Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

50 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So...

It’s been acknowledged that recruits, players, and their families read these boards.

CAM has gotten IU positioned as a finalist for a great kid, and great player, when several months ago we were completely out of the picture.

Not only is the kid a high level basketball talent, but he comes from a family who, by all reports, loved and loves IU, even though the guy who coached older son was fired. Loves the university so much that they remain connected to the community still, from hundreds of miles away.

Yet, we’ve got someone on here that for some reason thinks that, just maybe, the kid and his family are looking for a payoff, for among other reasons, because older brother didn’t cash in big time in pro ball.

If the Watford family does read this board, I want to apologize for the insinuations made here.

Sometimes I wonder how much thought goes into how things come across before posters hit the submit button 

Great Post and many posters here definitely support your take! Watfords seem like great people!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, BDB said:

If you are CONFIDENT that IU will make the dance next year, you have some crimson colored glasses that are very thick.

100% confident. No crimson glasses. We are starting to get older. Which is huge. For reference we started 4 freshmen and sophomores. Hunter will play, confident in that. We should only be starting 1 true freshman next year.

PG - Phinisee

SG - Green/Durham 

SF - Hunter/Franklin  

PF - TJD/Smith

C - Davis/Brunk 

that roster is plenty good enough to get over 20 wins. 

Schedule in conference sets up very nicely as well. 

2 minutes ago, Feathery said:

100% confident. No crimson glasses. We are starting to get older. Which is huge. For reference we started 4 freshmen and sophomores. Hunter will play, confident in that. We should only be starting 1 true freshman next year.

PG - Phinisee

SG - Green/Durham 

SF - Hunter/Franklin  

PF - TJD/Smith

C - Davis/Brunk 

You are forgetting thompson. He will play if healthy.

57 minutes ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee

SG - Green/Durham 

SF - Hunter/Franklin  

PF - TJD/Smith

C - Davis/Brunk 

I'm very confident as well...maybe not 100%, but I very much expect IU to start dancing next season and see them regularly participate going forward.  Another year in Archie's system is just huge for these young men.  Since defense was emphasized first, I expect to see a nice step forward offensively and a smaller incremental step forward for the defense since defense is ahead of offense at this stage.

2 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

So...

It’s been acknowledged that recruits, players, and their families read these boards.

CAM has gotten IU positioned as a finalist for a great kid, and great player, when several months ago we were completely out of the picture.

Not only is the kid a high level basketball talent, but he comes from a family who, by all reports, loved and loves IU, even though the guy who coached older son was fired. Loves the university so much that they remain connected to the community still, from hundreds of miles away.

Yet, we’ve got someone on here that for some reason thinks that, just maybe, the kid and his family are looking for a payoff, for among other reasons, because older brother didn’t cash in big time in pro ball.

If the Watford family does read this board, I want to apologize for the insinuations made here.

Sometimes I wonder how much thought goes into how things come across before posters hit the submit button 

No question us fans need to dial back any insinuation that the Watfords would participate in anything dirty.  They've shown the kind of character to deserve the benefit of the doubt in that regard.  At the same time, I hope they ARE reading a post questioning the wisdom of climbing into bed with an ethically-challenged coach like Will Wade.  Not only are you risking playing under NCAA sanctions, your son is under the guidance of a man who thinks rules are made to be broken and the end justifies the means even if the means are cheating.  Is that the kind of man you want your son taking instruction from?

This is a situation well beyond "smoke".  There's no question in any fair-minded observer that Will Wade is a cheater and that LSU's administration is weak in addressing the smoking gun here.  Wherever cheating comes up, Will Wade's name keeps resurfacing.  For Trendon's benefit, I would pick just about any school before LSU.  Even Kentucky is getting less press about cheating right now.  Considering Calipari's record at previous schools, it's saying something that Will Wade is seen more negatively by many that follow college basketball today.

Just thinking about this cheating clown, I feel like I need a shower.

7 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

No question us fans need to dial back any insinuation that the Watfords would participate in anything dirty.  They've shown the kind of character to deserve the benefit of the doubt in that regard.  At the same time, I hope they ARE reading a post questioning the wisdom of climbing into bed with an ethically-challenged coach like Will Wade.  Not only are you risking playing under NCAA sanctions, your son is under the guidance of a man who thinks rules are made to be broken and the end justifies the means even if the means are cheating.  Is that the kind of man you want your son taking instruction from?

This is a situation well beyond "smoke".  There's no question in any fair-minded observer that Will Wade is a cheater and that LSU's administration is weak in addressing the smoking gun here.  Wherever cheating comes up, Will Wade's name keeps resurfacing.  For Trendon's benefit, I would pick just about any school before LSU.  Even Kentucky is getting less press about cheating right now.  Considering Calipari's record at previous schools, it's saying something that Will Wade is seen more negatively by many that follow college basketball today.

Just thinking about this cheating clown, I feel like I need a shower.

I agree that LSU and Wade are dirty and should be avoided at all costs. I disagree with the character assassination of a family who has shown nothing but class and dignity in the way they have acted both with Christian and Trendon.

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I agree that LSU and Wade are dirty and should be avoided at all costs. I disagree with the character assassination of a family who has shown nothing but class and dignity in the way they have acted both with Christian and Trendon.

I don’t disagree with you, but at the same time you kind of put yourself in the position to be scrutinized and questioned when you align yourself with a guy like Will Wade. 

11 hours ago, Feathery said:

PG - Phinisee

SG - Green/Durham 

SF - Hunter/Franklin  

PF - TJD/Smith

C - Davis/Brunk 

i am no longer confident about this team.  I thought we had the talent this year to win 20 games.  And Green and Smith didn't do anything most of the year, despite playing alot of minutes each.  They did end pretty well and Green was responsible for alot of our late season wins.  But where was he all year?  Where was Smith all year?.  Maybe we stay healthy and maybe this team plays to its potential.  I am no longer bullish on IU basketball like i used to be.  I am now taking a wait and see stance and honestly won't be surprised if we have the exact same record and type of seas we did this year.

46 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I don’t disagree with you, but at the same time you kind of put yourself in the position to be scrutinized and questioned when you align yourself with a guy like Will Wade. 

This all day. Nothing personal to the Watford's at all. They are and always will be IU legacy and royalty. With that said it is possible to discuss if you send your kid to a coach like Wade right now....that the public will say what in the world? I mean the head coach is on record and phone calls discussing offers to kids who aren't ranked as high as Trendon. Sorry. The scrutiny is part of the elite prospect world already. You go to a school like LSU and their current environment it's only heightened. 

14 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

This all day. Nothing personal to the Watford's at all. They are and always will be IU legacy and royalty. With that said it is possible to discuss if you send your kid to a coach like Wade right now....that the public will say what in the world? I mean the head coach is on record and phone calls discussing offers to kids who aren't ranked as high as Trendon. Sorry. The scrutiny is part of the elite prospect world already. You go to a school like LSU and their current environment it's only heightened. 

Social media and fake news all over. Inferring guilt by association.

Nothing has come out to even offer an iota of evidence that the Watford's are dirty. Yet an anonymous poster on a message board makes a bunch of unsubstantiated claims, and I guess he's justified? 

Sorry, not the world I want to live in.

46 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Yet

This has been a really interesting and somewhat bizarre recruitment.

It's still possible that Trendon ends up committing to IU, despite that that looked next to impossible as recently as a few months ago. Insert the "recruiting-is-fluid" mantra. Trendon's got serious game, and of course the Watford / family history makes this a cool story. Continuing to follow his recruitment with real interest.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

This has been a really interesting and somewhat bizarre recruitment.

It's still possible that Trendon ends up committing to IU, despite that that looked next to impossible as recently as a few months ago. Insert the "recruiting-is-fluid" mantra. Trendon's got serious game, and of course the Watford / family history makes this a cool story. Continuing to follow his recruitment with real interest.

And just to clarify, "yet" doesn't mean "will" either. Just going by the Rabby podcast, Trendon has the AAU event out west, followed by finals. Earliest break in his schedule is around the 4th. Doesn't mean he's going to visit, but the delay is for legit reasons.

This is a very weird recruitment. Seems to just keep fluctuating and then you had Duke sniff around and back off and just has been weird. Hope that Trendon can just find a place he loves and enjoy his time there. If that’s IU then sign him up and let’s go win some games!

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

I don't care if it's Mother Theresa - if you go to play for Will Wade you get his stink all over you. And if you go now with so much information out there, you deserve it. 

I still think its between Bama and IU.   I think the Watford's know better than to go to LSU.  Memphis is the sexy place to be but Trendon won't be the star on that team.   So that leaves the 2 safe schools.   Location may be the only thing that prevents us from him coming.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

3 minutes ago, Indy1987 said:

I still think its between Bama and IU.   I think the Watford's know better than to go to LSU.  Memphis is the sexy place to be but Trendon won't be the star on that team.   So that leaves the 2 safe schools.   Location may be the only thing that prevents us from him coming.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

And honestly, if that's the reason we lose him (to the home state school), good luck Trendon and a tip of the cap to Nate Oats. I won't like it personally, but I can respect the decision and know that in all likelihood, we simply lost a fair battle.

3 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

And honestly, if that's the reason we lose him (to the home state school), good luck Trendon and a tip of the cap to Nate Oats. I won't like it personally, but I can respect the decision and know that in all likelihood, we simply lost a fair battle.

Yep I wouldn't fault a kid for wanting to stay close to home and represent his state school. 

And if he does go there I hope he gets a chance to hit Watshot Pt2 against UK.  

I still hope he gives IU one last look.  

Go Hoosiers!!!

4 hours ago, BGleas said:

What about when you align yourself with John Calipari, or Sean Miller?  Do the same rules apply?

18 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

What about when you align yourself with John Calipari, or Sean Miller?  Do the same rules apply?

Yup. Though that's not me saying Archie is dirty, that's me saying if another fan base wanted to call him out, I'd understand it. He did coach at Arizona. 

47 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Yup. Though that's not me saying Archie is dirty, that's me saying if another fan base wanted to call him out, I'd understand it. He did coach at Arizona. 

I’m sure Archie is shocked, just SHOCKED, about Sean’s recruiting tactics, lol

Archived