Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

12 hours ago, btownqb said:

I have zero suspicion of Duke quite honestly and think people who do are simply jealous. 

I have plenty of suspicion of Duke and am not the least bit jealous. 

Duke/Coach K don't directly pay the players, but Nike does. If Zion got 100k offer to go to School A, you really think he's going to School B (Duke) and not getting 100k or more?

Lance Thomas.

Marvin Bagley.

Corey Maggette.

The list goes on and on, so to have zero suspicion of Duke and use Kentucky fan logic that they don't have to pay players b/c they're such a great program that they don't have to seems illogical to me. 

John Wooden didn't get all those great players back in the day without a booster paying for them. Duke isn't getting all these players now without a "booster" (Nike) paying for them.

My brother played JC baseball coming out of a tiny Indiana HS, and he got improper benefits to help the fact that they couldn't give scholarships. If he's getting them, you really think that the top schools aren't making sure the top players are?

It has been going on since before my time and every one does it in one way or another (even us) IMO. Duke/Kentucky/UNC/Kansas/etc just do it to a much higher degree than most.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

That's what I was thinking. I've thought Bama or Memphis since last Fall and nothing I've read or heard has changed my mind. Thanks for confirming. 

LSU was controlling this one until recently. Do not count them out just yet. I do not believe we have pursued very hard and maybe that is what both sides wanted IDK. 

24 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

It's either Duke or Memphis.  LSU in what could be a lot of trouble, Alabama switching coaches and losing good talent(Kira Lewis) during the coaching change def doesn't help the case to lure Trendon, the fact that he would stay home and play college ball is the appeal.  IU will always be special to the Watfords.  My guess is Duke or Memphis

Duke is getting Matthew Hurt and so I see Trendon Landing at Memphis because there won’t be enough minutes

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

LSU was controlling this one until recently. Do not count them out just yet. I do not believe we have pursued very hard and maybe that is what both sides wanted IDK. 

Things can and do change...I get that. I'm paraphrasing here but basically the thought was we'll recruit you if you want to be recruited is what Archie told them. The proverbial ball is in their court and honestly I like that approach from our staff. Why spend visits/trips,etc.....if the reciprocity isn't there. Watford's already know all they need to know about IU anyway. 

Just now, HoosierKix said:

Duke is getting Matthew Hurt and so I see Trendon Landing at Memphis because there won’t be enough minutes

And this is a very key thing about Duke. Watford's aren't dumb. They know the likelihood of Trendon being recruited over at Duke is very real....which is why I keep going back to Memphis or Bama.

Regarding Duke.  Here are some numbers for you:

Recruiting class ranking by year over the last decade or so:

2007 - 11

2008 -14

2009 - 20

2010 - 16

2011 - 2

2012 -41

2013 - 9

2014 - 1

2015 -2

2016 - 1

2017 -1

2018 -1

A few notable things happened during this stretch that could affect these numbers.  First, Duke won it all in the 2009-2010 season which likely positively impacted that class of 2011.  Second, and most notable, Kentucky won it all in 2011-2012.  This was Cal's 3rd year at UK and his third straight #1 rated recruiting class featuring Anthony Davis and Teague.  Look at the trend after this and tell me something did not change with Coach K's "philosophy".  Yeah, Duke is clean.  Cal forced K's hand imo but doesn't mean he is innocent. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Things can and do change...I get that. I'm paraphrasing here but basically the thought was we'll recruit you if you want to be recruited is what Archie told them. The proverbial ball is in their court and honestly I like that approach from our staff. Why spend visits/trips,etc.....if the reciprocity isn't there. Watford's already know all they need to know about IU anyway. 

Exactly. Part of me and a little birdie told me that if we truly would have pressed more we might have been the choice. No guarantee. I have no insight on what the staff does or wants to do but I think they thought it would be KB or TW and prioritized KB which I cannot fault. 

29 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

And this is a very key thing about Duke. Watford's aren't dumb. They know the likelihood of Trendon being recruited over at Duke is very real....which is why I keep going back to Memphis or Bama.

Don’t see Bama being in because even if they hire his high school coach, they have lost all their good players!

30 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I have plenty of suspicion of Duke and am not the least bit jealous. 

Duke/Coach K don't directly pay the players, but Nike does. If Zion got 100k offer to go to School A, you really think he's going to School B (Duke) and not getting 100k or more?

Lance Thomas.

Marvin Bagley.

Corey Maggette.

The list goes on and on, so to have zero suspicion of Duke and use Kentucky fan logic that they don't have to pay players b/c they're such a great program that they don't have to seems illogical to me. 

John Wooden didn't get all those great players back in the day without a booster paying for them. Duke isn't getting all these players now without a "booster" (Nike) paying for them.

My brother played JC baseball coming out of a tiny Indiana HS, and he got improper benefits to help the fact that they couldn't give scholarships. If he's getting them, you really think that the top schools aren't making sure the top players are?

It has been going on since before my time and every one does it in one way or another (even us) IMO. Duke/Kentucky/UNC/Kansas/etc just do it to a much higher degree than most.

I think shoe companies do have a vested interest in steering kids to programs they sponsor but how far does that influence reach?  We can speculate what’s logical and what’s not all we want, but in Coach K’s case and the players you mention above, what exactly has been proven that’d warrant a punishment for Duke?

The heat is on all programs right now. K is still getting the best recruits. I’m not sure he’d take a risk this big to tarnish his legacy. Exposure is more valuable to a blue chipper than pay for play money - it’s worth more in the long run and you don’t have to get your hands dirty. 

10 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I think shoe companies do have a vested interest in steering kids to programs they sponsor but how far does that influence reach?  We can speculate what’s logical and what’s not all we want, but in Coach K’s case and the players you mention above, what exactly has been proven that’d warrant a punishment for Duke?

The heat is on all programs right now. K is still getting the best recruits. I’m not sure he’d take a risk this big to tarnish his legacy. Exposure is more valuable to a blue chipper than pay for play money - it’s worth more in the long run and you don’t have to get your hands dirty. 

Did Duke have exposure prior to 2014?

1 minute ago, tdhoosier said:

Nothing I know is proven that'd warrant a punishment for Duke, just like nothing has been proven that punished Wooden or Calipari either. Cam Newton's case was proven and no punishment was given to Auburn or the other school involved (apologies can't remember). The people doing this well, don't make mistakes. Some of the people they pay make mistakes (Lance Thomas), but it still doesn't get tied back to them (or the school the kid played at). They are very unlikely to ever be caught by the NCAA. It took the FBI's involvement to uncover some of them.

The thing is Coach K doesn't really have to take the risk. He insulates himself just like Cal and others do. Self's text message exchange is pretty damning of himself and other high level programs. I'm sure Self figured no way the NCAA ever has the ability to check my messages, but once the FBI got involved he was exposed. I'm guessing K and Cal were smarter than that, but we'll see once the FBI is done.

I just don't see many, if any, top level recruits turning down large sums of money or benefits from top level schools to go to a different top level school for free. Carlos Boozer said he turned down plenty of "offers" to play at Duke. What he didn't say was that Duke didn't offer him more.

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Speculation because you all have brought nothing concrete forward? 

I just dont use speculation as fact because I'm jealous of what another program has. 

Now you're speculating about my motives...nice try, Sparky.  Why don't you try this on for size and then tell me again I have nothing concrete.:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8348908/former-duke-blue-devils-f-lance-thomas-purchased-100000-jewelry

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article201728204.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article207007143.html

That concrete enough for you?  Stop spouting off about things you are too lazy to research.,

16 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Now you're speculating about my motives...nice try, Sparky.  Why don't you try this on for size and then tell me again I have nothing concrete.:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/8348908/former-duke-blue-devils-f-lance-thomas-purchased-100000-jewelry

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/article201728204.html

https://www.newsobserver.com/sports/college/acc/duke/article207007143.html

That concrete enough for you?  Stop spouting off about things you are too lazy to research.,

First dont tell me what to do.. sorry for having a different opinion then you.. 

I've read every article you have, the internet is for all of us. 🤷‍♂️

11 minutes ago, btownqb said:

So you've called me an ass and a fool. Yet... I am the disrespectful one. Eeeesh. You've got some problems man. If you think what I've said in this thread is arrogant, not really sure what to tell you. I never mad anything personal you did. 

Quite honestly I dont pay attention to what you post. Sorry. 

14 hours ago, btownqb said:

I have zero suspicion of Duke quite honestly and think people who do are simply jealous. 

Don't play the victim here.  After all, anyone who thinks Duke has any dirt on the program is just jealous.  Typical from you.  I'll just do us both a favor and ignore your arrogant commentary going forward.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Don't play the victim here.  After all, anyone who thinks Duke has any dirt on the program is just jealous.  Typical from you.  I'll just do us both a favor and ignore your arrogant commentary going forward.

Ok bud. Still no idea what I did to you. Have a good one 

Archived