Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
59 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I wanted him before Brooks anyway. 

I did as well. Watford has a similar game to Juwan...be that matchup nightmare as a stretch 4. Post up smaller guys but take bigger guys out on the floor and shoot drive pass. He is an upgrade for sure over Smith (and I think we likely lose Smith if he comes). Brooks is a wing...but mainly a 3. We have Hunter who is a three already and imo better than Brooks. Plus we have Anderson that can back up the 3. If we want to go small we can also play Armaan at the 3 as well. Brooks was a luxury...Watford would fit a need and would likely stick around til he graduates in 3-4 years. I would be so psyched if we land him...regardless what happens at the guard spot..we are on some good guards in 20 and 21 so not worried there.

12 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I did as well. Watford has a similar game to Juwan...be that matchup nightmare as a stretch 4. Post up smaller guys but take bigger guys out on the floor and shoot drive pass. He is an upgrade for sure over Smith (and I think we likely lose Smith if he comes). Brooks is a wing...but mainly a 3. We have Hunter who is a three already and imo better than Brooks. Plus we have Anderson that can back up the 3. If we want to go small we can also play Armaan at the 3 as well. Brooks was a luxury...Watford would fit a need and would likely stick around til he graduates in 3-4 years. I would be so psyched if we land him...regardless what happens at the guard spot..we are on some good guards in 20 and 21 so not worried there.

Your game is pretty weak if you're afraid to compete with a freshman. It's not like it's Zion coming to town. Imagine if upperclassmen from past successful IU squads bolted every time an All American or Mr. Basketball committed. If Smith leaves before his junior year because of an incoming recruit, that would speak volumes. Part of me thinks a lot of talk about Green and Smith is based on people's opinions of their game though. Not saying Smith won't leave, but if he's this soft or afraid of competition, why come to Indiana (or other high level programs) to begin with? 

5 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

Your game is pretty weak if you're afraid to compete with a freshman. It's not like it's Zion coming to town. Imagine if upperclassmen from past successful IU squads bolted every time an All American or Mr. Basketball committed. If Smith leaves before his junior year because of an incoming recruit, that would speak volumes. Part of me thinks a lot of talk about Green and Smith is based on people's opinions of their game though. Not saying Smith won't leave, but if he's this soft or afraid of competition, why come to Indiana (or other high level programs) to begin with? 

Well sounds like a mute point as coach seems pretty sure he isn't coming. I agree...it would be my opinion that Smith would leave given how his family feels about Archie and the fact we just recruited two 5* players in TJD and Watford to play his position. We have room for him...and he could contribute..hopefully he would take it as a challenge and compete.

37 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As has been discussed previously, there has always been a very, very small chance Watford ends up at Indiana. 

Based on some of the more recent talk from those involved and who would know... this continues to be the case. 

Thankfully, no one had their sights set on him committing. 

Then why did we have an in-home?

Just now, CoachSS said:

April 4: "There's a small, small crack and BOTH sides are looking into the opening."

That's why ^^^. Nothing substantial came from it. 

Who stated there was a small crack? TW? Or was there speculation there was a crack due to issues with coaches at the other schools? I’m just trying to understand how it makes sense. I’m confused bc he knows what IU is about. He did a long time ago, he did a year ago, he did a month ago, and he did before CAM visited again recently.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

April 4: "There's a small, small crack and BOTH sides are looking into the opening."

That's why ^^^. Nothing substantial came from it. 

If they were not really interested in IU why have an in home or take a visit because that seems just like a waste of time.  Not saying he is coming here but to state there is not much interest I would think is inaccurate.

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Why take his word as Gospel because he has been wrong before like saying Brooks was a lock

I realize it's all fluid, but I still put more stock into something Coach SS says on these types of things....than well...a guy like me. He is probably the first to admit when he's wrong on a topic. Also think some of the insiders are starting to soften their stance on "lock" talk because as you have mentioned, they have been wrong on the "locks" before.

It is weird that he seemingly isn't interested yet he took an in home...and then scheduled a visit to IU? So is the IU visit not happening now?? Those aren't the actions of someone that isn't interested....I don't pretend to think he is coming here....but I do 100% believe the kid hasn't made up his mind....and that means the door is open to us convincing him his home is here for the next 3-4 years.

5 minutes ago, ArchieBall13 said:

I realize it's all fluid, but I still put more stock into something Coach SS says on these types of things....than well...a guy like me. He is probably the first to admit when he's wrong on a topic. Also think some of the insiders are starting to soften their stance on "lock" talk because as you have mentioned, they have been wrong on the "locks" before.

I just think if IU had no chance then Archie would not still be working this hard  and wasting his time on this recruitment.  Also I don't think the Watford's are the type who would let this go this far and waste their time as well if they were not still looking seriously at IU.

5 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Why take his word as Gospel because he has been wrong before like saying Brooks was a lock

Have you been wrong?  If so, was it so publicly?  (Not trying to sound arrogant with those questions, I have been very wrong and it has been very public - it sucks).

Either way, barbs like this can send insiders into hiding, fortunately, Coach keeps posting as does IUWins and others.  Before anyone says "get thicker skin", imagine, having some info that you know is accurate right now and not sharing it with those you know would enjoy it the most?  Later on, though the info was correct in that moment, it turns out things have changed.  Now you not only feel wrong, but a few of those you shared the info with pile on and call you out and say "stuff".

@IU Scott Just like you said in another thread, regarding enjoying the game for entertainment, I suggest trying to enjoy the inside information the same way.

As far as the lock talk softening, in the last 24 mos or so, I believe 'virtual lock' is the most extreme adjective I've witnessed.  I agree, it has softened, as far back as a couple/few years ago.

8 hours ago, PoHoosier said:

Have you been wrong?  If so, was it so publicly?  (Not trying to sound arrogant with those questions, I have been very wrong and it has been very public - it sucks).

Either way, barbs like this can send insiders into hiding, fortunately, Coach keeps posting as does IUWins and others.  Before anyone says "get thicker skin", imagine, having some info that you know is accurate right now and not sharing it with those you know would enjoy it the most?  Later on, though the info was correct in that moment, it turns out things have changed.  Now you not only feel wrong, but a few of those you shared the info with pile on and call you out and say "stuff".

@IU Scott Just like you said in another thread, regarding enjoying the game for entertainment, I suggest trying to enjoy the inside information the same way.

As far as the lock talk softening, in the last 24 mos or so, I believe 'virtual lock' is the most extreme adjective I've witnessed.  I agree, it has softened, as far back as a couple/few years ago.

What kind of insider runs into hiding because they can't take criticism, especially when they use the term as "lock", and end up being wrong?

If you're going to share the info, you need to be willing to accept the praise and the criticism that comes with being right or wrong.

Good post again Po. Nearly every post of mine walks a fine line of being wrong so I hear that! 

Just to piggyback off of the point that you're making...I went to Castle where the Hemenway kid went and the Castle AD is texting buddies with a good friend of mine and that friend told me where he thought he was going so I shared that here. Nope, he was wrong. 

What makes it even more bizarre is that the Clemson coach who was also recruiting Alex is from a few miles away which should have told you all you needed to know and he still got mixed up. So it's super easy to have solid info go awry for sure.

13 hours ago, CoachSS said:

It is not inaccurate

Because I’m almost always accurate? Maybe that’s is why? (Keyword: “almost”)

Why did you not answer my question of why would Archie be still working so hard on this recruitment if he knows they have no chance.  Also why would the Watford's let this play out if they know they have no interest in IU because I don't think they are that kind of people.

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I know someone who is very, very, very connected to the IUBB scene. He shared something that was going on (at the time) last year. Something changed. People mocked him for it. He doesn’t post here anymore. It isn’t because he doesn’t have thick skin. There just isn’t anything in it for him. 

This is why people who know what is going on leave or become super quiet over time. Because people who hide behind fake names and firewalls tell them they are wrong or don’t know what they are talking about. 

It’s especially rich when the guy I am referring too has flown privately with members of the coaching staff. 

Just passing along. 

Well said

16 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I think I would say I am past the point of owing you an explanation of what is going on. 

I don’t know you and your tone suggests I shouldn’t be taken seriously. So why should I put the time in with you? 

You've been as spot on as anyone here and we appreciate your insight.  Thanks for continuing to provide it.

Very well said. I love the people (and there's more than just the one you noted in your post) who tell us to just enjoy sports for entertainment,etc.....but spend all day long ripping information for hours on a board. 

18 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I think I would say I am past the point of owing you an explanation of what is going on. 

I don’t know you and your tone suggests I shouldn’t be taken seriously. So why should I put the time in with you? 

Where did I say you shouldn't be taken seriously but just saying that your word should not be taken as gospel.  I guess the reason you did not answer the question is that you don't have the answer for that question.

Archived