Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, ColtsIUDomer said:

Can we assume Georgia will also be in the mix?

Why's that???  FCTC didnt recruit him at IU.  The place where his brother made one of the most famous plays of the decade and his family spent countless time over 4 years. 

Coach Crean spent the majority of his speech at a recent Birmingham Tip-off club event speaking very highly of Trendon and the Watford family. They were all there, and it was described to me as speakly almost directly to them. No doubt he's making an effort to be involved, just don't know how receptive they'll be. 

On another note, I hope my dog rests up today. He doesn't know it yet, but I'll be walking him around the neighborhood tomorrow while wearing my candystripe pants most of tomorrow when they visit Trendon. He has an Indiana Hoosiers leash, so we are ready to roll!

On 4/5/2018 at 12:40 PM, FKIM01 said:

I'd be very surprised given Crean's lack of effort with Trendon while at IU.  Trust me, the family noticed.

Yaah.  Though I like Crean.... it would be a way to stick it to Tom, if Trendon commits to IU.  Since Crean seemed to show no interest. 

I wouldn’t go to Georgia if I were Trendon simply because he didn’t get CWat to the league...not to mention he’s jumping in now after showing no interest. Creans crazy though. It rubs off on some families + it’s close. I wouldn’t completely rule them out at all but 🤷🏼‍♂️

Obviously playing time, facilities, player development is always big in recruiting but the connection between a player and a coach can never be underestimated. One thing I thought of this morning if I'm Archie....is I hammer home to Trendon that he knows exactly what it's like to have an older brother who played at a very high level before him.

My older sibling didn't play sports but I have to believe that pressure to either compete on same level or surpass that level is a very real pressure. I would think Archie can relate to Trendon in that way very few can.

Just a random thought. 

9 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

So now that it's clear that IU is "all in" on Watford, does anyone know why they haven't been watching /contacting him as much as other out of state guys like Carton? Are they feeling that getting Brooks may be tougher than they thought? 

I think that’s a very fair assumption to make. I’m a huge fan of Archie’s allin approach and seemingly willingness to move on once the vibe isn’t right. We’re competing against 10-15 very good to great programs for top players so hard line stances make a whole lot of sense to me.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

So now that it's clear that IU is "all in" on Watford, does anyone know why they haven't been watching /contacting him as much as other out of state guys like Carton? Are they feeling that getting Brooks may be tougher than they thought? 

Just my opinion, but Watford > Brooks.  

You recruit your home turf hard, but if an in-state player is not a good fit, for whatever reason, and you can get an equally talented player from out of state that has strong IU roots, I think it makes a lot of sense to look at which would be the best fit.  And, if Watford is a better fit, you focus your attention in that direction.

6 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

If i were to choose I'd want Brooks over Watford. If we are all in on Watford, I won't complain. Pretty good problem to have.

Whys that? I’ve heard that Brooks is a me first type player (got that text from a friend this morning) and I believe I’ve read other somewhat negative things towards him in other places. I haven’t followed the player so I can’t say. 

15 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

I think that’s a very fair assumption to make. I’m a huge fan of Archie’s allin approach and seemingly willingness to move on once the vibe isn’t right. We’re competing against 10-15 very good to great programs for top players so hard line stances make a whole lot of sense to me.

I'm just glad to hear that the staff will be prioritizing both Watford & Brooks. I feel like we had a quick burst of commitments in this year's class as a result of recruiting a bunch of kids who play the same position. It seemed that Damezi committed earlier because Hunter had just done so and he didn't want Aaron Henry to beat him to it. I'm hoping that either Brooks/ Watford commits to us earlier because they don't want to lose that open spot to each other.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

I'm just glad to hear that the staff will be prioritizing both Watford & Brooks. I feel like we had a quick burst of commitments in this year's class as a result of recruiting a bunch of kids who play the same position. It seemed that Damezi committed earlier because Hunter had just done so and he didn't want Aaron Henry to beat him to it. I'm hoping that either Brooks/ Watford commits to us earlier because they don't want to lose that open spot to each other.

Oh ok, you’re thinking we’re prioritizing both. I kind of had the vibe that this visit and those quotes made it sound like he had switched his attention towards Trendon and off of Brooks. I read into that with the ‘all-in + full tilt’ comments. 

Maybe you can clear this up for me....

The plan is to go hard for Trace and then land of one of Trendon/Brooks? How many ‘core players’ will that class have open?

55 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Just my opinion, but Watford > Brooks.  

You recruit your home turf hard, but if an in-state player is not a good fit, for whatever reason, and you can get an equally talented player from out of state that has strong IU roots, I think it makes a lot of sense to look at which would be the best fit.  And, if Watford is a better fit, you focus your attention in that direction.

I haven't seen Watford play but I have seen Brooks a couple of times and came away unimpressed. If all things are equal I would take the Indiana kid but if a layer from out of state is better then I take the better player.

9 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Oh ok, you’re thinking we’re prioritizing both. I kind of had the vibe that this visit and those quotes made it sound like he had switched his attention towards Trendon and off of Brooks. I read into that with the ‘all-in + full tilt’ comments. 

Maybe you can clear this up for me....

The plan is to go hard for Trace and then land of one of Trendon/Brooks? How many ‘core players’ will that class have open?

I'm no insider, it's just my opinion. Considering the relationship that Schilling has with Brooks Sr. and the fact that Keion is a top in-state recruit, I'd doubt that the staff wouldn't continue to also be "all in" on him as well. Obviously, recruiting is so fluid and competitors like MSU might cool on Brooks if they get other guys to commit first. Since we already have Smith, Hunter, Anderson at SF, I'd assume the staff is only looking for one of Brooks/Watford to commit. I'm sure they will continue to recruit both heavily in the hopes that one of them will come.

Based on scholarship #'s, we're looking at likely 2-3 openings (Juwan is graduating next season and right now we have 2 scholarships open without Romeo's commitment/a grad transfer). Seems IMO that the staff is hoping for a class of TJD, Brooks/Watford, and Carton.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

Whys that? I’ve heard that Brooks is a me first type player (got that text from a friend this morning) and I believe I’ve read other somewhat negative things towards him in other places. I haven’t followed the player so I can’t say. 

IU has lacked a guy who is viewed as the "go to " guy for some time. I would rather have a guy confident enough in himself that he's willing to put that pressure on himself. If he's good enough to be that guy at the next level, he'll be star. If not, he'll learn that soon enough.

Imo, having the trait first is much more advantageous than asking a kid who has not been in the position to step up and become the go-to guy

Archived