Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

4 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I have no problem with anyone who has some info but why is it if they get called out it is like I will just take my ball and go home.  All season we see people come on here and second guess coaches and players and even AD's but if anyone wants to second guess the insiders it is frowned upon.

They don't get paid.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, bluegrassIU said:

Ok, we love you. But come on. NOBODY on HSN speaks more in absolutes than you do.  Lol

And when have I ever stated such as insider information rather than just my opinion?  Also, when I'm wrong I don't get butt hurt over criticism.  Rather I welcome it.  I was wrong about landing Romeo and deserved any criticism for that. 

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

And when have I ever stated such as insider information rather than just my opinion?  Also, when I'm wrong I don't get butt hurt over criticism.  Rather I welcome it.  I was wrong about landing Romeo and deserved any criticism for that. 

Take posts for what they are. Some give the best info they have or their best guess. Sometimes they are right and sometimes wrong. Sometimes they might be right at that moment ( I do believe Brooks was a lock for IU at one time). Until the dotted line is signed no one really knows what is going to happen since  kids do change their minds. I do get excited at times when I see this kid or that kid is leaning (or a lock) but I also try to remember it ain't over till its over. If you stop sharing rumors, best info, guesses then there will not be a site to look at. Thanks for any info that is shared even if it doesn't come true.  Was on another site several years ago and a poster (who generally was right) posted a particular coach was going to be hired and  it didn't come to pass. The poster who was an asset to the site took so much heat he quit posting, the site wasn't better for this for sure. THIS IS NOT TOWARDS ANY POSTER AND JUST MY OPINION. Chill out. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

Getting back on topic, while I don't think we're landing Trendon I definitely think IU is the safe choice for him.  He can slide in immediately and start at the 3 which is his NBA position.  He'll have an elite PG in RP to dish him the ball and he'll get tons of exposure at IU.  Bama with a new coach makes little sense and LSU makes even less with Will Wade.  Do you really want to risk going to Memphis and playing for Penny who is completely unproven?  It could turn out well for him but it could also be a total train wreck.  I can almost guarantee you Simmi Shittu wishes he had gone to UNC and not signed up to play for Drewfus.

How effectively can Archie sell Watford on immediately starting at the 3 when he’s only ever started started a three guard lineup?

57 minutes ago, iuvol said:

Take posts for what they are. Some give the best info they have or their best guess. Sometimes they are right and sometimes wrong. Sometimes they might be right at that moment ( I do believe Brooks was a lock for IU at one time). Until the dotted line is signed no one really knows what is going to happen since  kids do change their minds. I do get excited at times when I see this kid or that kid is leaning (or a lock) but I also try to remember it ain't over till its over. If you stop sharing rumors, best info, guesses then there will not be a site to look at. Thanks for any info that is shared even if it doesn't come true.  Was on another site several years ago and a poster (who generally was right) posted a particular coach was going to be hired and  it didn't come to pass. The poster who was an asset to the site took so much heat he quit posting, the site wasn't better for this for sure. THIS IS NOT TOWARDS ANY POSTER AND JUST MY OPINION. Chill out. 

I can't tell you how much I value this post.

In terms of things changing over time.... my fall back has always been Jared Jeffries.  Went to bed the night before his announcement, telling his parents his decision was NOT Indiana.  Only to wake up the next morning, saying he changed his mind, and was coming to IU.

This was before the time of Twitter.  But, just suppose.  If Jared's parents tweeted out that night that Jared was NOT coming to IU.  Would that make them liars ?  I think not. Just that they would have tweeted out the best information available to them (what Jared told them), at the time. 

You are absolutely right.  With teenagers.... things do change.

------------------

I want to add, it's time to layoff of Scott.  We picked up a new member, today, because of this thread. I don't want to lose a long time member, because of this thread.

13 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I can't tell you how much I value this post.

In terms of things changing over time.... my fall back has always been Jared Jeffries.  Went to bed the night before his announcement, telling his parents his decision was NOT Indiana.  Only to wake up the next morning, saying he changed his mind, and was coming to IU.

This was before the time of Twitter.  But, just suppose.  If Jared's parents tweeted out that night that Jared was NOT coming to IU.  Would that make them liars ?  I think not. Just that they would have tweeted out the best information available to them (what Jared told them), at the time. 

You are absolutely right.  With teenagers.... things do change.

------------------

I want to add, it's time to layoff of Scott.  We picked up a new member, today, because of this thread. I don't want to lose a long time member, because of this thread.

I am good and wouldn't leave this site unless I was told to.  People will disagree and some will not like me which is fine because you can't be liked by everyone.  This site is great and is a lot more tame than another site I use to post on.  I left that site because people on their made it personal and take shots at people which this site does not do.

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

...but you'll never live down "dumb as a banana"...:jumprope::nansplit::jumprope:

...all in good fun, man...all in good fun... (thanks for the emogis)

10 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I know someone who is very, very, very connected to the IUBB scene. He shared something that was going on (at the time) last year. Something changed. People mocked him for it. He doesn’t post here anymore. It isn’t because he doesn’t have thick skin. There just isn’t anything in it for him. 

This is why people who know what is going on leave or become super quiet over time. Because people who hide behind fake names and firewalls tell them they are wrong or don’t know what they are talking about. 

It’s especially rich when the guy I am referring too has flown privately with members of the coaching staff. 

Just passing along. 

I wasn't necessarily speaking specifically about anyone in particular,  I was just being general. 

However your friend who stop posting because they were mocked and didn't find anything in it for them anymore amuses me, because what they didn't find in it for them anymore may have well been the glory they were to receive when their info was right, and when they didn't receive that they left.  Just my opinion. 

7 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think the entire problem stems from speaking in absolutes.  As a lawyer I can tell you that's almost always a bad idea.  Instead of saying "lock" or "done deal" just say "looks good" or "I like our chances".  I doubt there would ever be any criticism if so.  I personally love hearing inside info even if it later turns out to be false.

Speaking in absolutes bothers me as well, in everything, not just recruiting. 

8 hours ago, IndySportsPartizan said:

I'll add to this. Situations are fluid in life. Situations are infinitely more fluid when you are 18 and you have parents, siblings, friends, teachers, coaches, analysts telling you different pieces of information daily. The info you have one week might be 100% accurate, but 18 year old changes mind 2 weeks later and now it makes you look like you have bad info or bad sources. No one bats 100. Not even parents of these kids or the coaches who receive "word" straight from the players mouths. I could add a few more paragraphs to this, but I'll just leave it at that. 

I totally get the fluidity of recruiting,  and as mile said earlier I totally remember the Jared Jefferies recruitment, and with that being said there is no 100% accurate information when it comes to 17-18 year old kids until they sign the LOI.

8 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't get this attitude at all.  Why do we feel the need to be critical of incorrect predictions and drive insiders away?  Things change.  Minds change.  Why can't we simply be satisfied to have the Intel and take it for what it is?  Decisions are never a lock before they are signed on the dotted line.

I've heard two very different versions of what may have caused the chemistry issues last season, so one of them is likely very wrong.  Both sources were supposedly players and/or managers. I may never know what the real truth is and that's OK. I appreciate the information I got even if it turns out wrong. 

If an "insider" gets it wrong, why dogpile on him? What joy do we get from that and why are we not content to simply track an insider's accuracy level and judge new information through that lense?

Be critical and call them thin-skinned if you want, but when they're gone, they're gone. What does that gain us all?

I was wrong about a player visit (I think...still hasn't happened) and got called out by a few members over it. I took my medicine even though I still don't get why it's necessary to keep score of how much people get right or wrong when most of us are simply guessing or giving opinions.  I seriously considered taking a break from the forum at that point, but I guess I'm an addict. 

My advice? Keep score mentally and you'll know who to pay attention to. IMO calling people out when their information is imperfect is unnecessary and discourages those folks from sharing in the future. Who knows what we miss out on as a result.

You're barking up the wrong tree, I have no beef with insiders, whether they are right or wrong.  I am just questioning why they'd leave if they are wrong, because if you're proclaiming yourself an insider, then you should take the criticism that may come from it when you're info is wrong.  Insiders sure as heck get praised when they are right, why can't they be criticized when wrong?

If I'm keeping track correctly, in the last couple of days, the Brunk thread was hijacked by a Mr. Smith tweet. A separate thread was started for that topic. That thread was hijacked by Archie's offense. This one was hijacked by insider talk. This is my first off season on HSN. Is this how every thread goes?  

Is there any update about an actual visit by TW? 

43 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

If I'm keeping track correctly, in the last couple of days, the Brunk thread was hijacked by a Mr. Smith tweet. A separate thread was started for that topic. That thread was hijacked by Archie's offense. This one was hijacked by insider talk. This is my first off season on HSN. Is this how every thread goes?  

Is there any update about an actual visit by TW? 

We're the DB Cooper of message boards. Hijackings all over the place.

Regarding the insider debate, and this is my honest opinion, they are excellent posters who make great contributions even aside from scoops.  I mean, Coach SS has been around for years in various incarnations of our group and has always been nothing short of an articulate, knowledgeable poster about IU and the game of basketball.  Same thing with 708 and others.  

I have said it before but we have an excellent group with diverse views and experiences.  I appreciate all posters here.  Regarding any blowback, hopefully the insider posters can just keep in mind they are appreciated by an overwhelming majority.  

Here’s my take. I love this board, and the info that gets shared. Please keep doing it, as I will offer my opinions on players I am familiar with. If I’m wrong, awesome! Doesn’t make me less of a person or a contributor to my passions.

I am a high school special ed teacher. Guess what? I’m wrong at least once a day. Does that make me less of a teacher? I certainly hope not, no one is perfect. 

This is an internet message board. It’s great, but no reason to ever be butt hurt over anything on here. Ever. 

Love y’all keep doing your thing. I will do mine!

5 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Bashing an "insider" for being wrong is like bashing your TV for showing IU losing. Assuming they're being honest, "insiders" have no control over the content of their message. 

I've gone through a lot of TVs the last 3 years.

25 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Here’s my take. I love this board, and the info that gets shared. Please keep doing it, as I will offer my opinions on players I am familiar with. If I’m wrong, awesome! Doesn’t make me less of a person or a contributor to my passions.

I am a high school special ed teacher. Guess what? I’m wrong at least once a day. Does that make me less of a teacher? I certainly hope not, no one is perfect. 

This is an internet message board. It’s great, but no reason to ever be butt hurt over anything on here. Ever. 

Love y’all keep doing your thing. I will do mine!

Just want to thank you for the job you are doing, as a special ed teacher.    That is very special.  We have many teachers that have joined us here.  It's a privilege to have you as a member of our community.

Once again.  Hoosier Sports Nation is not just a fan board.  As we continue to learn more and more about our members in real life.  I love it !

Archived