Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

30 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Curious what your reaction would be if Trendon went to LSU and before his first season was finished, they were sanctioned out of two years worth of post-season tournaments and the coach was fired.  I don't see that as wild speculation at this point.

This is NOT assuming anything unsavory about Trendon's recruitment.  Strictly off what's already out there about previous classes.

I would think the same way as I did about Eric Gordon, which is I would not hold it against the kid or the family.  You pretty much described his situation with your example.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think Trendon has his eyes set on one and done.  Just my guess as there is really no other rationalization for a good kid from a good family to put themselves in the middle of this mess right now.  At lsu he can go be the man. 

Short sighted but if the eyes are on the money, go avg 18 a game a be one and done.  18 a game isn't happening anywhere else besides maybe bama.   

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I would think the same way as I did about Eric Gordon, which is I would not hold it against the kid or the family.  You pretty much described his situation with your example.

Except there wasn't a monster cloud of suspicion over Bruce Weber's head...and he wasn't on wiretaps talking about paying players...and there wasn't the threat of an NCAA investigation hanging over his program.

..just a tad bit different than Will Wade.

4 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

As it should. And anyone should know better. I'd venture a guess if you walked up to any college basketball fan that peruses message boards and asked what schools would shock you if top level players said yes to them right now....LSU, Arizona would start those lists. As I've said Watford's are royalty and legacy. Will always wish the best for them...but choosing LSU right now will be met with a thunderous HUH?

I am not saying this about LSU so he goes to IU but no way I would let my son go there right now.  If he picks LSU to me that looks worse for Alabama that he chose a cheating program over your home town team.

10 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Except there wasn't a monster cloud of suspicion over Bruce Weber's head...and he wasn't on wiretaps talking about paying players...and there wasn't the threat of an NCAA investigation hanging over his program.

..just a tad bit different than Will Wade.

I'm comparing Wade to Sampson.  Sampson had a cloud over his head from Oklahoma.  He had recruited, or was recruiting, a roster full of undesirables around Gordon.  yet, the Gordons ultimately still decided on IU.  In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.  But, we IU fans don't hold that against the Gordons. or even imply that they made a bad choice.  Why?  what is different about LSU under Wade, or IU under Sampson?

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm comparing Wade to Sampson.  Sampson had a cloud over his head from Oklahoma.  He had recruited, or was recruiting, a roster full of undesirables around Gordon.  yet, the Gordons ultimately still decided on IU.  In hindsight, that was probably a mistake.  But, we IU fans don't hold that against the Gordons. or even imply that they made a bad choice.  Why?  what is different about LSU under Wade, or IU under Sampson?

Gordon's chose IU for the long haul....not because of Sampson. Strictly business. Once EG got to campus there's a reason he lived off campus his entire 8 months in Bloomington away from the Sampson crew. Apples and Oranges in my opinion. 

Edit-PS....texts and calls are far far different from discussing cash on a phone. JMO

In terms of Bruce Weber.  Though while at Illinois.... I did not think much of BAM. Proven by his firing.  Yet... I never suspected of him as being corrupt. Evidence by his unwillingness to break through the corruption that permeated the Chicago Public School System while he was the coach at U of I. 

To BAM's credit... I applaud him for turning things around at Kansas State.  clap, clap, clap.  Never thought you could do it.... but I have no issue in your proving me wrong.

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

FBI investigation vs 3 way phone calls is a little different.  I don't think Sampson was ever accused of paying players and had the FBI on his trail.  

Sampson also recruited alot of WANTED talent like Aarmon, Jordan Crawford.  Ellis was the number one JUCO at that time.  The class after Gordon was going to be a top 5 class.  

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Gordon's chose IU for the long haul....not because of Sampson. Strictly business. Once EG got to campus there's a reason he lived off campus his entire 8 months in Bloomington away from the Sampson crew. Apples and Oranges in my opinion. 

Edit-PS....texts and calls are far far different from discussing cash on a phone. JMO

The culture (drugs, grades, etc) under Sampson was worse than the texts and calls.  And, I don't know what 'for the long haul; means in this context.  But whatever it means, why can't the Watfords choose LSU 'for the long haul'?  

1 minute ago, milehiiu said:

In terms of Bruce Weber.  Though while at Illinois.... I did not think much of BAM. Proven by his firing.  Yet... I never suspected of him as being corrupt. Evidence by his unwillingness to break through the corruption that permeated the Chicago Public School System while he was the coach at U of I. 

To BAM's credit... I applaud him for turning things around at Kansas State.  clap, clap, clap.  Never thought you could do it.... but I have no issue in your proving me wrong.

I wasn't comparing Wade to Weber.  I was comparing him to Sampson.  So, my point is that why are the Gordons allowed to choose their son to play for Sampson and no one blinks an eye, while everyone is all up in arms about the Watfords considering having their son play for Wade.  

I am asking....What is the difference?  

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

The culture (drugs, grades, etc) under Sampson was worse than the texts and calls.  And, I don't know what 'for the long haul; means in this context.  But whatever it means, why can't the Watfords choose LSU 'for the long haul'?  

Long haul means they had 2 other kids who wanted to go to IU as well. To me kids smoking weed isn't remotely close to adults paying cash. Kids do drugs. They drink and smoke week. Adults should do better. Again apples and oranges to me.

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

I wasn't comparing Wade to Weber.  I was comparing him to Sampson.  So, my point is that why are the Gordons allowed to choose their son to play for Sampson and no one blinks an eye, while everyone is all up in arms about the Watfords considering having their son play for Wade.  

Thinking about this a little more IU was also the home town team for Gordon and the IU program was on the up when he committed.  

4 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

FBI investigation vs 3 way phone calls is a little different.  I don't think Sampson was ever accused of paying players and had the FBI on his trail.  

Sampson also recruited alot of WANTED talent like Aarmon, Jordan Crawford.  Ellis was the number one JUCO at that time.  The class after Gordon was going to be a top 5 class.  

And, Sampson was also recruiting a lot of drug users and indifferent students, which is, according to the podcast in the other thread, Tyler Zeller said thanks, but no thanks, to IU.  So, I'll ask the question directly.  Why is it okay to give the Gordons a pass for actually doing it, but be up in arms because the Watfords are considering it? 

And, Sampson was also recruiting a lot of drug users and indifferent students, which is, according to the podcast in the other thread, Tyler Zeller said thanks, but no thanks, to IU.  So, I'll ask the question directly.  Why is it okay to give the Gordons a pass for actually doing it, but be up in arms because the Watfords are considering it? 

Tyler played the year AFTER Gordon class and after Ellis was on campus.  Gordon committed in the same recruiting class as Ellis and the other kid who caused some trouble.  After the trouble, Tyler said no.  Now I might be wrong and sorry if I am, going off of memory while walking the dog.

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Because drugs and having fun for kids is far different from cash payments from adults. Just is. The phrase when we know better we should do better applies. Kids don't know better adults do.  

Just now, Seeking6 said:

Because drugs and having fun for kids is far different from cash payments from adults. Just is. The phrase when we know better we should do better applies. Kids don't know better adults do.  

Sampson WAS an adult.  He KNEW the things he was doing were wrong , and he KNEW the kids he was recruiting were not good for IU's image.

I'll be honest here guys.  I think the real difference is that IU was on the winning side of things with Gordon, but we may be on the losing side of things with Watford.  

Of course. When kids make the right call for us everything is fine. When they go elsewhere it's dirty. Right? Hahaha....just having fun. 

3 minutes ago, Fiveoutofsix said:

Tyler played the year AFTER Gordon class and after Ellis was on campus.  Gordon committed in the same recruiting class as Ellis and the other kid who caused some trouble.  After the trouble, Tyler said no.  Now I might be wrong and sorry if I am, going off of memory while walking the dog.

I think you are right on the timing, and that is a fair argument.  But, I still feel there is some hometown judgement in play here.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Add FBI. Illinois just instituted a state rule that all kids have to complete a civics course.  Does FBI not make anyone question this......

I have no problem or anything bad to say about Trendon or his family. I just think he will regret the decision to go to LSU...I think that program will implode and he will get hurt by it....hopefully if that was to happen he would be able to get an immediate transfer...in the end I still think he chooses to play with his friend Kira at Bama but maybe just maybe his brother talks him into coming here.

11 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Again, LSU runs a real risk of post-season sanctions. Aside from that, the situation with LSU is well-known ahead of the decision. I'm not sure it was with Gordon. Had he known the behavior was as bad as it was when he made his decision,  he may well have chosen differently. I doubt he went to IU planning to live the 2nd semester off-campus.

7 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Sampson WAS an adult.  He KNEW the things he was doing were wrong , and he KNEW the kids he was recruiting were not good for IU's image.

Cheating is cheating and by all accounts this became public during the season that Gordon played in.  IU is still in some ways paying a price.  And to think IU turned itself in.....Wade has the FBI using his name.  There is a slight difference there, no?  By the way money laundering is never going to be legal, phone calls is a NCAA thing and is now allowed.  

Archived