Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, rico said:

Did you post that in the "Suggestion Thread"?

That's a great suggestion.  Though I have been posting liberally in threads to visit the Animal House, during the off season.... it never crossed my mind to do that.  After posting this reply.... I will be headed to the Suggestion Thread.   Thanks !

Just a thought and it relates to Watford and LQ. Goes to show how important being in on these kids early is. Not so much with Watford until they asked to be recruited but missing on Watford/LQ (if we do) I think can partially be because of the time we spent on KB Jr. Maybe I'm off. 

31 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Just a thought and it relates to Watford and LQ. Goes to show how important being in on these kids early is. Not so much with Watford until they asked to be recruited but missing on Watford/LQ (if we do) I think can partially be because of the time we spent on KB Jr. Maybe I'm off. 

Agreed.  Watford should have been a priority the minute he entered high school.

48 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I always wondered why BROOKS, BROOKS, BROOKS, and questioned this, but from what I understand Watford didn't want IU recruiting him. By the way, Brooks still stings 

1 hour ago, iuvol said:

I always wondered why BROOKS, BROOKS, BROOKS, and questioned this, but from what I understand Watford didn't want IU recruiting him. By the way, Brooks still stings 

Most likely due to the "inside-out" recruiting. Archie stated it and was following through on it. Many on here also prefer Indiana HS recruits to out of state ones. I don't care where the player is born or plays HS ball. I want the best players we can get, that fit into Archie's systems, and most of all want to be Indiana Hoosiers. Brooks doesn't sting to me, because he didn't want to be an Indiana Hoosier, so he doesn't meet at least one of the things I'm looking for.

25 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if he still chooses LSU after everything that has come out about Wade and his involvement in this scandal it tells me about mind set.

While it would be disappointing, I think it is unfair to paint a broad brush stroke that some are implying.

We need to look no further than Bob Knight to understand why some good, decent kids wouls select IU even though others found the situation reprehensible.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

While it would be disappointing, I think it is unfair to paint a broad brush stroke that some are implying.

We need to look no further than Bob Knight to understand why some good, decent kids wouls select IU even though others found the situation reprehensible.

All I am saying is that they don't care if the coach of the school they choose cheats and not saying they are on the take.

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

To me if he still chooses LSU after everything that has come out about Wade and his involvement in this scandal it tells me about mind set.

I've got the utmost respect for the Watford family, but yeah...it's really hard to ignore that Trendon is considering playing for a coach with very questionable ethics/character.  That just doesn't square with everything else we know about the Watford family.  As dirty as we think Calipari is, he doesn't have anywhere near the mud on him that Will Wade does right now.  It gets increasingly hard to defend a player's character when they consider playing for a dirtbag like Will Wade.

@5fouls, I hear what you are saying but I can't ignore that (1) Will Wade is a cheater (tell me with a straight face he's not) and (2) Trendon is at the very least considering playing for a guy with no respect for the rules.  Say what you want about Bob Knight...and I agree he was a bully and a loudmouth, but as far as I know, Knight respected and played by the rules when it came to recruiting and running a basketball program.  I would never put Knight in the same sentence as Will Wade.  There's a giant difference between your foul-mouthed drill sergeant who insults and abuses you to battle harden you vs. a mafia don who buys people and has no respect for law & order.

Of all the schools under consideration, I understand LSU the least.

35 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I've got the utmost respect for the Watford family, but yeah...it's really hard to ignore that Trendon is considering playing for a coach with very questionable ethics/character.  That just doesn't square with everything else we know about the Watford family.  As dirty as we think Calipari is, he doesn't have anywhere near the mud on him that Will Wade does right now.  It gets increasingly hard to defend a player's character when they consider playing for a dirtbag like Will Wade.

@5fouls, I hear what you are saying but I can't ignore that (1) Will Wade is a cheater (tell me with a straight face he's not) and (2) Trendon is at the very least considering playing for a guy with no respect for the rules.  Say what you want about Bob Knight...and I agree he was a bully and a loudmouth, but as far as I know, Knight respected and played by the rules when it came to recruiting and running a basketball program.  I would never put Knight in the same sentence as Will Wade.  There's a giant difference between your foul-mouthed drill sergeant who insults and abuses you to battle harden you vs. a mafia don who buys people and has no respect for law & order.

Of all the schools under consideration, I understand LSU the least.

BK is just a big of a POS as Wade, and all the others this board cannot stand. 

17 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Have a feeling his decision, or his parent(s), may come back to bite him.....

That will be for them to own if/when it happens. I want the kid to have success certainly but his recruitment has had a negative impact on IU. That trumps everything to me. 

It's not so much that Will Wade is a cheater or whether or not Bob Knight was a bad guy at times, it would be the optics of committing to a coach/school that is literally one of the centerpieces of an ongoing scandal. This isn't a coach that got caught cheating and then served a 5-year show-cause and is trying to make a comeback. There's actual trials that involve the FBI that Wade is the centerpiece of at the moment. 

No matter what anyone's actual character and ethics are, committing to LSU right now is a bad look and will rightfully bring on some scrutiny. 

16 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It's not so much that Will Wade is a cheater or whether or not Bob Knight was a bad guy at times, it would be the optics of committing to a coach/school that is literally one of the centerpieces of an ongoing scandal. This isn't a coach that got caught cheating and then served a 5-year show-cause and is trying to make a comeback. There's actual trials that involve the FBI that Wade is the centerpiece of at the moment. 

No matter what anyone's actual character and ethics are, committing to LSU right now is a bad look and will rightfully bring on some scrutiny. 

As it should. And anyone should know better. I'd venture a guess if you walked up to any college basketball fan that peruses message boards and asked what schools would shock you if top level players said yes to them right now....LSU, Arizona would start those lists. As I've said Watford's are royalty and legacy. Will always wish the best for them...but choosing LSU right now will be met with a thunderous HUH?

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

As it should. And anyone should know better. I'd venture a guess if you walked up to any college basketball fan that peruses message boards and asked what schools would shock you if top level players said yes to them right now....LSU, Arizona would start those lists. As I've said Watford's are royalty and legacy. Will always wish the best for them...but choosing LSU right now will be met with a thunderous HUH?

I will be disappointed for sure, but I wont judge, not knowing the reason.  

10 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I will be disappointed for sure, but I wont judge, not knowing the reason.  

Curious what your reaction would be if Trendon went to LSU and before his first season was finished, they were sanctioned out of two years worth of post-season tournaments and the coach was fired.  I don't see that as wild speculation at this point.

This is NOT assuming anything unsavory about Trendon's recruitment.  Strictly off what's already out there about previous classes.

Archived