Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

7 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

I do. It’s been stated regularly on some other boards as well. 

It’s also very easy to understand and only requires a little thinking. 

Have a good day sir. I won’t take up anymore of your time. 

All I am saying is that the poster I responded to yesterday was excited until he saw your post and all I said was don't take any ones word as gospel and you seem to personally.  I am not even saying I think Watford will come here but to me if we had no shot then Archie would have stopped recruiting him long ago.  I also feel like that the Watford family would not be the kind of people who would lead IU on if they knew we had no shot with him.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Scott makes a very valid point actually. I've been wondering the same thing.

It's been puzzling me too. The only thing that I came up with was a poker analogy where the action gets to a guy at the table and he doesn't know if he wants to call, fold, or raise and he can't work it out so he's taking a moment....it's annoying because everyone at the table knows he's folding but he's not quite there yet internally. 

I feel for the Watford kid too...how do you finalize a choice when multiple options are the 'correct answer'?

This all goes back too the ..support the players or recruits who want to be here and to the ones that dont,well have a good day and enjoy your career where ever it may be...there is more then one "fish" in the lake...CoachSS the info you provide whether its right or wrong is all ways better then the info I can get anywhere else..Thanks for anything you can provide. 

31 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

All I am saying is that the poster I responded to yesterday was excited until he saw your post and all I said was don't take any ones word as gospel and you seem to personally.  I am not even saying I think Watford will come here but to me if we had no shot then Archie would have stopped recruiting him long ago.  I also feel like that the Watford family would not be the kind of people who would lead IU on if they knew we had no shot with him.

Scott, this is a fair post. If you stayed things in this manner, it would be good conversation.

But you tone is coming off as condescending.and combative.

If coach is willing to share some insight, right or wrong, he shouldnt be put on trial.

Asking questions is fair. Interrogating and demanding is not.

No rules broken. I am posting this as a member, like you. Not a mod enforcing any rule.

This is my take from talking with different people around the family and Trendon's team. He was strongly leaning toward Memphis and that almost seemed done. Then Will Wade made a huge push and had LSU in a very good position.  Both programs had good relationships with the family. Alabama was never a legit winner due to Avery. Family was very concerned Avery couldn't develop Trendon,  or anyone for that matter.

Then the Wade drama drops.  There's a huge cloud still hanging over him, especially for someone that isn't OAD. The optics would also look really bad. Bama also gets a new coach, and several potential transfers return. Still hear nothing about Bama being a legit option,  but no idea what magic the new coach has up his sleave.

I liked the analogy of a small crack both sides wanted to investigate related to IU.  How about, a confused mine always says "no". Memphis with Penny and Miller is the constant, but absent James Wiseman, Trendon could potentially get "stuck" in the post there.  Wiseman is OAD and can get injured (Garland) , or always be in foul trouble.  IU now has Davis, Brunk, and TJD.  The Watfords have also observed the freedom and usage of Juwan. No chance Trendon is forced to play out of position, or guard seasoned bigs he can't check as a freshman. 

I still think it ends up being Memphis, as of now. Just my personal opinion.  But if Trendon has made a final decision,  he's done an unusually impressive job of keeping it from spreading in the community.  

11 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Scott, this is a fair post. If you stayed things in this manner, it would be good conversation.

But you tone is coming off as condescending.and combative.

If coach is willing to share some insight, right or wrong, he shouldnt be put on trial.

Asking questions is fair. Interrogating and demanding is not.

No rules broken. I am posting this as a member, like you. Not a mod enforcing any rule.

Thanks

1 hour ago, HoosierSadaseci said:

What kind of insider runs into hiding because they can't take criticism, especially when they use the term as "lock", and end up being wrong?

If you're going to share the info, you need to be willing to accept the praise and the criticism that comes with being right or wrong.

I don't get this attitude at all.  Why do we feel the need to be critical of incorrect predictions and drive insiders away?  Things change.  Minds change.  Why can't we simply be satisfied to have the Intel and take it for what it is?  Decisions are never a lock before they are signed on the dotted line.

I've heard two very different versions of what may have caused the chemistry issues last season, so one of them is likely very wrong.  Both sources were supposedly players and/or managers. I may never know what the real truth is and that's OK. I appreciate the information I got even if it turns out wrong. 

If an "insider" gets it wrong, why dogpile on him? What joy do we get from that and why are we not content to simply track an insider's accuracy level and judge new information through that lense?

Be critical and call them thin-skinned if you want, but when they're gone, they're gone. What does that gain us all?

I was wrong about a player visit (I think...still hasn't happened) and got called out by a few members over it. I took my medicine even though I still don't get why it's necessary to keep score of how much people get right or wrong when most of us are simply guessing or giving opinions.  I seriously considered taking a break from the forum at that point, but I guess I'm an addict. 

My advice? Keep score mentally and you'll know who to pay attention to. IMO calling people out when their information is imperfect is unnecessary and discourages those folks from sharing in the future. Who knows what we miss out on as a result.

15 minutes ago, rico said:

I was an insider once.  Not only was he my team mate but a close friend.  And I was wrong about his college choice.  True story.

My closest situation to recruiting information was Cliff Alexander. I kept it off the boards because how many levels of shady involved. Even though I loved how it turned out. He was Illinois bound until last minute. In retrospect it turned out well for me because apparently my credibility would be zero because some bag man met the asking price in the last hour and recruit's family changed their mind. 

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

My closest situation to recruiting information was Cliff Alexander. I kept it off the boards because how many levels of shady involved. Even though I loved how it turned out. He was Illinois bound until last minute. In retrospect it turned out well for me because apparently my credibility would be zero because some bag man met the asking price in the last hour and recruit's family changed their mind. 

Oh ****!!! That fake out on the hat wasn't a troll job? That gave me so much joy and laughter when he did that. Still cackling at that now.

2 hours ago, CoachSS said:

I know someone who is very, very, very connected to the IUBB scene. He shared something that was going on (at the time) last year. Something changed. People mocked him for it. He doesn’t post here anymore. It isn’t because he doesn’t have thick skin. There just isn’t anything in it for him. 

This is why people who know what is going on leave or become super quiet over time. Because people who hide behind fake names and firewalls tell them they are wrong or don’t know what they are talking about. 

It’s especially rich when the guy I am referring too has flown privately with members of the coaching staff. 

Just passing along. 

I'll add to this. Situations are fluid in life. Situations are infinitely more fluid when you are 18 and you have parents, siblings, friends, teachers, coaches, analysts telling you different pieces of information daily. The info you have one week might be 100% accurate, but 18 year old changes mind 2 weeks later and now it makes you look like you have bad info or bad sources. No one bats 100. Not even parents of these kids or the coaches who receive "word" straight from the players mouths. I could add a few more paragraphs to this, but I'll just leave it at that. 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Where did I say you shouldn't be taken seriously but just saying that your word should not be taken as gospel.  I guess the reason you did not answer the question is that you don't have the answer for that question.

Nobody is doing that lol. Get over yourself

Some of you guys have ruined, currently ruining or will ruin this message board. 

The insider stuff used to be as abundant, if not more on this board than any of the pay sites. 

It's now fairly miniscule due to the high and mighty uninformed running off the people with real information. And I don't blame them for not sharing anymore. Why subject yourself to ridicule?

Just enjoy the information brought to you...for free...or ignore it and go about your day.

24 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I don’t get the hate when an insider tells us what we don’t want to hear. We’ve been a long shot for awhile now. It’s not a big surprise.

.....Right?.....I was thinking the same thing. We all get excited when we hear what we want to hear, .....especially from specific insiders. When  "insider news" is shared, especially pro IU, most, if not all on hear listen and hold true. However, when the same insiders share info not in IU's favor, we get frustrated and second guess. We are human. I speak for everyone on here,.......we IU fans long for any morsel of positive news in regards to winning over a desired recruit. CoachSS is only doing what he, as a creditable insider can do,....share exactly what he is hearing. Sometimes it's not what we want to hear. Thanks for what you do for this forum CoachSS.

9 minutes ago, cohete15 said:

Some of you guys have ruined, currently ruining or will ruin this message board. 

The insider stuff used to be as abundant, if not more on this board than any of the pay sites. 

It's now fairly miniscule due to the high and mighty uninformed running off the people with real information. And I don't blame them for not sharing anymore. Why subject yourself to ridicule?

Just enjoy the information brought to you...for free...or ignore it and go about your day.

Bingo!

I once told a poster not to lose his marbles after a Coach post about TW months ago. I didn’t intend for it to come at an attack towards him, more to the poster who thought doom was incoming bc of the news Coach brought. TW has pushed his decision time. We may be back in the running and out a dozen more times. I guess I just don’t get as high or low when things swing either direction. 

As others stated. I love the insight. Who doesn’t? We’d all love to be in a position to get information so close to the program. One thing to keep in mind with each bit of news that comes in too, is it on the coaching staff/IU side or the recruit side. Each side may view things differently. 

Just now, Brass Cannon said:

I do think the insiders were a little too “Lock of the Week” for brooks. I believe one was even telling people that expressed concerns to not worry. 

But overall insider info is and will always be a toss up. I believe some more than other but take it all with a grain of salt. 

Take it as a grain of salt,take it as set in stone...its still fun to hear and make for conversation...it cant be a rumor if its not told..😂

30 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Bingo!

I think the entire problem stems from speaking in absolutes.  As a lawyer I can tell you that's almost always a bad idea.  Instead of saying "lock" or "done deal" just say "looks good" or "I like our chances".  I doubt there would ever be any criticism if so.  I personally love hearing inside info even if it later turns out to be false.

1 hour ago, CapnRon said:

I have no problem with anyone who has some info but why is it if they get called out it is like I will just take my ball and go home.  All season we see people come on here and second guess coaches and players and even AD's but if anyone wants to second guess the insiders it is frowned upon.

Archived