Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

47 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess the question for me is can we take both Watford and Brooks?  TJD seems a near lock and it's been speculated that he and Brooks want to play together.  We also have Smith and Hunter who should both be very good.  I'm just not sure there's enough minutes for them all.

And this is why we need another Tim Priller!

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Ok, so I promised a speculative piece on why we got the second visit with Trendon.  Let me know what you think.  As I think someone else said, it is hard to imagine anything negative about it.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-visits-trendon-again-is-archie-going-to-watford-for-the-win/

Thanks, I really would love to have another Watford at IU.

12 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess the question for me is can we take both Watford and Brooks?  TJD seems a near lock and it's been speculated that he and Brooks want to play together.  We also have Smith and Hunter who should both be very good.  I'm just not sure there's enough minutes for them all.

From what I've seen out of Archie, 2 and 3 position are pretty interchangeable and so is 4 and 5. 

I think Brooks and Hunter fall into the 2 or 3 bucket and the other three are 4 and 5. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

From what I've seen out of Archie, 2 and 3 position are pretty interchangeable and so is 4 and 5. 

I think Brooks and Hunter fall into the 2 or 3 bucket and the other three are 4 and 5. 

We could be something like 

TJD, Smith, Hunter, Green, RP 

Bench of Watford, Brooks, Anderson, Forrester, Durham, and *Carton (hopefully) 

Incredibly talented 

31 minutes ago, btownqb said:

We could be something like 

TJD, Smith, Hunter, Green, RP 

Bench of Watford, Brooks, Anderson, Forrester, Durham, and *Carton (hopefully) 

Incredibly talented 

Totally agree. Could even see Hunter at the 2 and Brooks at the 3 if Green doesn't get more consistent. 

13 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Totally agree. Could even see Hunter at the 2 and Brooks at the 3 if Green doesn't get more consistent. 

Brooks needs to develop more of a perimeter game by then. As in range on his jumper, but the potential is there for sure. 

25 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

But would Brooks and Watford be happy coming off the bench?  Both are 5 stars and could immediately start at a lot of good programs. 

Good question. I doubt most of these guys are coming to ride the bench.  My guess is, we won't get all the guys on our wish list. It's just going to be too crowded.

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Good question. I doubt most of these guys are coming to ride the bench.  My guess is, we won't get all the guys on our wish list. It's just going to be too crowded.

I'm thinking TJD, Brooks or Watford, and a guard. That would be a pretty damn good class.  And of course if Hurt wanted to come I'm sure Archie would make room for a 4th.

34 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Good question... but a better question.. do they want to win?

I guess the answer is that they probably want both.  Romeo for example could go to Kansas next season and have a better chance to win.  At IU he can be the man and still have a chance to win.   As for Watford he isn't winning at Bama.  But sitting on the bench probably isn't a preference for any 5 star.

37 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I guess the answer is that they probably want both.  Romeo for example could go to Kansas next season and have a better chance to win.  At IU he can be the man and still have a chance to win.   As for Watford he isn't winning at Bama.  But sitting on the bench probably isn't a preference for any 5 star.

Why is he sitting on the bench just because he isn't starting? 

8 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Why is he sitting on the bench just because he isn't starting? 

I didn't mean to imply that.  My guess is, these talented kids will still get the minutes even if they are off the bench.  I'm guessing most of them, if given the choice, would choose more minutes over starting.  It just gets really tough to keep everyone happy when your team is uber-talented.  Archie has even alluded to that before when he talked about not necessarily using all of the scholarships.  Yet, here we are...on the edge of a scholarship crunch on 2019.

My take on starting vs coming off the bench.  As long as I was getting as much PT or more than a starter it would not matter to me.  I would have confidence in my abilities and my coach to know that I am able to contribute.  If coach thinks I can contribute more to the team's success, coming off the bench... I am all in.  It's coach's call. And I would not even be here, if I did not believe in my coach.

42 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

My take on starting vs coming off the bench.  As long as I was getting as much PT or more than a starter it would not matter to me.  I would have confidence in my abilities and my coach to know that I am able to contribute.  If coach thinks I can contribute more to the team's success, coming off the bench... I am all in.  It's coach's call. And I would not even be here, if I did not believe in my coach.

But how many guys come off the bench and play 25 minutes?

1 hour ago, IUwins0708 said:

Duke; Kentucky, Kansas, etc. do it every year. Why not us? Bring them all.

It’s very possible. I’ve been *rightfully* pigeonholed into a negative poster but I also said that we could become the Kansas of the B1G if things start falling into place. If it’s going to happen it almost has to happen starting in ‘19. I don’t have much respect for the big so why isn’t it possible to dominate it? 

Per HPBlueChip on Twitter, “Don't celebrate yet Hoosier fans but a source close to the IU program told me today that IU has the inside track with three 5* juniors: 6-9 Matthew Hurt (MN), 6-9 Trayce Jackson-Davis (IN) & 6-8 Trendon Watford (AL)”

Great to hear we are in the mix for such exceptional talent! On Arch to determine which guys have the personality to buy-in to the program. 

Full transparency, my heads spinning with this 2019 stuff. The watford stuff, the in state kids, the 5 stars offered, the several guards offered, our current roster, incoming freshman, how all the pieces would fit. I’m(I being a regular joe shmo) worried about the amount of front court players we have and are actively recruiting. But what I do know is that Archie, Schilling, Bruiser and Ostrom have a well developed plan and I have the most trust in these guys to execute. 

25 minutes ago, Max said:

Full transparency, my heads spinning with this 2019 stuff. The watford stuff, the in state kids, the 5 stars offered, the several guards offered, our current roster, incoming freshman, how all the pieces would fit. I’m(I being a regular joe shmo) worried about the amount of front court players we have and are actively recruiting. But what I do know is that Archie, Schilling, Bruiser and Ostrom have a well developed plan and I have the most trust in these guys to execute. 

It’s almost impossible to win one of these things. Let’s just stack up as many superiorly talented players as we can and not over think it. Fill in the pieces as best as we can as we go along but don’t  force it...No reason to sign average players and trap ourselves in for 4 years bc we think we have to fill in whatever specific need. That’s a recipe for sustained mediocrity imo. 

I really think this staff gets it....dream big or be bang average like every other big 10 team.

Archived