share, and IS NOT breaking the rules.... accept what they are offering.  And decide for yourself about what they are wanting to share with us.... no matter how outrageous the news, at the time may seem to be.

And the part above about only wanting to hear good news, rather than bad, is something that I have experienced myself in the past.  No finer example as when I shared  two weeks before it happened, that Gunner Keil would not be coming to IU, after he committed. I got skewered for that.

More recent examples.  Sometimes I get the intel wrong, or embellished.  But we ALL should be allowed to share without having to worry about what we are sharing.... so long as we are not breaking the rules.

Crazy is correct.  This is a free board.   Please don't drive posters away, regardless of how long they have been a member, simply because you may not agree with what they are attempting to bring to the board.

2 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think the entire problem stems from speaking in absolutes.  As a lawyer I can tell you that's almost always a bad idea.  Instead of saying "lock" or "done deal" just say "looks good" or "I like our chances".  I doubt there would ever be any criticism if so.  I personally love hearing inside info even if it later turns out to be false.

Now you are speaking my language.  Speaking in absolutes so often burns the speaker whether it's "done deal" or "he's not coming here".  Well said.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have no problem with anyone who has some info but why is it if they get called out it is like I will just take my ball and go home.  All season we see people come on here and second guess coaches and players and even AD's but if anyone wants to second guess the insiders it is frowned upon.

Having a difference of opinion is fine, but why does anyone feel a need to "call out" an insider?  Do people get some secret thrill from reminding an insider all the time how they were wrong about something?

I don't get it.

8 minutes ago, cybergates said:

How often does this insider conversation occur: Monthly, quarterly? SSDD.

Pretty much depends on the time of the season, and which sport.  For me, it has not been happening enough.  One thing that set Hoosier Sports Nation apart, was the intel members at one time felt comfortable sharing.  That environment needs to return. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Bashing an "insider" for being wrong is like bashing your TV for showing IU losing. Assuming they're being honest, "insiders" have no control over the content of their message. 

5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Bashing an "insider" for being wrong is like bashing your TV for showing IU losing. Assuming they're being honest, "insiders" have no control over the content of their message. 

Still don't see where I bashed anyone at all because all  I said is not to take any ones word as gospel.  If this is bashing this world is getting way to soft and people are way to sensitive.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Still don't see where I bashed anyone at all because all  I said is not to take any ones word as gospel.  If this is bashing this world is getting way to soft and people are way to sensitive.

Seriously, Scott...

As a great coach's wife once said, "The horse is dead...get off of it."

I really don't like how toxic are fans are becoming. I understand that frustration of the current status of our program. But I don't see how lashing out on anyone helps at all. I enjoy hearing whatever info people give even if the news isn't pleasing to my ears. Nor do I assume that what they are saying is going to come true. We also need to stop bashing our coach and players constantly. Some constructive criticism can be fine but it can also be cancerous. It ok to be upset and frustrated. But how we express that anger can be counter productive. 

35 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Would it be helpful if we quoted your posts and dissected your tone, etc.?  You'd have to have a thick skin to take such criticism constructively, but if you want some feedback on what you're doing wrong, I'm sure there are people willing to help.  I'm serious about this...no joke and no sarcasm.  I don't think you realize how you're coming across here.

Getting back on topic, while I don't think we're landing Trendon I definitely think IU is the safe choice for him.  He can slide in immediately and start at the 3 which is his NBA position.  He'll have an elite PG in RP to dish him the ball and he'll get tons of exposure at IU.  Bama with a new coach makes little sense and LSU makes even less with Will Wade.  Do you really want to risk going to Memphis and playing for Penny who is completely unproven?  It could turn out well for him but it could also be a total train wreck.  I can almost guarantee you Simmi Shittu wishes he had gone to UNC and not signed up to play for Drewfus.

Archived