Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

2 hours ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Calipari and Kentucky are clean by that logic too.  

I think it is clear that Coach K and Duke jumped into the same game as Calipari did.  Even with Duke being a good program, there was a very noticeable uptick in their recruiting a few years ago in response to the Calipari model.  You can also see that Kentucky slightly dipped around that time as well.  

So yeah, Coach K and Duke are not paying players just like Wooden and UCLA were not.  No, they got Nike to do that for them much like Gilbert did for UCLA.  Duke has been shady since at least Magette and Boozer.

Calipari left 2 programs behind with vacated FF’s and there has been all kinds of smoke around him and UK as to eligibility issues (but not paying players), see Bledsoe et al. No, not the same in any way. You say shady, but again you come forward with no evidence at all of paying players, which is what this is about.

i wouldn’t doubt that K has pushed the envelope in recruiting and there have been a few instances over the years where there have been some issues there - but again this discussion is about  playing players. No evidence. 

Now back to self - policing myself, please start a new thread if you guys want to continue the paying players discussion thx 

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

What's the information? I'm not trying to be difficult here, but I do not buy into conspiracy theories and speculation that a program like Duke is paying players. I think that is, at best, an incredible stretch of the imagination. Again, I am FAR from a Duke fan, can't stand Duke and the jackamole that Coach K has become, but they flat out do not need to pay players and there is just no evidence of any sort that I've seen that Duke actually pays players. Really, that's an incredible stretch. 

Now the Nike thing is a different animal. Duke, of course, has not been caught up in that scandal, and rest assured the prosecutors would have put on testimony that implicated Duke if they had found any, but that's always possible, imo, given the number high level Nike officers who were involved, and prosecuted, and that number of schools that were implicated, KU being right there. But that's not Duke paying players.

Don't you think it was strange that Duke all of a sudden started getting all of these one and done players after they started to struggle a couple of years.  They saw what UK was doing and decided to get into the one and done players and a lot of them goes to the highest bidder.  Not saying Duke is actually paying the players but the shoe companies are and are sending them to Duke.

15 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So you think Zion turned down the money from KU to go to Duke for free.  Also how do you explain the huge house that Zion's family moved into after he went to Duke.

Not a mortgage officer or anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if Zion's parents wanted this house and the bank said, "They don't have the money for the house, but Zion is going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  In a year, this house will be paid in full.  Let's collect on the interest for a year with the understanding we may or may not receive any payments for a year."  Plus, I'm sure that Duke has alumni relationships at the local banks to assist with getting a loan under such special circumstances.  

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Don't you think it was strange that Duke all of a sudden started getting all of these one and done players after they started to struggle a couple of years.  They saw what UK was doing and decided to get into the one and done players and a lot of them goes to the highest bidder.  Not saying Duke is actually paying the players but the shoe companies are and are sending them to Duke.

I have a hard time believing that Adidas was bidding against itself. 

2 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Not only bidding against themselves, but then we're supposed to believe they lost!?!?

I know, right? To defend Duke, you have to use Kentucky fan logic from several years ago. We don't have to pay players, they just want to come here because it is the "in" thing to do. Even some Kentucky fans admit they are being outbid by Duke now.

27 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

Not a mortgage officer or anything, but I wouldn't be shocked if Zion's parents wanted this house and the bank said, "They don't have the money for the house, but Zion is going to be the #1 pick in the draft.  In a year, this house will be paid in full.  Let's collect on the interest for a year with the understanding we may or may not receive any payments for a year."  Plus, I'm sure that Duke has alumni relationships at the local banks to assist with getting a loan under such special circumstances.  

I know things like that happen. The big question is what if after this summer they no longer live in that house. LeBron drove a Hummer in high school because the car lot knew it would be a safe loan.  I would be shocked if they continue to live there.

49 minutes ago, HoosierCPA said:

I doubt a bank has that kind of flexibility with a mortgage but I imagine a landlord would. Or they could have secured a predatory loan somewhere to pay for the house 

I've been trying to find the interview with Sheldon Williams father where he is discussing his six figure "consulting" job Duke arranged, where he laughingly admits he has no clue what a consultant even does. Unless we have a photo or video of a cash exchange, we'll never be able to "prove" it. But much like Anthony Davis, Cam Newton, or Zion, losing bidders generally talk;  and word spreads quickly. 

Why brazenly put a recruit's unqualified father on staff, unnecessarily raising red flags? Just have wealthy alumni arrange "jobs", loans, or mortgages for family members. I don't like it one bit, but it's the reality we live in.

25 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

I doubt a bank has that kind of flexibility with a mortgage but I imagine a landlord would. Or they could have secured a predatory loan somewhere to pay for the house 

A Kansas assistant was on tape talking with a rep from Adidas. The Adidas rep says that Zion and his family wanted "occupational opportunities", cash, and living arrangements. It was denied into evidence so we don't really know the full context. I find it rather odd that an Adidas rep is on tape saying his family wanted a house and Zion chose Duke (Nike) where his family lives in a million dollar home. I thought I saw somewhere that the house is owned by a prominent Duke grad, but I can't find it. 

6 minutes ago, GoshenFan84 said:

A Kansas assistant was on tape talking with a rep from Adidas. The Adidas rep says that Zion and his family wanted "occupational opportunities", cash, and living arrangements. It was denied into evidence so we don't really know the full context. I find it rather odd that an Adidas rep is on tape saying his family wanted a house and Zion chose Duke (Nike) where his family lives in a million dollar home. I thought I saw somewhere that the house is owned by a prominent Duke grad, but I can't find it. 

Good time to revisit the Reggie Bush situation. USC didn’t directly provide the house or car, but got nailed for looking the other way. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/718845-usc-and-the-reggie-bush-infractions-the-cliffs-notes-version

30 minutes ago, Brass Cannon said:

Or possibly a rent to own situation. Either way, I'd imagine it's not as risky as one may think for a bank to do this. The biggest risk would be if Zion were to get injured, but somebody at his caliber would have a pretty hefty insurance policy for this.

He's good - he and his family were going to get these advantages no matter what school he decided to attend. If I was a mortgage officer/bank (affiliated with Duke or not), would I want Zion as a future customer? You bet your a** I would.  

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I know things like that happen. The big question is what if after this summer they no longer live in that house. LeBron drove a Hummer in high school because the car lot knew it would be a safe loan.  I would be shocked if they continue to live there.

One of the newest five stars family when be moving in shortly

5 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Even your fights are getting hijacked? I think You are cursed!!!

That is why I need to catch that newt, I need it's eyes for my "uncursed" potion.  Wait, I still need a fang from a vampire bat.  Geez, gonna be a long day.

38 minutes ago, rico said:

Somewhere in here is some Watford info....there has to be.

.....Right?

Good grief......There as got to be someone, somewhere that knows something, ....anything about Watford. Even if it is a small morsel of info from Milehiiu below!

..unlike thewinds blowing out of Colorado before De'Ron Davis committed to IU.... thewinds for TW are not nearly as strong. Shall we say...swirling ?

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

So has anyone heard if Watford is still planning to visit IU and any idea when he will announce his choice.  To me if I had to put money on it I would probably go with Memphis or LSU

I have been searching for something Scott regarding Baby Wat.  Nada on my end.

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

.....Right?

Good grief......There as got to be someone, somewhere that knows something, ....anything about Watford. Even if it is a small morsel of info from Milehiiu below!

..unlike thewinds blowing out of Colorado before De'Ron Davis committed to IU.... thewinds for TW are not nearly as strong. Shall we say...swirling ?

Expect an updated announcement date, any day now. 

Archived