Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

100 page thread on a kid who was never considering us. Speaks volumes about IU basketball. 

Comments like this make up about 10 pages on this thread, maybe more. He considered, just wanted something different than his brother.  IU basketball is in good hands.  There won't be the drama of having a "savior" on our team this year, so it will be a team.  This team came together at the end of the year and will have a hungry offseason.  Do you think CAM is satisfied with an NIT?  He feels the pressure from within and pays no attention to all the haters who are trying to put him on the hot seat.  He wants to win for himself, his staff, and his players.  

26 minutes ago, Hoosier98 said:

Comments like this make up about 10 pages on this thread, maybe more. He considered, just wanted something different than his brother.  IU basketball is in good hands.  There won't be the drama of having a "savior" on our team this year, so it will be a team.  This team came together at the end of the year and will have a hungry offseason.  Do you think CAM is satisfied with an NIT?  He feels the pressure from within and pays no attention to all the haters who are trying to put him on the hot seat.  He wants to win for himself, his staff, and his players.  

Thanks for the lesson. Anyone who knows me or my posting history on several IU boards dating to the mid 90's knows I'm as positive as they come. The last year or two has just worn me out. Romeo was never our savior. He was a high profile recruit that backfired because our current coach wasn't allowed to bounce some of the people he wanted when he first took over.

My point remains we continue to get in our own way....admin, university,etc...and spend valuable recruiting time on kids who presumably had no desire to play here. Trendon, KB Jr and the list can go to Gary Harris, Kris Wilkes, younger Zeller's, Oden, Conley, McRoberts,etc....

In terms of your last two sentences. If the job is what we think it is (see 100 page thread on a kid who wasn't considering us)....the seat is always hot. No one is putting him on there. In fact because of our administrations ineptness the last 20 years is the primary reason the seat is as hot as it is. Regarding last sentence. That sounds Kentuckyesque. 

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Thanks for the lesson. Anyone who knows me or my posting history on several IU boards dating to the mid 90's knows I'm as positive as they come. The last year or two has just worn me out. Romeo was never our savior. He was a high profile recruit that backfired because our current coach wasn't allowed to bounce some of the people he wanted when he first took over.

My point remains we continue to get in our own way....admin, university,etc...and spend valuable recruiting time on kids who presumably had no desire to play here. Trendon, KB Jr and the list can go to Gary Harris, Kris Wilkes, younger Zeller's, Oden, Conley, McRoberts,etc....

In terms of your last two sentences. If the job is what we think it is (see 100 page thread on a kid who wasn't considering us)....the seat is always hot. No one is putting him on there. In fact because of our administrations ineptness the last 20 years is the primary reason the seat is as hot as it is. Regarding last sentence. That sounds Kentuckyesque. 

To me if a coach is on a hot seat after two years then the problem lies with the fans and not the program.  If the fan base loses faith that fast then more than likely they will keep being disappointed because nothing will satisfy them.  Maybe we need to have our fans actually back the program with positive actions instead of jumping off the bridge at the first sign of trouble.  Not saying this about this board but just our fans in general seems to jump off the bridge way to quick and that does not help one bit.

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if a coach is on a hot seat after two years then the problem lies with the fans and not the program.  If the fan base loses faith that fast then more than likely they will keep being disappointed because nothing will satisfy them.  Maybe we need to have our fans actually back the program with positive actions instead of jumping off the bridge at the first sign of trouble.  Not saying this about this board but just our fans in general seems to jump off the bridge way to quick and that does not help one bit.

I don’t hear Archie is on the hot seat from the fans and supporters I talk to in real life it’s just mostly the people on message boards

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Just to clarify. He isn't nor should he be. I'm saying there is a segment of our fan base (which by the way has been the very best in all of college hoops for the what we've had to endure the last 20 years) that is growing more and more tired of the excuses. At this point I'm not even talking Final 4's. Miss the NCAA tourney 7 of last what 11 years? I'd like to start being an annual participant again. 

Regarding first sign of trouble. That was giving Mike Davis an extension. Many, many fans who understand leadership knew at that time it was the wrong call. Followed by another wrong call (Sampson). Followed by another wrong call (blowing up our program for a parking ticket). Followed by another wrong call (extending Crean)....the list goes on. None of my comments are directed at Archie. He'll get the time he deserves....but as I said in April and March. If he misses tourney again next year. I have to start adjusting what I think. Plenty disagree but to me it doesn't take 3 years to make a tourney. 

20 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Regarding last sentence. That sounds Kentuckyesque. 

I thought Calipari said he didn't care about winning as much as his kids getting drafted high?  Not sure why winning for your yourself, coaching staff, and players instead of listening to all the garbage going on outside of the team is kentuckyesque.  I would say that is what being a team is all about.  If you ask any coach they will tell you that.  Those coaches don't care about me or any other poster, unless it affects their players.    

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Followed by another wrong call (blowing up our program for a parking ticket).

Listening to Rabjohns on the Peegs podcast, he was adamant that Sampson was not fired over the phone calls.  The administration realized that Sampson had lost control and had to go. The phone call thing was just a convenient excuse.

1 minute ago, FKIM01 said:

Listening to Rabjohns on the Peegs podcast, he was adamant that Sampson was not fired over the phone calls.  The administration realized that Sampson had lost control and had to go. The phone call thing was just a convenient excuse.

I was way more concerned with the type of players he brought in and the behavior he allowed over phone calls

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Just to clarify. He isn't nor should he be. I'm saying there is a segment of our fan base (which by the way has been the very best in all of college hoops for the what we've had to endure the last 20 years) that is growing more and more tired of the excuses. At this point I'm not even talking Final 4's. Miss the NCAA tourney 7 of last what 11 years? I'd like to start being an annual participant again. 

Regarding first sign of trouble. That was giving Mike Davis an extension. Many, many fans who understand leadership knew at that time it was the wrong call. Followed by another wrong call (Sampson). Followed by another wrong call (blowing up our program for a parking ticket). Followed by another wrong call (extending Crean)....the list goes on. None of my comments are directed at Archie. He'll get the time he deserves....but as I said in April and March. If he misses tourney again next year. I have to start adjusting what I think. Plenty disagree but to me it doesn't take 3 years to make a tourney. 

This isn't really directed at you, more just using your post as a jumping off point for a related thought. 

IMO, a couple things our fans need to do, and it's not easy to do, I struggle with it at times as well, but Archie isn't Mike Davis, he isn't Kelvin Sampson or Tom Crean either, and he's not Myles Brand or Adam Herbet. We need to fight the urge to hold Archie responsible for the mistakes of the people before him. I know the numbers aren't great for IU basketball the last 20ish years, but those aren't Archie's numbers. I think he's cleaning up a bigger mess than we realize and we need to have some patience, which I know is really hard. I was screaming at the TV during the OSU game, I get it. But Archie needs time to fix some things and build the roster in his mold. 

Another thing I think that needs some focus, and I think as fans we're really just beginning to grasp how bad it is, is that the IU administration has been a disaster for much of the last 20 years. I firmly believe Archie can coach and recruit at this level, at minimum enough to have IU as a regular NCAA Tournament team to varying degrees and at most as a regular national contender. But, I'm starting to wonder if the IU administration is so inept that the job is just toxic? 

If just some of the things we've heard over the last few months (poor faciliites, compliance department out to get the coach not help him, low-balling other aspects of the program, not allowing Archie to 'Crean' some guys, etc.) are accurate then I'm not sure anyone can win consistently at IU anymore. 

Not sure what my point is, but just some things to ponder. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This isn't really directed at you, more just using your post as a jumping off point for a related thought. 

IMO, a couple things our fans need to do, and it's not easy to do, I struggle with it at times as well, but Archie isn't Mike Davis, he isn't Kelvin Sampson or Tom Crean either, and he's not Myles Brand or Adam Herbet. We need to fight the urge to hold Archie responsible for the mistakes of the people before him. I know the numbers aren't great for IU basketball the last 20ish years, but those aren't Archie's numbers. I think he's cleaning up a bigger mess than we realize and we need to have some patience, which I know is really hard. I was screaming at the TV during the OSU game, I get it. But Archie needs time to fix some things and build the roster in his mold. 

Another thing I think that needs some focus, and I think as fans we're really just beginning to grasp how bad it is, is that the IU administration has been a disaster for much of the last 20 years. I firmly believe Archie can coach and recruit at this level, at minimum enough to have IU as a regular NCAA Tournament team to varying degrees and at most as a regular national contender. But, I'm starting to wonder if the IU administration is so inept that the job is just toxic? 

If just some of the things we've heard over the last few months (poor faciliites, compliance department out to get the coach not help him, low-balling other aspects of the program, not allowing Archie to 'Crean' some guys, etc.) are accurate then I'm not sure anyone can win consistently at IU anymore. 

Out of curiosity, which OSU game where you referencing?  The home game against them (probably the game I was most frustrated) or the BTT game where we rolled over like dogs for 35+ minutes?

35 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Listened to the Rabjohns podcast and I agree with much of what you say. In terms of holding people accountable, sounds like Mcrobbie and other academics at the very top are the ones to point fingers at for handicapping IUBB (Myles Brand before that with bringing on Sampson). However, my real question is can there really anything that can be done to fix those issues? Donors stop donating? Not sure I've got the right answers, but in my eyes that where the most pressure should be directed at. Focusing any "boos" away from Archie and towards the academic bureaucracy that wants IUBB to take a back seat for whatever reason. 

Maybe I should have given Mcrobbie my two cents when I shook his hand at graduation day. Here's a hint for the big wigs...the more IUBB wins > the more prospective students will apply for IU > the more prestigious our academic community becomes since we can be more picky with who gets admitted to the university. 

3 hours ago, BGleas said:

Essentially it's what I already said. Archie is being held to a different standard because of the ineptness of IU administration. Fair or unfair. I'm tired of being asked for more time. 3 years didn't seem like much time for Chris Beard. 3 years should be enough for Indiana University to get in the damn tourney. 

2 hours ago, ArchieBall13 said:

Listened to the Rabjohns podcast and I agree with much of what you say. In terms of holding people accountable, sounds like Mcrobbie and other academics at the very top are the ones to point fingers at for handicapping IUBB (Myles Brand before that with bringing on Sampson). However, my real question is can there really anything that can be done to fix those issues? Donors stop donating? Not sure I've got the right answers, but in my eyes that where the most pressure should be directed at. Focusing any "boos" away from Archie and towards the academic bureaucracy that wants IUBB to take a back seat for whatever reason. 

Maybe I should have given Mcrobbie my two cents when I shook his hand at graduation day. Here's a hint for the big wigs...the more IUBB wins > the more prospective students will apply for IU > the more prestigious our academic community becomes since we can be more picky with who gets admitted to the university. 

Regarding your last paragraph. Here's an example of what success on the court or football field does. One of my friends is a diehard Illini fan and grad. Engineering guy. Illinois is losing Engineering students by the masses....not to Purdue or other nationally known programs....they are losing engineering students from up north to Alabama and other SEC type schools who are offering full ride scholarships to those kids because they have the $ to do so because of football success, donations,etc..

I just wish IU had the leadership and understanding that academia isn't the answer. Sports have been and always will be the biggest money maker at a P5 university. Just wish we had the leadership to realize a harmonious relationship between the two can happen. Look at what Mitch Daniels has done in his short time at Purdue. Their athletic department has never been stronger. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Essentially it's what I already said. Archie is being held to a different standard because of the ineptness of IU administration. Fair or unfair. I'm tired of being asked for more time. 3 years didn't seem like much time for Chris Beard. 3 years should be enough for Indiana University to get in the damn tourney. 

Nothing against you but who cares if you are tired about needing more time.  this is a new coach and should be given that time no matter what happened before he got there.  It is like blaming your wife for all the problems you had with your ex girl friends which is not fair either.

55 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Nothing against you but who cares if you are tired about needing more time.  this is a new coach and should be given that time no matter what happened before he got there.  It is like blaming your wife for all the problems you had with your ex girl friends which is not fair either.

Every fan gets to feel and act a certain way. I'm telling you this is how I feel. Do I have your permission? I'm tired of being asked as a fan for the 4th time in 15 years to be patient. Say what you want about Bama or even Kentucky. Bama had multiple bad football coaches and look what they did. Absolute commitment. Kentucky saw after a couple years Gillespie was toast and they went and got the best available. 

Even with that said I'll be cheering Archie and the Hoosiers on every day, every game with blind loyalty. However I will say this again because that's the way I feel. If we miss tourney again next year I'll have my doubts. With the resources, in state talent, fans....it shouldn't be this hard to at least make the tourney by year 3. Only a contrarian for the sake of arguing the other side would say anything different. 

Archived