Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

1 hour ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

I really hope you're right on this. I can't stand the dribble weave. Where did you get the info that Archie wants to get away from it?

To be fair, I have very little evidence of what Archie wants to do on offense.  I couldn't see the plan this year, and made comment that at times our offense was no better than 5 basketball players, uncoached and playing together.  I'm also not a great Xs and Os guy like some of you, so take it with a grain of salt.  

So my evidence is that Archie sells recruits on getting to play with much more freedom than just their position.  This has come out in interviews where it appears the pitch is that everyone gets opportunities to pass, create, shoot, etc, outside of traditional positions.  Guys like this.  Otherwise, as I recall there are some videos of Archie coaching (this was Dayton era) where the PG/ballhandler starts the action, and the other two guys form pairs and are supposed to "work the pairs" to create opportunities.  This should mean more than just a big pushing around in the post, and Romeo posted up in the corner "creating space."  Granted this is old, and I'm likely reading waaaaay more into it than I should.

Here's the video.  It might explain why we were seeing the weave.  It is how Archie/ the PG communicates the action.

As to Justin...  He had his opportunities to show a perimeter game.  Maybe the most scathing assessment of his play is the way the B1G coaches played him.  Inside the Hall had an entire film breakdown to show that Holtmann simply opted not to guard Justin on the perimeter, and then for each of the possessions Justin used he basically wasted entirely through missed shots or bad plays.  You heard Tom Izzo's dismay that Justin suddenly developed a 3pt shot against them, so obviously he knew going in that Justin was an issue.  Even Tim Miles was overheard saying the only guys they needed to worry about were Romeo and Juwan.  And we all witnessed the wasted possessions early in games.  Total futility.

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/02/12/film-session-ohio-state-6/

OSU used the same strategy later, since it worked so well the first time:

https://www.insidethehall.com/2019/03/16/film-session-ohio-state-7/

There was a time when we were starting to see some chemistry between the bigs.  Justin timed some cuts and put himself in position for dump passes and rebounds and it worked.  Then this year that just wasn't present.  

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not sure where this goes and over the past week been kicking around whether to post or not. Here is the text I got about a week ago once again from my cryptic friend that has been right more than wrong but.....

The stars are all in alignment for a GREAT offseason for Indiana Basketball. Sit back and enjoy!!

There it is.

9 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not sure where this goes and over the past week been kicking around whether to post or not. Here is the text I got about a week ago once again from my cryptic friend that has been right more than wrong but.....

The stars are all in alignment for a GREAT offseason for Indiana Basketball. Sit back and enjoy!!

There it is.

Not trying to be a smart butt or argumentative but is this the same friend that said Brook's was a lock for IU.  Hope he is correct because IU needs to have a good off season and have hope for the future.

12 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There it is.

lets hope so...

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not trying to be a smart butt or argumentative but is this the same friend that said Brook's was a lock for IU.  Hope he is correct because IU needs to have a good off season and have hope for the future.

Yes it is. Also same one about Big Fish. As well as the 1 that nailed TJD, Franklin, Brunk and RP. Like I said I take with grain of salt but maybe others have some info that might shed some light

Yes it is. Also same one about Big Fish. As well as the 1 that nailed TJD, Franklin, Brunk and RP. Like I said I take with grain of salt but maybe others have some info that might shed some light

ever found out who the big fish was?

From some other sources I believe T WAT but we never made to big push.  We needed to get him here for a game

I'm sure IU can simulate what it would feel like to walk out on to Branch McCracken Court hearing the crowd chant "Trendon Watford <clap> <clap>.... <clap> <clap> <clap> "

16 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

I'm sure IU can simulate what it would feel like to walk out on to Branch McCracken Court hearing the crowd chant "Trendon Watford <clap> <clap>.... <clap> <clap> <clap> "

In this case there was a lot more to it. Let's out it this way from what I am getting it would have been nearly impossible for him to say no had we pushed and he was at a game with the whole package that comes with it.  We have made up ground but I think we missed a golden opportunity 

2 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

In this case there was a lot more to it. Let's out it this way from what I am getting it would have been nearly impossible for him to say no had we pushed and he was at a game with the whole package that comes with it.  We have made up ground but I think we missed a golden opportunity 

This would confirm my fears that we put our eggs in the KB basket and were left with our pants down.  Purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if Brooks Sr. might have stabbed Schilling in the back.  Unless there were promises made by the Brooks', I'd hope our staff wouldn't be so foolish.

4 minutes ago, Zuckerkorn said:

This would confirm my fears that we put our eggs in the KB basket and were left with our pants down.  Purely speculation on my part, but I wonder if Brooks Sr. might have stabbed Schilling in the back.  Unless there were promises made by the Brooks', I'd hope our staff wouldn't be so foolish.

I think you are partly right. There were a lot of eggs in that basket but in fairness to our staff we did honor the request of TW. I believe from what some are saying is that there was such a strong connection to IU and the program based on CW that had he pushed it would have happened but TW and family wanted the decision to be based on what was best for him big picture and not just based on emotion. Had we pushed and got him to Assembly Hall I think if would have been to much for him to not say yes. 

In all things you can only take people at their word and apparently some people's word does not mean as much as others. 

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I think you are partly right. There were a lot of eggs in that basket but in fairness to our staff we did honor the request of TW. I believe from what some are saying is that there was such a strong connection to IU and the program based on CW that had he pushed it would have happened but TW and family wanted the decision to be based on what was best for him big picture and not just based on emotion. Had we pushed and got him to Assembly Hall I think if would have been to much for him to not say yes. 

In all things you can only take people at their word and apparently some people's word does not mean as much as others. 

This

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

We have made up ground but I think we missed a golden opportunity 

Isnt he still coming to visit by the end of the month?

There is nothing else for this kid to see or hear about IU basketball, Bloomington, the campus.  To me, this visit will be all about feel.  Does this feel like home and does this group of guys feel like they could be family going forward.  Or I missed something and he isn't visiting now. 

4 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Isnt he still coming to visit by the end of the month?

There is nothing else for this kid to see or hear about IU basketball, Bloomington, the campus.  To me, this visit will be all about feel.  Does this feel like home and does this group of guys feel like they could be family going forward.  Or I missed something and he isn't visiting now. 

There is a HUGE difference between an empty Assembly Hall on a visit and a packed one for a conference game. Also big difference in being at Assembly Hall as the little brother of IU star CW and IU recruit TW. Also big difference in being 11 year old kid and an 18 year old about to make a very important decision. He loves IU and like I said earlier if he had made the game and let the emotion of the situation take over there is a good chance that he would have pulled the trigger on the visit.  Hope that helps. 

10 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is a HUGE difference between an empty Assembly Hall on a visit and a packed one for a conference game. Also big difference in being at Assembly Hall as the little brother of IU star CW and IU recruit TW. Also big difference in being 11 year old kid and an 18 year old about to make a very important decision. He loves IU and like I said earlier if he had made the game and let the emotion of the situation take over there is a good chance that he would have pulled the trigger on the visit.  Hope that helps. 

With all due respect, you and others have gone on repeatedly about how the Watford's won't be making an emotional decision, and yet you act like he would've committed immediately on a visit just because the crowd would be loud? I don't buy it. 

3 minutes ago, goonaha said:

With all due respect, you and others have gone on repeatedly about how the Watford's won't be making an emotional decision, and yet you act like he would've committed immediately on a visit just because the crowd would be loud? I don't buy it. 

Have you ever heard of anyone saying a want to go to some car lots and take a look at some cars but not in any hurry to buy and BOOM you see THE car and you leave in the car (EMOTIONSL/IMPULSE BUY) only to have maybe some buyers regret down the road.  Not saying the buyers regret would have happened but the family wanted to be sure it was TW's decision and not something forced. I know this may not may sense but IU has always been in the discussion because what is already known and loved by the WHOLE family. All the other schools have lots of unknown. Before picking IU due diligence was needed, and trying to keep emotions out of the decision. With no game and all the other stuff that goes with it. This will be a decision based on facts, the fit etc...

45 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Have you ever heard of anyone saying a want to go to some car lots and take a look at some cars but not in any hurry to buy and BOOM you see THE car and you leave in the car (EMOTIONSL/IMPULSE BUY) only to have maybe some buyers regret down the road.  Not saying the buyers regret would have happened but the family wanted to be sure it was TW's decision and not something forced. I know this may not may sense but IU has always been in the discussion because what is already known and loved by the WHOLE family. All the other schools have lots of unknown. Before picking IU due diligence was needed, and trying to keep emotions out of the decision. With no game and all the other stuff that goes with it. This will be a decision based on facts, the fit etc...

And I say after all these years and other visits, he's coming to visit, knowing all it has to offer, how loud the crowd can get, the chill down you back, all those memories as a little kid and he's coming to ask himself.  Is this home?  Or as you said, fit.  

13 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

And I say after all these years and other visit, he's coming to visit, knowing all it has to offer, how pound the crowd can get, the chill down you back, all those memories as a little kid and he's coming to ask himself.  Is this home?  Or as you said, fit.  

Very well said

Archived