Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

2 former NBA stars and Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach sitting in your living room telling a kid we can get you to the NBA. Whats not to like. It will take a couple of years for them to figure out he cant coach.

This šŸ‘†šŸ». Right now its ā€œcoolā€ to attend Memphis due to 2 former NBA stars so lots of kids think they will prepare them the best for the next step. Thatā€™s to be determined whether they can prepare the kids to the best of their ability for the next level.Ā 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

This šŸ‘†šŸ». Right now its ā€œcoolā€ to attend Memphis due to 2 former NBA stars so lots of kids think they will prepare them the best for the next step. Thatā€™s to be determined whether they can prepare the kids to the best of their ability for the next level.Ā 

Unfortunately those same things are left to be determined at IU

16 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

While true, we donā€™t have two NBA all star coaches at IU so IU canā€™t sell to players that you are being coached and taught by former NBA all stars

Yes I agree completely! We lost out on 2 recruits going head to head with them beforeĀ 

3 hours ago, Indykev said:

2 former NBA stars and Sam Mitchell, former NBA coach sitting in your living room telling a kid we can get you to the NBA. Whats not to like. It will take a couple of years for them to figure out he cant coach.

And I can point to Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullins, Danny Manning, Avery Johnson, Mark Price, Reggie Theus, and others who not only failed or are failing at collegiate level but probably put what? 1-2 guys in the league max? No clue on my last statement. I don't recall any of these guys doing a thing. Point is this. Put me in a room with a kids family who says Penny and his staff can get me to the pros and it would take about 5 seconds to eviscerate that narrative.Ā 

17 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And I can point to Patrick Ewing, Chris Mullins, Danny Manning, Avery Johnson, Mark Price, Reggie Theus, and others who not only failed or are failing at collegiate level but probably put what? 1-2 guys in the league max? No clue on my last statement. I don't recall any of these guys doing a thing. Point is this. Put me in a room with a kids family who says Penny and his staff can get me to the pros and it would take about 5 seconds to eviscerate that narrative.Ā 

Close. Quick count, 3 NBA and 3 drafted G League players out of that group. Most significant: Collin Sexton (Johnson).

Only one I'd remove from that group is Ewing. He's only 2 years in and while he hasn't set the world on fire, hasn't been terrible so far. Jury is still out.

What's curious is that none of those coaches were able to put together a recruiting class anywhere close to what Penny has done at Memphis. #notsayin-butjustsayin

56 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Close. Quick count, 3 NBA and 3 drafted G League players out of that group. Most significant: Collin Sexton (Johnson).

Only one I'd remove from that group is Ewing. He's only 2 years in and while he hasn't set the world on fire, hasn't been terrible so far. Jury is still out.

What's curious is that none of those coaches were able to put together a recruiting class anywhere close to what Penny has done at Memphis. #notsayin-butjustsayin

Thanks for the clarification on the 3. I was just typing and going off memory. 6 plus NBA great players...not good but great ones with limited to no success. Our only problem is Archie hasn't had enough time to point to the success but given his E8 team at Dayton....that alone tells me he could coach circles around the guys I mentioned.Ā 

2 hours ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

While true, we donā€™t have two NBA all star coaches at IU so IU canā€™t sell to players that you are being coached and taught by former NBA all stars

We used to have an NBA guy on the staff who was also an IU alum.Ā A key staff member that did more behind the scenes than anyone will ever hear about. A guy that mostĀ players respected more than they did theĀ head coach.

7 minutes ago, Inequality said:

We used to have an NBA guy on the staff who was also an IU alum.Ā A key staff member that did more behind the scenes than anyone will ever hear about. A guy that mostĀ players respected more than they did theĀ head coach.

Is he also a high volume scorer from the early 90ā€™s? šŸ¤Ŗ

10 minutes ago, Coach Robby said:

Is he also a high volume scorer from the early 90ā€™s? šŸ¤Ŗ

Ha! Your good! Your reeeal good!Ā :D

But yeah, though his presence was subtle, his departure from what I know, would later prove to be the beginning of the end for the guy that ran him off.

I will save more for another thread down the road. While relevant to the current swing of this thread, I also feel like Iā€™m contributing to the derailment which ironically, annoys me. Please excuse me while I put myself in timeout for 15 minutes.

Ā 

29 minutes ago, Inequality said:

Ha! Your good! Your reeeal good!Ā :D

But yeah, though his presence was subtle, his departure from what I know, would later prove to be the beginning of the end for the guy that ran him off.

I will save more for another thread down the road. While relevant to the current swing of this thread, I also feel like Iā€™m contributing to the derailment which ironically, annoys me. Please excuse me while I put myself in timeout for 15 minutes.

Ā 

Let's bring him back!!!!

19 hours ago, 68Hoosier said:

Let's bring him back!!!!

Problem is, there's another well respected former IU player that's in his former position currently, and by all accounts, is doing a fine job.

Have to either wait for an assistant to depart or create some other position.

3 hours ago, Zlinedavid said:

Problem is, there's another well respected former IU player that's in his former position currently, and by all accounts, is doing a fine job.

Have to either wait for an assistant to depart or create some other position.

Well we are IU and we donā€™t want basketball to become too big so we surely wouldnā€™t want to create a position for a great former alum whoā€™s over qualified for most positions weā€™d create. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

7 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

Well we are IU and we donā€™t want basketball to become too big so we surely wouldnā€™t want to create a position for a great former alum whoā€™s over qualified for most positions weā€™d create. šŸ¤¦šŸ»ā€ā™‚ļø

I get the dig at the administration, but here's the bottom line:

"Bring him back!"

"OK, which assistant do you want to fire?"

He's been a staffer, he's been a mid-major D1 assistant, and is now a G League assistant. Would he make the move to major D1 assistant? Possibly. Would he come back to IU for what would be a demotion in rank? Would you?

And if he's not an actual assistant, he's not going to be able to be in those recruits' living rooms to say how he knows the NBA and how to get them there. (Which is what prompted this chain of thought). And it's more meaningful to have a guy there saying it vs the head coach saying "We have a guy on staff that...".

So the next time there's an assistants job opening, yep, he'd be a great candidate.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

I get the dig at the administration, but here's the bottom line:

"Bring him back!"

"OK, which assistant do you want to fire?"

He's been a staffer, he's been a mid-major D1 assistant, and is now a G League assistant. Would he make the move to major D1 assistant? Possibly. Would he come back to IU for what would be a demotion in rank? Would you?

And if he's not an actual assistant, he's not going to be able to be in those recruits' living rooms to say how he knows the NBA and how to get them there. (Which is what prompted this chain of thought). And it's more meaningful to have a guy there saying it vs the head coach saying "We have a guy on staff that...".

So the next time there's an assistants job opening, yep, he'd be a great candidate.

My dig isnā€™t at all that anyone should be forced out and heck idc if heā€™s the best man for the job if Archie doesnā€™t want him donā€™t bring him on. Iā€™m just saying it appears the higher ups (above AD even) sure havenā€™t earned the rep of being on board with doing everything we can to compete at the highest level in college basketball while staying in the rules. I realize most of my feeling about that is constant people connected saying thatā€™s the case. But the president has yet to call me and tell me thatā€™s his view of menā€™s basketball. šŸ¤Ŗ

Archived