Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

3 minutes ago, keeper05 said:

Well, a Kansas assistant is on wiretap saying Zion's dad wants 100k, a house and a job, which they say they can do and he commits to Duke, who was a distant 3rd for free? Over Kansas, who isn't chopped liver?

No Coach K is SO saintly his mere precense is worth more than that. The seas part and the glowing black hair man (all natural) walks in his white robe and holds out his hand and whispers “Zion, lead yourself not into temptation...but rather be clean of all of that evil and come to the pearly gates of Durham.”

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, BADGERVOL said:

No Coach K is SO saintly his mere precense is worth more than that. The seas part and the glowing black hair man (all natural) walks in his white robe and holds out his hand and whispers “Zion, lead yourself not into temptation...but rather be clean of all of that evil and come to the pearly gates of Durham.”

Hallelujah! Hallelujah!

And to this they all said   AMEN...…    🙏

9 hours ago, keeper05 said:

Well, a Kansas assistant is on wiretap saying Zion's dad wants 100k, a house and a job, which they say they can do and he commits to Duke, who was a distant 3rd for free? Over Kansas, who isn't chopped liver?

Exactly. Not rocket science here. I’ve always thought Coach K was a Sleeze! He is Fake to the media. Great coach tho but he dirty.

24 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Exactly. Not rocket science here. I’ve always thought Coach K was a Sleeze! He is Fake to the media. Great coach tho but he dirty.

He is better than Calipari but part of that "great coach" is getting consistently better players than just about everyone else in the game...until Cal showed up.  Then there was a dip and a sudden recalibration in their recruiting and voila, he is great again.  Also helps having the "world leader" as your #1 recruiting tool since the early 90's.

K has been cheating since at least Maggette and Boozer.  A better cheater came along for awhile but you notice that now Duke is beating out Kentucky for a bunch of those one and done guys.  I would offer that the reason we started to fall from the ranks of the elite is because we were so averse to getting involved in that stuff.  We dipped our toe in I think but we never took the dive.  UNC pays players and has fake classes for them.  Kentucky is over their head in players who were being offered money but just went to Cal because he is so golly-jeepers neat.  Duke?  See Kentucky.  Kansas?  All over those FBI investigation tapes.  You see what those guys are getting away with and realize that we blew our program up first over a boorish guy who was in the twilight of his career so a pissant like Myles Brand could finally take him out (and I know it is not nice to talk ill of the dead but bleep that guy 1,000 times over) and then we did it again over too many texts and phone calls.  Man we were dumb.

Just a quick question. Besides his list....has anything really happened to warrant getting excited about Watford? Or just eternal hope? I know the coaching changes have caused some shuffling but to me with his high school coach in line for a position at Bama i still think it's them or Memphis. Or am I dead wrong?

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a quick question. Besides his list....has anything really happened to warrant getting excited about Watford? Or just eternal hope? I know the coaching changes have caused some shuffling but to me with his high school coach in line for a position at Bama i still think it's them or Memphis. Or am I dead wrong?

If I remember correctly there was lots of smoke this past fall about TWAT to IU after CAM's in home visit.   Word was that he was ready to pull the trigger and sign with IU.

51 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

He is better than Calipari but part of that "great coach" is getting consistently better players than just about everyone else in the game...until Cal showed up.  Then there was a dip and a sudden recalibration in their recruiting and voila, he is great again.  Also helps having the "world leader" as your #1 recruiting tool since the early 90's.

K has been cheating since at least Maggette and Boozer.  A better cheater came along for awhile but you notice that now Duke is beating out Kentucky for a bunch of those one and done guys.  I would offer that the reason we started to fall from the ranks of the elite is because we were so averse to getting involved in that stuff.  We dipped our toe in I think but we never took the dive.  UNC pays players and has fake classes for them.  Kentucky is over their head in players who were being offered money but just went to Cal because he is so golly-jeepers neat.  Duke?  See Kentucky.  Kansas?  All over those FBI investigation tapes.  You see what those guys are getting away with and realize that we blew our program up first over a boorish guy who was in the twilight of his career so a pissant like Myles Brand could finally take him out (and I know it is not nice to talk ill of the dead but bleep that guy 1,000 times over) and then we did it again over too many texts and phone calls.  Man we were dumb.

Right, IU hasn’t done itself any favors. Blowing up our program over some phone calls to this day still irks me. Especially when programs are getting away with strippers and fake classes. It seems like we are trying to win the right way now and it takes a special coach to do that when you have your back against the wall from the beginning. There are a few programs that Show it can be done tho like Michigan and Villanova and butler when they have Stevens. 

IU is wearing on me though. More and more I think will I ever see another final four run. I’m usually estatic about the tournament but I couldn’t even fill out a bracket this year. I really believe tho Archie has us going In the right direction. The question is without cheating can the recruiting hold up long enough for him to have success and then be able to recruit off success like Michigan and Nova. Everyone knows how impatient our fans are and they can be just as big Of a negative to the program when they start calling for Archie’s head. Plus the media does us no favors. 

In the end the state of Indiana is the Mecca of basketball. Our high school basketball is like Texas football. No where else In the world does it get any bigger. When IU is good there is no harder place to play in America. We packed the place for an NIT game after a disappointing year. IU is special! It looked like Archie was a little surprised at the support after a disappointing year. IU Truly a sleeping giant that I never thought would take 20+ years to find its footing again. I hope the swing and miss on Brooks isn’t a sign of things to come. IU is way over due to find its place back among the elites every year. 

1 hour ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I hate to be a buzzkill, but all that reads to me is: speculation, speculation, speculation.

As we learned from the last week a lot of smoke does not constitute a fire - it there's no proof of an offense then at the end of the day all we have is.........speculation. I also hate to be a devil's advocate because I really don't like Duke and I definitely don't like Coach K, but here I go..... 

I'm not so sure Duke has to pay. Coach K is considered the biggest and best coach in the game. Duke pays their athletes in 'exposure' (they can thank ESPN and the sports media for that). What's a $100k under the table payment to a sure-fire lottery pick when they can make up more than that in endorsement deals from companies who make their value assessment based on exposure. Duke gets exposure. Kentucky gets exposure. Kansas gets exposure. 

Talent aside and purely from an 'endorsement perspective' which of these groups of first picks from the last 8 years had more value going into the NBA; which players had the bigger 'brand'?

Group 1: Bennet, SImmons, Fultz, Ayton.......or........

Group 2: Towns, Wiggins, Anothy Davis, Irving

Not to mention that LeBron's 'decision' and Durant going to Golden State made it trendy to give teams monopolies of talent. Kids want to win on stacked teams; they want to be considered good enough to play on these stacked teams. 

I have a feeling this is just the way it is - these programs are telling recruits that they can make more money in the long term by committing to their school and not break the rules. Win - win. The rich get richer. The irony is that IU has a big enough fan base and potential for exposure to be one of these programs; they just need to prove that they can win first. 

9 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I hate to be a buzzkill, but all that reads to me is: speculation, speculation, speculation.

As we learned from the last week a lot of smoke does not constitute a fire - it there's no proof of an offense then at the end of the day all we have is.........speculation. I also hate to be a devil's advocate because I really don't like Duke and I definitely don't like Coach K, but here I go..... 

I'm not so sure Duke has to pay. Coach K is considered the biggest and best coach in the game. Duke pays their athletes in 'exposure' (they can thank ESPN and the sports media for that). What's a $100k under the table payment to a sure-fire lottery pick when they can make up more than that in endorsement deals from companies who make their value assessment based on exposure. Duke gets exposure. Kentucky gets exposure. Kansas gets exposure. 

Talent aside and purely from an 'endorsement perspective' which of these groups of first picks from the last 8 years had more value going into the NBA; which players had the bigger 'brand'?

Group 1: Bennet, SImmons, Fultz, Ayton.......or........

Group 2: Towns, Wiggins, Anothy Davis, Irving

Not to mention that LeBron's 'decision' and Durant going to Golden State made it trendy to give teams monopolies of talent. Kids want to win on stacked teams; they want to be considered good enough to play on these stacked teams. 

I have a feeling this is just the way it is - these programs are telling recruits that they can make more money in the long term by committing to their school and not break the rules. Win - win. The rich get richer. The irony is that IU has a big enough fan base and potential for exposure to be one of these programs; they just need to prove that they can win first. 

Yeah.. good post and my thoughts exactly. 

It's simply speculation. A KU assistant said Zions dad wants 100K so that automatically means Duke paid him? Cmon now. The source matters. 

Maybe Duke is dirty... I honestly do not think so.. they really don't need to be. They're hands down the best program in the country and it's really not all that close. 

49 minutes ago, 5 championships said:

Right, IU hasn’t done itself any favors. Blowing up our program over some phone calls to this day still irks me. Especially when programs are getting away with strippers and fake classes. It seems like we are trying to win the right way now and it takes a special coach to do that when you have your back against the wall from the beginning. There are a few programs that Show it can be done tho like Michigan and Villanova and butler when they have Stevens. 

IU is wearing on me though. More and more I think will I ever see another final four run. I’m usually estatic about the tournament but I couldn’t even fill out a bracket this year. I really believe tho Archie has us going In the right direction. The question is without cheating can the recruiting hold up long enough for him to have success and then be able to recruit off success like Michigan and Nova. Everyone knows how impatient our fans are and they can be just as big Of a negative to the program when they start calling for Archie’s head. Plus the media does us no favors. 

In the end the state of Indiana is the Mecca of basketball. Our high school basketball is like Texas football. No where else In the world does it get any bigger. When IU is good there is no harder place to play in America. We packed the place for an NIT game after a disappointing year. IU is special! It looked like Archie was a little surprised at the support after a disappointing year. IU Truly a sleeping giant that I never thought would take 20+ years to find its footing again. I hope the swing and miss on Brooks isn’t a sign of things to come. IU is way over due to find its place back among the elites every year. 

I would rather be in our situation right now than go to the dark side and play the  recruiting game.  I would rather lose every game than have a coach like Cal coach at IU.  Also it was just  not phone calls that led to Sampson getting fired.  It was also some of the low character kids he brought into the program that made me want him gone.  I see no reason why we can't produce like UM or Villanova or even UW has with their type of recruiting.  Even UNC does not go the one and done route but get mainly kids in 25-75 range who stick around.

13 minutes ago, btownqb said:

It's simply speculation. A KU assistant said Zions dad wants 100K so that automatically means Duke paid him? Cmon now. The source matters. 

Maybe Duke is dirty... I honestly do not think so.. they really don't need to be. They're hands down the best program in the country and it's really not all that close. 

Duke doesn't have to do the work...guaranteed Nike is doing the work for them just like they do for Kentucky and just like Adidas does for Kansas and Louisville. 

I'd bet K knows he's getting tainted players though.

7 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Duke doesn't have to do the work...guaranteed Nike is doing the work for them just like they do for Kentucky and just like Adidas does for Kansas and Louisville. 

I'd bet K knows he's getting tainted players though.

Duke isn't UL and KU though. They're 4 or 5 steps above them. 

And again its speculation on your part. 

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I've been wrong a lot more than that... And told everyone in January it wasn't happening. Things change. If that's supposed to be a dig at me. So be it. 

No dig at all. I just don’t think anyone should take anything anyone says on a board as gospel. I appreciate everything you bring and good or bad as well as others with connections. 

5 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Duke isn't UL and KU though. They're 4 or 5 steps above them. 

And again its speculation on your part. 

...and on your part as well. You forget the Duke player throwing around big bucks for jewelry?

I like my chances of bring right on this one.

11 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

...and on your part as well. You forget the Duke player throwing around big bucks for jewelry?

I like my chances of bring right on this one.

Speculation because you all have brought nothing concrete forward? 

I just dont use speculation as fact because I'm jealous of what another program has. 

It's either Duke or Memphis.  LSU in what could be a lot of trouble, Alabama switching coaches and losing good talent(Kira Lewis) during the coaching change def doesn't help the case to lure Trendon, the fact that he would stay home and play college ball is the appeal.  IU will always be special to the Watfords.  My guess is Duke or Memphis

28 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I don't understand your perspective here. 

I'm not terribly familiar with the back story, but as presented here, Zion's dad asked for 100k, Kansas was willing and able to pay. He then went to Duke instead. Now, that doesn't convict someone beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal court, but it sure seems a lot more likely than not. Sure, Duke wins, they have a history of getting guys to the NBA - there are a lot of reasons to go there. But, the same can be said of Kansas. I guess Duke is better, but not my much. So, we're left with two similar programs, one willing to meet the 100k that was explicitly asked for, and now we're to believe he chose the other and got nothing? That's not impossible, but it doesn't make sense and seems really unlikely.

Unless the story isn't true, but from what I've read here the FBI wiretaps seem to back that up - is that not right? 

5 minutes ago, HoosierDom said:

I don't understand your perspective here. 

I'm not terribly familiar with the back story, but as presented here, Zion's dad asked for 100k, Kansas was willing and able to pay. He then went to Duke instead. Now, that doesn't convict someone beyond a reasonable doubt in criminal court, but it sure seems a lot more likely than not. Sure, Duke wins, they have a history of getting guys to the NBA - there are a lot of reasons to go there. But, the same can be said of Kansas. I guess Duke is better, but not my much. So, we're left with two similar programs, one willing to meet the 100k that was explicitly asked for, and now we're to believe he chose the other and got nothing? That's not impossible, but it doesn't make sense and seems really unlikely.

Unless the story isn't true, but from what I've read here the FBI wiretaps seem to back that up - is that not right? 

Not by much? KU has one title in the last like forever... how many does Duke have? 

Why wouldn't it make sense to go to Duke, great education, closer to home, better team, much better chance to win a NC...  

Archived