Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know everyone is having fun with the Christian job thing.  Just for polite discussion: 

Forget working here.  I'm not sure it's a great idea to have C here for the visit. 

This is Trendon's time.

Just yesterday, I read that it's necessary to have silence between the notes.  

I see that as Christian's role now.  I hope he's very quiet.  Says almost nothing.  Lets Trendon take the lead.  Every time someone tries to get Christian to talk, he should point to his brother and say "I'm just here for support.  This is his decision.  Talk to him." 

Repeat as needed.

Seeing how people treat Christian is a good thing.  It's joy and respect and appreciation.  But I sure hope Trendon isn't standing around while Christian is in the spotlight.

9 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Hasn't CoachSS stated that its unlikely that Watford would come to Indiana.

Reset button got pressed on Sunday, I'd say.

Edit: Doesn't mean that our odds are that much better, but all previous predictions should be allowed to be reconsidered.

10 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

Reset button got pressed on Sunday, I'd say.

Edit: Doesn't mean that our odds are that much better, but all previous predictions should be allowed to be reconsidered.

I been out of the loop alittle over the several days...is Watford visiting, not visiting, seems like were in and out with him

I will preface this with this does not mean I think he will be a Hoosier but lots of talk about things happening on many fronts that have recently made us very very attractive.  Those around TW and our staff are saying and doing the right things. We are very much the most talked about and currently the hot topic but that does not always mean it ends with an. IU committment.  I still believe had we made TW the priority like we did the Mustard  kid, I mean Catsup kid, he would have already signed on to be at Indiana.  (Hope no recruits parents get their feelings hurt)

8 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

I will preface this with this does not mean I think he will be a Hoosier but lots of talk about things happening on many fronts that have recently made us very very attractive.  Those around TW and our staff are saying and doing the right things. We are very much the most talked about and currently the hot topic but that does not always mean it ends with an. IU committment.  I still believe had we made TW the priority like we did the Mustard  kid, I mean Catsup kid, he would have already signed on to be at Indiana.  (Hope no recruits parents get their feelings hurt)

Watford family is above getting their feelings hurt. Whether we get Trendon or not, the Watfords are nothing but great people and classy.

18 minutes ago, HOOSIER1321 said:

Watford family is above getting their feelings hurt. Whether we get Trendon or not, the Watfords are nothing but great people and classy.

Exactly.  One of the classiest for sure.  The parents of our players in 2012 are IMO the niceest that I had the pleasure to get to know. 

Where did it come from that Trendon is trying to avoid playing the 4?  I hate to say it, but that's what he is, at least for college.  It's not easy for a team to have four guys bigger (two starters, two backups) to play at the 4/5 positions.  

I'm really hoping we get away from the dribble weave, and our 4 can be moving, cutting, screening with everyone else.  As I understand it, that's what Archie wants to do, we just didn't make it this year where basically none of our 3-5 had a perimeter game outside of Romeo driving in.  If we were to land Trendon, we do now have plenty of depth at the 4/5 to where I guess we might be attractive so he can play some 3.  And having 3 guys 6'9" or above on the floor would be nuts.  

I've said this before, if you haven't seen Trendon play yet, you'll get a kick out of it.  Same mannerisms as his brother.  

25 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

Where did it come from that Trendon is trying to avoid playing the 4?  I hate to say it, but that's what he is, at least for college.  It's not easy for a team to have four guys bigger (two starters, two backups) to play at the 4/5 positions.  

I'm really hoping we get away from the dribble weave, and our 4 can be moving, cutting, screening with everyone else.  As I understand it, that's what Archie wants to do, we just didn't make it this year where basically none of our 3-5 had a perimeter game outside of Romeo driving in.  If we were to land Trendon, we do now have plenty of depth at the 4/5 to where I guess we might be attractive so he can play some 3.  And having 3 guys 6'9" or above on the floor would be nuts.  

I've said this before, if you haven't seen Trendon play yet, you'll get a kick out of it.  Same mannerisms as his brother.  

Good point about the dribble weave. When you look at how Troy Williams was used on college, he was most lethal as a cutter.

Now you look at Justin Smith and how he's used, and I think it's safe to say he's not being used as effectively. Granted, Justin himself has to share some blame, but Crean played Troy to his strengths. Much of that also is the player accepting who he is. Troy was perfectly fine being used in that way, as it played to his strengths.

18 minutes ago, ephul said:

Good point about the dribble weave. When you look at how Troy Williams was used on college, he was most lethal as a cutter.

Now you look at Justin Smith and how he's used, and I think it's safe to say he's not being used as effectively. Granted, Justin himself has to share some blame, but Crean played Troy to his strengths. Much of that also is the player accepting who he is. Troy was perfectly fine being used in that way, as it played to his strengths.

Agree in part -- would add that Crean and his staff also developed Troy over time to have an outside shot. By the time he declared he had a respectable outside shot and utilized it well in getting on a team.

Troy was developed (offensively) as a baseline cutter and a guy who could pull up from outside. Smith, imo, should be developed similarly. His outside game needs work, but he's young, plenty of time to develop it along with his game attacking the rim. He has a lot of upside, a lot of it is raw -- and that is a lot like Troy was.

2 hours ago, Billingsley99 said:

Agree with this. Had a much more detailed post I somehow deleted, but I'm hearing more optimism from people that previously said no chance. Nothing concrete either way, but much more positive.

47 minutes ago, Stromboli said:

I really hope you're right on this. I can't stand the dribble weave. Where did you get the info that Archie wants to get away from it?

18 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Agree in part -- would add that Crean and his staff also developed Troy over time to have an outside shot. By the time he declared he had a respectable outside shot and utilized it well in getting on a team.

Troy was developed (offensively) as a baseline cutter and a guy who could pull up from outside. Smith, imo, should be developed similarly. His outside game needs work, but he's young, plenty of time to develop it along with his game attacking the rim. He has a lot of upside, a lot of it is raw -- and that is a lot like Troy was.

Agree 100%. Troy knew what his bread and butter was. And when he took threes in a game, they were wide open threes that you wouldn't blame him for taking. As his three point shot progressed, the degree of difficulty of those shots went up a bit. 

“Being used” is well beyond overplayed. If your on the floor, there is equal free air and opportunity for you to create your own game. Having the ability and motor to do so is the difference.

It could be said that Juwann wasn’t being used as a point guard but was being used as an inside post presence. Yet, Juwann would play the entire floor. Juwann would create his own game. 

Damon Bailey & Eric Gordon for example, was known for controlling the game. They had the ability and motor to create their own shot and offense for teammates. The reason player X isn’t producing more and on a consistent basis is player X himself.

Troy and Justin are only comparable in jumping ability. Otherwise, complete polar opposites. 

I do agree though on the weave sentiment. 

2 hours ago, Stromboli said:

I'm really hoping we get away from the dribble weave, and our 4 can be moving, cutting, screening with everyone else.  As I understand it, that's what Archie wants to do, we just didn't make it this year where basically none of our 3-5 had a perimeter game outside of Romeo driving in.  If we were to land Trendon, we do now have plenty of depth at the 4/5 to where I guess we might be attractive so he can play some 3.  And having 3 guys 6'9" or above on the floor would be nuts.   ï»ż

I've heard in passing (no one source, just over time) that Trendon didn't want to play the 5, which is understandable.  He doesn't have Christian's range at the moment, but he's better in the paint.  Some of that has to do with the fact that he's just bigger than Christian was.  I don't think he's laterally quick enough to play the 3 full time, but he could become a great inside-outside matchup nightmare.  Where Christian was the definition of a stretch 4 (capable inside, but better outside), Trendon could be more of a 4-with-range (balanced inside and outside). 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

“Being used” is well beyond overplayed. If your on the floor, there is equal free air and opportunity for you to create your own game. Having the ability and motor to do so is the difference.

It could be said that Juwann wasn’t being used as a point guard but was being used as an inside post presence. Yet, Juwann would play the entire floor. Juwann would create his own game.  ï»ż

Damon Bailey & Eric Gordon for example, was known for controlling the game. They had the ability and motor to create their own shot and offense for teammates. The reason player X isn’t producing more and on a consistent basis is player X himself.

Troy and Justin are only comparable in jumping ability. Otherwise, complete polar opposites.  ï»ż

I do agree though on the weave sentiment. 

A lot of truth to that.  There were many, many times that Troy would take control of possessions.  Some of those times ended with statements like "What the hell is he doing?", and some of those ended with statements like "Oh God, not aga....OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!".  But better or worse, Troy would put his fate in his own hands.  By comparison, Justin is much more reactionary. 

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

A lot of truth to that.  There were many, many times that Troy would take control of possessions.  Some of those times ended with statements like "What the hell is he doing?", and some of those ended with statements like "Oh God, not aga....OHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!".  But better or worse, Troy would put his fate in his own hands.  By comparison, Justin is much more reactionary. 

But part of how Troy was played and how Justin is played is what the clearly different coaches allow.

you can’t just say players create their own game. The coach and coaching style has a great deal to do with that. Anyone really think CAM is cool with letting Justin figure out and expand his game himself on the floor? The kid has a ways to go, but had shown a lot of potential 

Archived