Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
20 minutes ago, DC2345 said:

It is a bit confusing because the IU basketball twitter account liked multiple tweets from TW yesterday. You don’t see that much when a school isn’t recruiting a kid. 

Noticed that as well. Wish Marni was back on staff. She was the 100% stone cold lock on twitter depending on who she followed.

I suppose we shouldn't shut the door completely.. with the way the current team is performing/acting, there might be more spots to fill on the roster next year than we think. lol

Even with Brooks/Hunter i wouldn't turn away TW, not that anyone is saying that.

plus we couldn't model his nick-name after his brother's ..T-WAT would not work. 

3 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

Just a few things to add here:

When Indiana's coaching staff first arrived, one of the most pressing issues was to increase the talent level. The coaches didn't think the current crop of players was good enough and they wanted to bring in better players, more players as quickly as possible. NO ONE was looking to run-off anyone but given the NCAA Transfer statistics (an alarming rate) and the basic reality that kids leave when new coaches arrive, it was expected. Gelon goes, Curtis Jones goes, ROJO, Newark, Hartman graduate.

Anyway, one thing the staff did realize was that they had certain areas/ positions of strength after the 2018 recruiting class started taking shape. As basketball has evolved now into "lead guard- 3 others - post man" the staff felt the "others part" was getting pretty good. They knew they had Langford coming but only for a year and Justin Smith's athleticism and muscle was something they liked. After the commitments of Race Thompson, Damezi Anderson and especially Jerome Hunter, the staff was left with where we are...

The belief of the coaching staff was that Trendon Watford was and is a better high school basketball player than Keion Brooks, Jr. I think, even today, there's probably a point to be made that Watford can do a few more things on different spots of the floor than Brooks can. 

But, IU had two coaches I know of who kept coming back to a basic phrase "We don't need either to be a superstar from day 1." Largely, this belief stemmed from the fact that the 2018 kids would be good as sophomores and there was a holdover (Smith, Durham) that could also contribute meaningful minutes. So, some conversations took place and it was decided that Indiana would push for the better long-term target BECAUSE of what was already in the cupboard. Pushing for the longer-term gain rather than the known commodity. 

So, that's largely where we are. Keion Brooks Jr. has been the target and prize and main focal point of this staff. This current staff had better relationships with the family, an in-state player was easier to scout / visit more and the upside definitely leans his way. 

However...

Two weeks ago I had an interesting text from an IU fan and a friend of mine. Said person has a cousin that plays volleyball at Samford University. Take a basic glance at the Samford roster and you see his cousin... and Trendon Watford's sister. How convenient? 

So, the gist of the text was that "Ernest isn't as sure of the coaching staff's that Trendon is thinking about. He doesn't think any of them can really develop him." And he was adamant that IF Trendon wanted it (the parents do), IU would start recruiting him very, very heavily. Not necessarily because they need him but because... rightfully... you don't ignore a top-level recruit who hits you up and wants to play for you. That said, this has to be Trendon wanting this. It's his life, it's his decision. But, Archie texted him and told him "If you want us to recruit you, we will. Pick a date." 

So, I do agree with some of my initial assessment that IU has not recruited him in a long time. And, I do think LSU has the better staff of his 3 southern schools. But, if Trendon really wanted to develop and really thought about his long-term future and can grasp leaving the South, then I do expect Indiana to get involved. But, I don't think it will happen and I'm ok with it. The parents won't push Trendon to do anything he is uncomfortable with. And, if this chatter is to be believed, there are a few in his circle who think he should take a LONG, LONG look at Indiana. But, he has to do it. No one can force him too. And, I think IU's staff has been very smart about prioritizing elsewhere as the roster has other/ more serious needs besides some of the wing and forward spots. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Thank you very much. So essentially the ball is in the TW's court. If he says yes business could pick up very quickly? Can't imagine TW saying yes to start recruiting him again without feeling confident he wants to be here. No downside here in my opinion. He says yes. We go for it. He says no...we've done all we can. 

8 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

When Indiana's coaching staff first arrived, one of the most pressing issues was to increase the talent level. The coaches didn't think the current crop of players was good enough and they wanted to bring in better players, more players as quickly as possible. NO ONE was looking to run-off anyone but given the NCAA Transfer statistics (an alarming rate) and the basic reality that kids leave when new coaches arrive, it was expected. Gelon goes, Curtis Jones goes, ROJO, Newark, Hartman graduate.

Anyway, one thing the staff did realize was that they had certain areas/ positions of strength after the 2018 recruiting class started taking shape. As basketball has evolved now into "lead guard- 3 others - post man" the staff felt the "others part" was getting pretty good. They knew they had Langford coming but only for a year and Justin Smith's athleticism and muscle was something they liked. After the commitments of Race Thompson, Damezi Anderson and especially Jerome Hunter, the staff was left with where we are...

The belief of the coaching staff was that Trendon Watford was and is a better high school basketball player than Keion Brooks, Jr. I think, even today, there's probably a point to be made that Watford can do a few more things on different spots of the floor than Brooks can. 

But, IU had two coaches I know of who kept coming back to a basic phrase "We don't need either to be a superstar from day 1." Largely, this belief stemmed from the fact that the 2018 kids would be good as sophomores and there was a holdover (Smith, Durham) that could also contribute meaningful minutes. So, some conversations took place and it was decided that Indiana would push for the better long-term target BECAUSE of what was already in the cupboard. Pushing for the longer-term gain rather than the known commodity. 

So, that's largely where we are. Keion Brooks Jr. has been the target and prize and main focal point of this staff. This current staff had better relationships with the family, an in-state player was easier to scout / visit more and the upside definitely leans his way. 

However...

Two weeks ago I had an interesting text from an IU fan and a friend of mine. Said person has a cousin that plays volleyball at Samford University. Take a basic glance at the Samford roster and you see his cousin... and Trendon Watford's sister. How convenient? 

So, the gist of the text was that "Ernest isn't as sure of the coaching staff's that Trendon is thinking about. He doesn't think any of them can really develop him." And he was adamant that IF Trendon wanted it (the parents do), IU would start recruiting him very, very heavily. Not necessarily because they need him but because... rightfully... you don't ignore a top-level recruit who hits you up and wants to play for you. That said, this has to be Trendon wanting this. It's his life, it's his decision. But, Archie texted him and told him "If you want us to recruit you, we will. Pick a date." 

So, I do agree with some of my initial assessment that IU has not recruited him in a long time. And, I do think LSU has the better staff of his 3 southern schools. But, if Trendon really wanted to develop and really thought about his long-term future and can grasp leaving the South, then I do expect Indiana to get involved. But, I don't think it will happen and I'm ok with it. The parents won't push Trendon to do anything he is uncomfortable with. And, if this chatter is to be believed, there are a few in his circle who think he should take a LONG, LONG look at Indiana. But, he has to do it. No one can force him too. And, I think IU's staff has been very smart about prioritizing elsewhere as the roster has other/ more serious needs besides some of the wing and forward spots. 

Hopefully this helps. 

Makes absolute sense. Trendon obviously sees the positives that Indiana University can do for someone. He also sees how loyal and enthusiastic the fans are. That said it’s long way from home for family and he would have to get out from under his brothers shadow here. Hard to top his brothers contributions. He is definitely a pro prospect...now if he wants the quickest path probably isn’t here...but if he wants to be the best he can be I think he could develop the most here and get the best physical training and strength building anywhere here. Hopefully after he is done with his southern visits he just feels uneasy or incomplete...and gives us a chance.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Makes absolute sense. Trendon obviously sees the positives that Indiana University can do for someone. He also sees how loyal and enthusiastic the fans are. That said it’s long way from home for family and he would have to get out from under his brothers shadow here. Hard to top his brothers contributions. He is definitely a pro prospect...now if he wants the quickest path probably isn’t here...but if he wants to be the best he can be I think he could develop the most here and get the best physical training and strength building anywhere here. Hopefully after he is done with his southern visits he just feels uneasy or incomplete...and gives us a chance.

I would argue that the place he can develop the fastest is also the fastest route to the NBA 

24 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

However...

Hopefully this helps. 

CoachSS,

Your explanation about what Archie walked into and HAD to start with is very informative and much appreciated. Maybe this can help ease the frustration some critical Archie fans on here. It just reinforces what I have always thought about Archie, his staff and his determination to stay the course. Trendon would sure quiet the crowd if we could somehow still land him.

32 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

However...

Hopefully this helps. 

So here is my question is TW the other big fish recruit that has been rumored? Is it someone else? Or is that recruit just a message board urban legend? Or have you not heard? Just curious. 

4 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

It would be news to me. IU isn't recruiting Matthew Hurt and Isaiah Stewart is long gone. 

Everyone else is pretty much accounted for. I'd say message board urban legend sounds accurate enough. 

Thanks. So it sounds like the only guys IU is still targeting is Brooks, possibly Watford, and Beverly.

2 hours ago, Brass Cannon said:

I would argue that the place he can develop the fastest is also the fastest route to the NBA 

Quick can be the best...but long meaningful development that will be in his best interest and give him a leg up in the league is better and that is what I mean. Difference between showing off his talent and emphasizing him and actually improving his game that will take him a step up on the next level. To me it takes time to develop those other attributes that will benefit him long term...and I think we do that best. 

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

However...

Hopefully this helps. 

Thanks for the info! On the bold part, which coaches was that referring to?

One thing to note is that Watford’s final high school game currently is February 1st. Obviously that is before the post season which they will probably make a deep run but if he does make a trip to Bloomington I’d look for it to be after his team is eliminated or wins their state championship. 

Archived