Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, madmax said:

Anyone else feel like Brooks is probably the lowest probability?

Yes. Too bad...want him too, but where do you put everyone?  I suspect we'll start losing recruits maybe because things are too crowded.

8 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yes. Too bad...want him too, but where do you put everyone?  I suspect we'll start losing recruits maybe because things are too crowded.

I'll say this, having the "lowest probability" of landing a 5-star being like a 30-40% i'll take any day. Keion is still getting a ton of offers and it seems he is taking his time to figure everything out. I'll be interested in hearing his reaction on Romeo. Also, considering that Mich St and UK are his other top schools, he seems interested in playing with other elite players. Landing TJD and Watford first may convince him that the home state squad has all the elite players he needs.

27 minutes ago, madmax said:

Anyone else feel like Brooks is probably the lowest probability?

I don't,  brooks was the first 2019 recruit archie visited and brooks has said good things about I U nothing I have seen or read tells me any different. I for one would much prefer brooks over watford. I will go so far to guess that brooks and tjd are the next to commit

I agree with @madmax (mad version of myself)

i loved seeing the TJD to brooks combos over the last week or so but sadly, I don’t think we have room for brooks TJD watford and a guard(which is a must have for 2019)

Last take: I think we'll prioritize watford over brooks for legacy

5 minutes ago, Cutter said:

I don't,  brooks was the first 2019 recruit archie visited and brooks has said good things about I U nothing I have seen or read tells me any different. I for one would much prefer brooks over watford. I will go so far to guess that brooks and tjd are the next to commit

Like em both but I personally prefer Watford. Brooks has to answer a character question for me and that is a big issue for me.  If I can get comfortable that his mid-season dust-up with his coach was at least mostly on the coach, I'm all-in.

I think if we want him we’ll get him and we obviously do. I’m not in it’s a lock mode but I’m not all worried about missing out. I see your point @FKIM01 but I’d like to have one or two players on the roster with a little edge. Not the bad character type of edge but someone capable of getting close to a Tech on RARE occasions. 

In a vacuum I want brooks but I’ll be happy with T-Wat for the legacy factor.

1 hour ago, ADegenerate said:

I think if we want him we’ll get him and we obviously do. I’m not in it’s a lock mode but I’m not all worried about missing out. I see your point @FKIM01 but I’d like to have one or two players on the roster with a little edge. Not the bad character type of edge but someone capable of getting close to a Tech on RARE occasions. 

In a vacuum I want brooks but I’ll be happy with T-Wat for the legacy factor.

I don't mind a little fire and emotion from some of our players.  I just don't want a Kelsey Barlow, Marquis Teague or Trey Lyles type personality in the locker room.  I don't think Brooks is that kind of young man and I'm sure the staff has a handle on the character of our recruits.  I guess all I'm trying to say is, don't be shocked if there is something beyond raw talent and athleticism that a coach sees which causes him to prioritize recruits in a way we might not understand.  Here are the factors I would consider in recruits if it were my decision on who to offer:

• Talent
  • Athleticism
  • Character
  • Intelligence
  • Work ethic

...and not necessarily in that order.  If a recruit is insanely talented and athletic, but is dumb as a box of rocks and a douchbag, I don't want him.  You and I can't always see those factors and rest assured, recruits are usually on their best behavior in front of a camera, but sometimes, a staff may offer one guy and not another and just based on the mix tapes, we may not understand the decision.  Based on what I've seen since, I am personally glad that IU did not get Teague or Lyles (or Lyle for that matter). OTOH, while Victor had to hone his talent at IU, he had the other four factors in spades.  Talent can be developed, but a douchebag is forever (not always but too often).

...and that's why I love Trendon Watford...I know the family and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of his character.  He may not be uber athletic, but he's very talented and by all accounts I've read, a good kid from a great family that loves IU.  That's hard to turn down if he wants to come.

Maybe I missed some information on Brooks...but I'd love to have him here. Let's not get things twisted. He's a 5 star in state prospect who has openly said...why would I go elsewhere when I can do it at home? Sorry. Give me those guys.

Someone will have to make the call. Musical chairs time but part of me still thinks we could take all 3 of Watford, Brooks, and TJD. 

4 minutes ago, btownqb said:

What's really nice about CWat is he was an IU guy and not just a Crean guy. Good for him. Same with Rob Johnson last night congratulating Romeo. It's a family. 

Not to mention, from the article, "Christian has a ton of influence on Trendon’s success thus far, and we as a family are leaning on him for guidance and resources," Ernest said. "I know he will do his due diligence in researching the 'best fit' for his little brother on all fronts. He is our sounding board."

I think we all know which school Christian is telling his little bro is the "best fit" for him. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Maybe I missed some information on Brooks...but I'd love to have him here. Let's not get things twisted. He's a 5 star in state prospect who has openly said...why would I go elsewhere when I can do it at home? Sorry. Give me those guys.

Someone will have to make the call. Musical chairs time but part of me still thinks we could take all 3 of Watford, Brooks, and TJD. 

What about Hurt? 

4 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not that it matters or means anything but does anyone know if CWat congratulated Romeo. Not a big deal but I like seeing the former players showing their support. Maybe that happens at other places IDK I don't follow it but i do think that makes us special.

CWat still rocking an IU hoodie, on his birthday.... just a couple of days ago :

Db4BtUYWsAAO8Kk.jpg

5 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Not that it matters or means anything but does anyone know if CWat congratulated Romeo. Not a big deal but I like seeing the former players showing their support. Maybe that happens at other places IDK I don't follow it but i do think that makes us special.

He didn't tweet a congratulations to him specifically, but he did retweet a congrats from Tyra Buss.  Here is his twitter https://twitter.com/Cwat205?lang=en

53 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I don't mind a little fire and emotion from some of our players.  I just don't want a Kelsey Barlow, Marquis Teague or Trey Lyles type personality in the locker room.  I don't think Brooks is that kind of young man and I'm sure the staff has a handle on the character of our recruits.  I guess all I'm trying to say is, don't be shocked if there is something beyond raw talent and athleticism that a coach sees which causes him to prioritize recruits in a way we might not understand.  Here are the factors I would consider in recruits if it were my decision on who to offer:

• Talent
  • Athleticism
  • Character
  • Intelligence
  • Work ethic

...and not necessarily in that order.  If a recruit is insanely talented and athletic, but is dumb as a box of rocks and a douchbag, I don't want him.  You and I can't always see those factors and rest assured, recruits are usually on their best behavior in front of a camera, but sometimes, a staff may offer one guy and not another and just based on the mix tapes, we may not understand the decision.  Based on what I've seen since, I am personally glad that IU did not get Teague or Lyles (or Lyle for that matter). OTOH, while Victor had to hone his talent at IU, he had the other four factors in spades.  Talent can be developed, but a douchebag is forever (not always but too often).

...and that's why I love Trendon Watford...I know the family and I feel like I have a pretty good grasp of his character.  He may not be uber athletic, but he's very talented and by all accounts I've read, a good kid from a great family that loves IU.  That's hard to turn down if he wants to come.

That’s a great post. I think we’re close to the same page on the things we’re looking for. I do have a soft spot for Jaquan being from Newburgh and watching him play. It’s a damn shame he got caught up in the wrong things but that doesn’t really surprise me with that part of the city. 

I’m not as big on the rankings as it might come off (don’t want to go the Kansas model of picking up Alexander, Preston, types) but I do think it’s imperative to consistently have an elite player (lottery player) on the roster and not just the best Indiana kids. Archie has proven to me that he can get the type of game changer / blue chip players that a blue blood program should be getting. In my best scenerio Romeo is a top 5 (the team will probably be a success too if this happens) and then we pick up Lecque to keep then ball rolling. Of course TJD + keion or Watford is more than sufficient as well. I guess the point I’m making with that is that if he can pull top 10 players that aren’t close to the state then we’ll be at the top year in and year out.

10 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Happy Belated B'Day CWat!!! Your shot against pUKe will always be a great memory for all IU fans!!!

Absolutely.  That shot and Kieth Smart's shot are probably my two most favorite basketball memories of all time.  Happy belated, C-Wat...Hoosier forever!

Archived