Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

1 hour ago, KDB said:

Watford told Peegs the 7 schools recruiting him the hardest are: Kansas, Indiana, LSU, Memphis, TCU, Alabama, and Florida State

He also said he and his family will probably visit Indiana in the fall again.

Among other reasons I’d like to see him pick IU, would be fun to beat out KU again

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it me or does TW want the IU attention but not ready to commit anytime soon?  That tells me he’s using IU to build the Hype in hoping the Big Boys come calling but I could be wrong just wanting HN’s opinion.  I’m on the fence that If he truely Loved IU & after all the visits that took place so far that it would be a done deal?  THIS furthers my reason that CAM should spend more time recruiting KBJ than TW.  This is my opinion but I’d hate to lose out on a 5 Star in State talent by chasing an out of state talent persued by an NBA great local coach in AJ.  Locking down the borders is more important & less risk.

25 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Is it me or does TW want the IU attention but not ready to commit anytime soon?  That tells me he’s using IU to build the Hype in hoping the Big Boys come calling but I could be wrong just wanting HN’s opinion.  I’m on the fence that If he truely Loved IU & after all the visits that took place so far that it would be a done deal?  THIS furthers my reason that CAM should spend more time recruiting KBJ than TW.  This is my opinion but I’d hate to lose out on a 5 Star in State talent by chasing an out of state talent persued by an NBA great local coach in AJ.  Locking down the borders is more important & less risk.

It’s a delicate decision. The college choices for 5 star players have implications of millions of dollars. It stands to reason that you take in the most data/info to make the best decision possible and you don’t do it until you’re 100% that it’s the correct one. You definitely build your brand and hold out for the best option. You have to. 

42 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

This is a decent take. Could be on to something here.

6 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

It’s a delicate decision. The college choices for 5 star players have implications of millions of dollars. It stands to reason that you take in the most data/info to make the best decision possible and you don’t do it until you’re 100% that it’s the correct one. You definitely build your brand and hold out for the best option. You have to. 

Which has me confused, wouldn’t CAM best bet be Lock down the borders vs showing an outside talent more love considering the talents are very similar?  Why hasn’t TW committed after several visits?  Does KBJ hold a grudge for  CAM looking elsewhere first?  I know if I was a 5 star talent & home team went harder for someone else first that would make me kind of upset.  Well see how this plays out i guess.

4 minutes ago, BornHoosier said:

Which has me confused, wouldn’t CAM best bet be Lock down the borders vs showing an outside talent more love considering the talents are very similar?  Why hasn’t TW committed after several visits?  Does KBJ hold a grudge for  CAM looking elsewhere first?  I know if I was a 5 star talent & home team went harder for someone else first that would make me kind of upset.  Well see how this plays out i guess.

I can’t imagine the game that goes on when you’re a D1 staff but it has to be stressful AF. You’ve got kids...again kids ...plus families that have eyes on millions in a few years time. I don’t think there is a real ideal way to play it. If there is then I think Cal has maximized it efficiently. Coach K and Izzo even has fried to copy it. It’s a wild process this modern game.

With all this Addidas info coming out lately, I think that officially proves this is a game.  I bashed CTC for not locking down the State but the more rumors that are leaked the more I believe it may not have been his fault.  What’s sad is the successful programs chose to play the dirty game and that’s bad for the game imo.  

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

With all this Addidas info coming out lately, I think that officially proves this is a game.  I bashed CTC for not locking down the State but the more rumors that are leaked the more I believe it may not have been his fault.  What’s sad is the successful programs chose to play the dirty game and that’s bad for the game imo.  

As it relates to the Adidas info that has come out lately....what rules were broken? I'm not trying to be difficult but the biggest cheater in the history of college sports was John Wooden and Sam Gilbert. This isn't new....the game is still the game but the game has been played since the 60's.

9 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

You also have to remember his brother is IU royalty in alot of circles.  He was loved here and someone doesn't have an avatar call the TheWatShot for a no reason.  And the fact that he was mostly ignored by IU up until CAM took over.  I think we're showing as much love to a legacy who just happens to be a 5* recruit as well.  I would be surprised if he doesn't pick IU but he is going to enjoy every moment of it until then

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

Guys it is still early in the process and still 6 months away from the early signing period.  With more and more top players waiting until spring to sign it might be awhile until anyone commits.  I would think with all the forwards we have and the ones we are recruiting we will not take all 3 of TW,Brooks and TJD.  I would think he would go out and take whoever commits first then go from there.

16 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Guys it is still early in the process and still 6 months away from the early signing period.  With more and more top players waiting until spring to sign it might be awhile until anyone commits.  I would think with all the forwards we have and the ones we are recruiting we will not take all 3 of TW,Brooks and TJD.  I would think he would go out and take whoever commits first then go from there.

That's the fun part about having control of your scholarships again. The normal timeline process might be a thing of the past. We saw last summer how Archie works... verbal, verbal, verbal in a few days.  I guarantee players and families take note of that. 

It's not the first one I'll watch....but how quickly the second one does but he and his family might think they won't be able to come here if they don't hurry things up. Like I said...nice to be in control of scholarships again. 

10 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

It is a business, big business.

1 hour ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

I hope Watford isn't just another Garland--charming the Indiana fans but trying to be the hometown hero in the end. Again I hope I'm wrong on that. 

I wouldn't think the Watford's would be like since Christian did come to IU and they really love this place.

8 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

I hope Watford isn't just another Garland--charming the Indiana fans but trying to be the hometown hero in the end. Again I hope I'm wrong on that. 

He wouldn't do that dry hump part like Garland did. Christian wouldn't let him play with us that way. I thought Bama last summer. Still do.

On 5/17/2018 at 11:24 PM, BornHoosier said:

There is definitely some truth here.

i used to post that the several statements by Crean, during various recruitments, implying and sometimes outright saying there were things going on, right before we pulled out of the recruitment, reflected how difficult it was to recruit clean against programs who didn’t. And included in that is identifying and recruiting elite players whose families and hangers wouldn’t look for stuff. 

That’s not a complete excuse of course, it’s now pretty clear Crean had lost the confidence of many IN HS coaches, AAU coaches and players - that CAM looks to be restoring - but recruiting clean is still difficult. 

The fallout from the ongoing probes and charges against all of these coaches and Adidas, etc. should help, definitely a good thing 

12 hours ago, CSprings Hoosier said:

He’s a kid who literally grew up around IU ball with his older brother. He’s not Garland.

He is an out of state kid whose local school has been actively recruiting him hard for years, and Crean did not put the time in (who knows why), and today’s IU is of course different with an entirely different staff and program. So CAM is working hard to make up ground, making him a priority, and he and his family see that, but he is being pulled in different directions and like all high level recruits has good choices and many different things to consider in this important choice.

Hear where you’re coming from, just saying these two kids are not at all the same 

Did the Romeo recruitment not teach us anything? A kid not being committed in May before his senior year does not mean he's cold on IU or that he's trying to "play IU for more attention". Let the family play out the process how they want to play it. Currently there are only 4 of the 25 5 stars (per 247) committed, and that's to only two schools (USC and UK).

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/18/2018 at 7:35 PM, CSprings Hoosier said:

Trendon was scheduled to be in Colorado Springs from May 31 through June 2.  And has released a list of schools he intends to visit. So, if he has visited Memphis, my guess is he got released early.  Yes. Memphis.  But also Kansas, and Indiana, are also on the list.   Knowing he has been to IU, it must have been the "unbelievable in home" visit from Archie, calling him back to IU.  LOL

Anyway.  Expect to hear more about these visits in the days to come. 

11 minutes ago, CapnRon said:

I'm not a fan of these Watford and Garland comparisons. They seem unwarranted and unnecessary. The kid is taking his time, there isn't some conspiracy.  Stay calm fellas.

Spot on.  Not the same kind of kids.... at all.  What we know of each..... is not like the other.  Would love to have the legacy live on in the Watford family.  I highly doubt they will be playing IU, as did the Garland's.  Again.... Mr. Watford saying the in home with Archie was unbelievable, is very believable to me.... considering his older son starred at IU. 

7 hours ago, CapnRon said:

I'm not a fan of these Watford and Garland comparisons. They seem unwarranted and unnecessary. The kid is taking his time, there isn't some conspiracy.  Stay calm fellas.

It is only June so I wouldn't even say he is taking his time.  It is still early in the recruiting process and with more top players choosing to sign n the spring it will be awhile until these top recruits commit.

Archived