Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

22 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I think some of you are delusional if you don't think Trayce is starting.  He's a burger boy and a 5 star recruit.  He didn't come here to come off the bench.  He's also inheriting an NIT team that just lost it's 2 best players.  We probably don't win 10 games this season without Romeo and Morgan.  It's not like he's coming to the 1993 Hoosiers who were returning nearly everyone off a FF run.

Delusional? 

Haha

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Assuming TJD comes in and starts is premature. He is a really good player. But big man freshman dont typically come in and take over right away.

My guess is he start the season coming off the bench and playing about 20 mins.

Then gradually moved up from.there based on performance.

Physically, he is not going to be at the level of Smith, Davis or Brunk, and even Race At his position, at this level, that matters.

It is typically easier for guards to adapt to the college game than it is for the big guys.

We shall see. The good news is, we seem to be really deep upfront.

You may be right, but I'm pretty sure that folks can come up with plenty of examples of freshmen bigs who started and had an impact.  What I actually hear you saying is that maybe TJD isn't quite as capable as many think and we should be patient.  I've never seen the young man play, so I have no idea, but as you say..."We shall see."

1 hour ago, jv1972iu said:

You may be right, but I'm pretty sure that folks can come up with plenty of examples of freshmen bigs who started and had an impact.  What I actually hear you saying is that maybe TJD isn't quite as capable as many think and we should be patient.  I've never seen the young man play, so I have no idea, but as you say..."We shall see."

Oh, no. You are reading into my post too much. I have not seen him in person. And he may be beyond capable (I hope he is). 

I am just saying it is not a lock that he starts. We have a lot of experienced depth and mature bodies up front. So it just may not be as easy as register for classes and get your starting spot.

For me, it is pure speculation and not judging or predicting beyond my history of seeing bigs typically taking a little longer to catch up to the speed of the game at this level.

I am absolutely.making no assumptions on  TJD. He sure did not luck his way to being an all american. Clearly he is special.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Oh, no. You are reading into my post too much. I have not seen him in person. And he may be beyond capable (I hope he is). 

I am just saying it is not a lock that he starts. We have a lot of experienced depth and mature bodies up front. So it just may not be as easy as register for classes and get your starting spot.

For me, it is pure speculation and not judging or predicting beyond my history of seeing bigs typically taking a little longer to catch up to the speed of the game at this level.

I am absolutely.making no assumptions on  TJD. He sure did not luck his way to being an all american. Clearly he is special.

Or I am delusional for having a different opinion than our resident counsel.  :)

13 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Or I am delusional for having a different opinion than our resident counsel.  :)

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with him saying “ I THINK some of you are delusional ....”. That’s not disrespectful or matter of fact. He was just saying he disagreed with your opinion. 

If TJD, a five star burger boy, can’t come in and start right away he is either overrated or we have more talent on this roster than some folks wanted  to admit when we were in the midst of losing 12 of 13.

Before anyone gets out of sorts, I believe we have more talent and not that he is overrated.  The we have no talent mantra just got a bit stale for my taste last season    

37 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

I understand exactly what you're saying.  😁

38 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

If TJD, a five star burger boy, can’t come in and start right away he is either overrated or we have more talent on this roster than some folks wanted  to admit when we were in the midst of losing 12 of 13.

Before anyone gets out of sorts, I believe we have more talent and not that he is overrated.  The we have no talent mantra just got a bit stale for my taste last season    

FYI TJD fell to a 4* on the last ranking of the year. Just so we be clear...which means absolutely nothing! Fact is we are very deep up front and Justin is our most versatile defender. We’ve seen him guard bigs, athletic wings, and even guards...his athleticism while not really translating on the offensive end most of the time does translate on defense. He went through a spell where not unlike everyone else on this team during our losing streak was not giving that same effort and I’m not going to hate on Justin because I saw it from Morgan, Green, Romeo and others..even Rob wasn’t himself but the whole team was like that. But when Justin was engaged his defense was best on the team imo...and that is Archie’s calling card..so if Trayce is a little slow to learn defense than he will come off the bench. 

1 minute ago, dgambill said:

FYI TJD fell to a 4* on the last ranking of the year. Just so we be clear...which means absolutely nothing! Fact is we are very deep up front and Justin is our most versatile defender. We’ve seen him guard bigs, athletic wings, and even guards...his athleticism while not really translating on the offensive end most of the time does translate on defense. He went through a spell where not unlike everyone else on this team during our losing streak was not giving that same effort and I’m not going to hate on Justin because I saw it from Morgan, Green, Romeo and others..even Rob wasn’t himself but the whole team was like that. But when Justin was engaged his defense was best on the team imo...and that is Archie’s calling card..so if Trayce is a little slow to learn defense than he will come off the bench. 

Regarding TJD's ranking.. That was just ESPN. He is still a 5-star on Rivals and 247.

1 minute ago, KDB said:

Regarding TJD's ranking.. That was just ESPN. He is still a 5-star on Rivals and 247.

Indeed...which means nothing when it comes to if he will start. Defense starts for Archie...now I expect TJD to do plenty of starting this year and maybe starting at the 5 and sliding over to the 4 with matchups but as far as starting over Justin I wouldn’t count on it. Nassir Little was a top 10 recruit and he didn’t start at UNC.

15 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Indeed...which means nothing when it comes to if he will start. Defense starts for Archie...now I expect TJD to do plenty of starting this year and maybe starting at the 5 and sliding over to the 4 with matchups but as far as starting over Justin I wouldn’t count on it. Nassir Little was a top 10 recruit and he didn’t start at UNC.

Big difference between starting on a team that won its conference and was a #1 seed and starting on the team we’re going to put out next year...

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Big difference between starting on a team that won its conference and was a #1 seed and starting on the team we’re going to put out next year...

Starting over seniors and upper class man isn’t a given..he will have to earn it...if he does I will be that much happier.

1 hour ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Well I know of 3 5 star all Americans from last years class that did not start a game last year.  Little at UNC, Qunnerly at Nova and brown at Nevada.

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

They all played on teams that were good. 

Well two of them never even got on the court in Quinerly and Brown and to me if you are an all American you should see the court.  Not saying TJD won't start but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion ether.

We sucked last year and we lost our 2 best players and leading scorers.   The starting lineup is very much up for grabs next year.  Rob is the only returning player that is safe to pencil in.  

That being said I expect our upper class guys to step it up but we shall see.

Go Hoosiers!!!

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well two of them never even got on the court in Quinerly and Brown and to me if you are an all American you should see the court.  Not saying TJD won't start but I don't think it is a forgone conclusion ether.

6 minutes ago, btownqb said:

I do

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That is fine but I disagree

hqdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Is this new?  I saw some very bad, did I say very bad defense last year and the culprits started game after game.  Did I say very bad defense?

Archived