Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
16 minutes ago, rico said:

Look it up.......life doesn't begin in the NBA.

Hardaway had to sit out the 1990–91 season due to being academically ineligible. While he was sitting out, Hardaway was robbed at gunpoint outside his cousin’s house and was shot in his foot by a stray bullet, putting his career in jeopardy.[3] After he was inspired to do better in life and to accomplish more, he made the Dean's List with a 3.4 grade point average as an education major.[4]

Is this one of those ‘a dirt poor black kid did a shady thing in basketball and broke the rules’ or do you want to clarify because I always got the vibe he was a good person.

8 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Hardaway had to sit out the 1990–91 season due to being academically ineligible. While he was sitting out, Hardaway was robbed at gunpoint outside his cousin’s house and was shot in his foot by a stray bullet, putting his career in jeopardy.[3] After he was inspired to do better in life and to accomplish more, he made the Dean's List with a 3.4 grade point average as an education major.[4]

Is this one of those ‘a dirt poor black kid did a shady thing in basketball and broke the rules’ or do you want to clarify because I always got the vibe he was a good person.

Not at all, but I remember Penny at Memphis.  Aside from his academic issues and being around bad areas, I deem his collegiate career underwhelming from the team stand point.

7 hours ago, rico said:

Not at all, but I remember Penny at Memphis.  Aside from his academic issues and being around bad areas, I deem his collegiate career underwhelming from the team stand point.

How many years ago was that?  People grow and change and become better than they were.  I haven't found or read anything about Penny in a bad light since then.  At what point do we stop condemning people for things they did as a teenager?  From a professional and coaching aspect, he has done nothing but succeed.  This is his first shot at big time basketball and may or may not fail, but its hard to put a guy down just yet

8 hours ago, rico said:

Umm... Dude came back to school and GRADUATED after his career was over, maintained a 3.4 GPA, led his team to an ELITE 8, 2-time conference POY in his only two seasons, consensus 1st team All-American, AND top-5 nba draft pick. Not at all what I would call an underwhelming collegiate career - team or otherwise.

Yet you want to knock him down a peg for "being around bad areas" like the one he was literally born and raised in and where his family lived at the time. 

I'm hoping you have a couple of ivy league degrees or something to stand on and look down on folks because otherwise you are full of it my friend.

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

How many years ago was that?  People grow and change and become better than they were.  I haven't found or read anything about Penny in a bad light since then.  At what point do we stop condemning people for things they did as a teenager?  From a professional and coaching aspect, he has done nothing but succeed.  This is his first shot at big time basketball and may or may not fail, but its hard to put a guy down just yet

I never put him down......I am half Tennessean so I followed him closely.  And it was in the early 90's.  All I am saying is that I wasn't a fan of his.  That is up to me to decide for myself.  He made good through his career.  I would just prefer that Little Wat goes to 'Bama.  And fwiw Avery Johnson(HC at 'Bama) has one fine resume.  

1 minute ago, DropINLurker said:

Umm... Dude came back to school and GRADUATED after his career was over, maintained a 3.4 GPA, led his team to an ELITE 8, 2-time conference POY in his only two seasons, consensus 1st team All-American, AND top-5 nba draft pick. Not at all what I would call an underwhelming collegiate career - team or otherwise.

Yet you want to knock him down a peg for "being around bad areas" like the one he was literally born and raised in and where his family lived at the time. 

I'm hoping you have a couple of ivy league degrees or something to stand on because otherwise you are full of it my friend.

What did he do the following season after the EE?  Not a Penny fan.  My right.  

12 minutes ago, rico said:

What did he do the following season after the EE?  Not a Penny fan.  My right.  

He led his team to another NCAA tourney (where they lost by 3 to a sweet 16 team), won another conference POY, finished the year with 3 wins against top 25 teams.. 

Like what's your point here - a player can't have a great college career unless they literally won an NCAA title? Say you are not a fan, don't poo poo his collegiate career. That's nonsensical - his collegiate career was objectively very good

3 minutes ago, DropINLurker said:

He led his team to another NCAA tourney (where they lost by 3 to a sweet 16 team), won another conference POY, finished the year with 3 wins against top 25 teams.. 

Like what's your point here - a player can't have a great college career unless they literally won an NCAA title? Say you are not a fan, don't poo poo his collegiate career. That's nonsensical

Hmmmm.......okay.  First round to Western Kentucky.  Memphis started that year ranked #8, a couple weeks later they fell out of the polls never to return.  So what is your point?  What was Penny in the NBA?  A commercial icon?  Shaq made the Magic.  I will say it again......I wasn't a Penny fan when he was playing.........now we shall see what he can do as a coach.  

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Avery Johnson is a bang average coach at best. He’s fallen off and failed at every stop. 

He had a near 70 win team and lost in the first round.

Better look at his winning percentage......IIRC he was near 60%.  I also think he took a team to the finals but I could be wrong.  One thing I do know is that he won a title as a player.

1 minute ago, rico said:

Hmmmm.......okay.  First round to Western Kentucky.  Memphis started that year ranked #8, a couple weeks later they fell out of the polls never to return.  So what is your point?  What was Penny in the NBA?  A commercial icon?  Shaq made the Magic.  I will say it again......I wasn't a Penny fan when he was playing.........now we shall see what he can do as a coach.  

He averaged 16/7/5 as a 6’7 rookie pg. He was amazing and caught a few injuries. That’s fine that you don’t like him but you’re talking nonsense. By all accounts he’s a good coach and a good dude.

4 minutes ago, rico said:

Better look at his winning percentage......IIRC he was near 60%.  I also think he took a team to the finals but I could be wrong.  One thing I do know is that he won a title as a player.

Yes, he inherited that stacked Dallas squad and did nothing with it. He made one finals and under performed every post season. He failed miserably with Brooklyn and his Alabama record is poor.

Collin Sexton has given him a few years but he’s a joke imo . 

2 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

He averaged 16/7/5 as a 6’7 rookie pg. He was amazing and caught a few injuries. That’s fine that you don’t like him but you’re talking nonsense. By all accounts he’s a good coach and a good dude.

Good dude part I can't argue.........we shall see on coaching, this ain't AAU.

7 minutes ago, rico said:

My point is that based on the facts he had an undeniably very good 2-year college career.. and the same can be said about his NBA career. He was widely considered the best player at his position in the best league in the world at his peak. You just have a very weird axe to grind against the guy for some unknown reason but carry on.

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Yes, he inherited that stacked Dallas squad and did nothing with it. He made one finals and under performed every post season. He failed miserably with Brooklyn and his Alabama record is poor.

So evidently I am right about some things.

Just now, DropINLurker said:

My point is that based on the facts he had an undeniably very good 2-year college career.. and the same can be said about his NBA career. He was widely considered the best player at his position in the best league in the world at his peak. You just have a very weird axe to grind against the guy for some unknown reason but carry on.

No axe.......just call them the way I see them.  TBH, I met Penny once......nice guy.

1 minute ago, ADegenerate said:

Very true. You’re entitled to your opinions and neither one of us is ‘right’ here so I think it’s best if we just drop it and end this silly convo on a good note yeah?

That is all I was trying to say.  And agreed.

Archived