Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If they both committed that would be a major coup for Archie. Theoretically we could start Rob, Hunter, Trendon, Trayce, and Brunk with Green, Al, Lester, Smith, and Davis coming off the bench...yikes that is pretty dang deep and hard to see where all the minutes would go....me thinks at best we only land 1 of the 2.

21 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If they both committed that would be a major coup for Archie. Theoretically we could start Rob, Hunter, Trendon, Trayce, and Brunk with Green, Al, Lester, Smith, and Davis coming off the bench...yikes that is pretty dang deep and hard to see where all the minutes would go....me thinks at best we only land 1 of the 2.

Only way Davis doesn't start is if he's injured...

1 hour ago, JcityHoosier said:

Only way Davis doesn't start is if he's injured...

I think Brunk starts...if I had my guess Davis will play a similar role that he did at the end of the season. I would say Hunter slides into Romeos role. Question becomes does Smith hold onto his role as our starting 4 or will TJD our work him for it. Normally I would say Trayce is a lock to start but Justin will be a junior...with a ton experience and flexibility in switching into more athletic wings if necessary. If Lester or Watford comes well it really gets interesting.

56 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Brunk starts...if I had my guess Davis will play a similar role that he did at the end of the season. I would say Hunter slides into Romeos role. Question becomes does Smith hold onto his role as our starting 4 or will TJD our work him for it. Normally I would say Trayce is a lock to start but Justin will be a junior...with a ton experience and flexibility in switching into more athletic wings if necessary. If Lester or Watford comes well it really gets interesting.

Honestly not trying to be rude to Justin and yes I admit I’m not a big fan, but you honestly don’t think TJD would take a chunk of his minutes and his starting spot? I have sort of assumed that was probable...

6 hours ago, BADGERVOL said:

Honestly not trying to be rude to Justin and yes I admit I’m not a big fan, but you honestly don’t think TJD would take a chunk of his minutes and his starting spot? I have sort of assumed that was probable...

I'll echo this. Not trying to be rude at all...but TJD is starting from minute 1. He knows it and others who he might be taking minutes from know it already  as well. So Justin or DD or anyone else can put those feelings aside. TJD will be starting. 

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I'll echo this. Not trying to be rude at all...but TJD is starting from minute 1. He knows it and others who he might be taking minutes from know it already  as well. So Justin or DD or anyone else can put those feelings aside. TJD will be starting. 

Rob, TJD, and Jerome (if healthy) are all locks to start IMO.  After that there's a bunch of guys fighting for the other 2 spots.

8 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Rob, TJD, and Jerome (if healthy) are all locks to start IMO.  After that there's a bunch of guys fighting for the other 2 spots.

Yep. And Trendon if he comes too. This isn't a knock on Davis at all. I really like him and always have. His home game vs Duke a couple years ago showed how valuable he can be. I think he was a +15 when on court (hurt by foul trouble). 

36 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Yep. And Trendon if he comes too. This isn't a knock on Davis at all. I really like him and always have. His home game vs Duke a couple years ago showed how valuable he can be. I think he was a +15 when on court (hurt by foul trouble). 

If he came, and the guys start who you think, it would be one hell of a going starting 5. 

PG - Phinisee So. 

SG - Green Sr. 

SF - Hunter Rs Fr. 

PF - Watford Fr. 

C - TJD Fr. 

To me Watford is a pure luxury addition. It also pushes TJD into the center position. Lots of youth there. I’d expect some roster shakeup if the above were to happen. Too many older guys sitting the bench. 

4 minutes ago, Feathery said:

If he came, and the guys start who you think, it would be one hell of a going starting 5. 

PG - Phinisee So. 

SG - Green Sr. 

SF - Hunter Rs Fr. 

PF - Watford Fr. 

C - TJD Fr. 

To me Watford is a pure luxury addition. It also pushes TJD into the center position. Lots of youth there. I’d expect some roster shakeup if the above were to happen. Too many older guys sitting the bench. 

This is just my own little theory. The youth part is what I believe Archie wanted to do from day 1 but because of certain administrative directives regarding our APR scores and keeping guys around Archie couldn't. If I were Archie I'd make it very clear to Fred. We tried it your way. Now it's my way. This opinion only applies if this situation plays out...but RP, Hunter, TJD, Trendon with DG or DD filling out starting 5 would be a very, very tasty roster with all signs pointing to 2021 Final 4 in Indy. 

9 minutes ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee So. 

SG - Green Sr. 

SF - Hunter Rs Fr. 

PF - Watford Fr. 

C - TJD Fr. 

I’m kind of with you here. IU needs a talent/skill upgrade in some spots, but there really isn’t a ton of time to dole out. If Watford comes, what happens to Smith and Race? Do people think Smith is going to be happy being a returning starter and moving to the bench? Race falls further down the depth chart and goes a 3rd straight year basically not playing? 

TJD would have to play more 5 to get Watford time, so that means less time for Brunk and De’Ron. 

23 minutes ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee So. 

SG - Green Sr. 

SF - Hunter Rs Fr. 

PF - Watford Fr. 

C - TJD Fr. 

I'd bet that this would be our lineup. 

Don’t minutes have to be earned in workouts and practices? I get rankings and what not, but I haven’t seen TJD or anyone else play defense or offense against anyone in practice yet. Ok I won’t see it, but you get what I’m saying? Minutes and spots should be earned, not promised!

46 minutes ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee So. 

SG - Green Sr. 

SF - Hunter Rs Fr. 

PF - Watford Fr. 

C - TJD Fr. 

So much for “getting old and staying old.”

12 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So much for “getting old and staying old.”

Positions are really only meaningful on Defense and the kids will be marched up based on opponents.  On offense they should play based on stengths.

Today the read and react/dribble drive can create a 5 out, 4-1, and 3-2 offense.  

Personally I'm not worried about positions.  If we have a point and a rim protector we will be fine.

Last year we did not have a true rim protector and Morgan had to match up against the competitions tallest longest player and he was over matched.  TJD has the ability to be a shot blocker and length to change shots.  Now, next year he might get pushed out of position and that is where Davis and Brunk come into play.  Watford fits in the same category and with his length TJD, Hunter, and him will be able to switch more often on D.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I’m kind of with you here. IU needs a talent/skill upgrade in some spots, but there really isn’t a ton of time to dole out. If Watford comes, what happens to Smith and Race? Do people think Smith is going to be happy being a returning starter and moving to the bench? Race falls further down the depth chart and goes a 3rd straight year basically not playing? 

TJD would have to play more 5 to get Watford time, so that means less time for Brunk and De’Ron. 

If you're not going to start JS you better Crean him.  He'll do much more harm than good coming off the bench.  I can only imagine his daddy on Twitter if that happens.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

That’s where this off season is SO important for them. If someone like Smith changes his attitude, is smarter on defense, works on an outside shot and gives better effort more consistently then yes he’ll probably start over TJD and rightfully so. And then our team is way better also. I hope this happens A LOT. Right now we are just guessing and thinking along the lines of “assuming the same improvement bubble TJD and Say smith from now till the start of official practices, most would think TJD will take the starting spot.

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If you're not going to start JS you better Crean him.  He'll do much more harm than good coming off the bench.  I can only imagine his daddy on Twitter if that happens.

To play devils advocate, Archie’s use of the bench propelled him to his best basketball of the season. He admitted it helped create a change in mindset. 

Now why the benching didn’t occur sooner, I’ve got nothing. 🤷‍♂️

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think people are too hard on Smith. His dad said things that shouldn't be said publicly, but I don't blame Justin for that. Justin was definitely pissed when Romeo took bad shots - I have no problem with that: I was too. Other than that I didn't see Smith causing problems (obviously, I wasn't in the locker room, so what do I know). What I saw was a guy that was never put in a place to succeed (having the ball on the perimeter is not his strong suit) doing the best he could. Hopefully next year's team will be able to utilize him better. Even if we get LQ and TW I think there are 20 minutes a game off the bench for Smith. Hopefully he is happy with that and works to earn them.

Assuming TJD comes in and starts is premature. He is a really good player. But big man freshman dont typically come in and take over right away.

My guess is he start the season coming off the bench and playing about 20 mins.

Then gradually moved up from.there based on performance.

Physically, he is not going to be at the level of Smith, Davis or Brunk, and even Race At his position, at this level, that matters.

It is typically easier for guards to adapt to the college game than it is for the big guys.

We shall see. The good news is, we seem to be really deep upfront.

1 hour ago, HoosierDom said:

I think people are too hard on Smith. His dad said things that shouldn't be said publicly, but I don't blame Justin for that. Justin was definitely pissed when Romeo took bad shots - I have no problem with that: I was too. Other than that I didn't see Smith causing problems (obviously, I wasn't in the locker room, so what do I know). What I saw was a guy that was never put in a place to succeed (having the ball on the perimeter is not his strong suit) doing the best he could. Hopefully next year's team will be able to utilize him better. Even if we get LQ and TW I think there are 20 minutes a game off the bench for Smith. Hopefully he is happy with that and works to earn them.

6th man is exactly what I think is best.

I think some of you are delusional if you don't think Trayce is starting.  He's a burger boy and a 5 star recruit.  He didn't come here to come off the bench.  He's also inheriting an NIT team that just lost it's 2 best players.  We probably don't win 10 games this season without Romeo and Morgan.  It's not like he's coming to the 1993 Hoosiers who were returning nearly everyone off a FF run.

Archived