Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

I'm guessing that Penny will be an effective recruiter.  We'll soon know if he can actually coach the talent he gets or if he's just another Alford.

...or worse yet...Patrick Ewing rebooted.

Ewing actually did a decent job. The team he took over was a total mess - went 14-18 (5-13) and lost 5 of their top 7 scorers.

I'd give him a bit more time before developing a strong opinion.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The list of former NBA players turned college coaches who didn't have success is far longer than the one's who did have a little bit. Memphis is a tough sell for me. To me this just seems odd. Memphis isn't a college town, Penny has ZERO coaching track record in D1, smaller program...and honestly Memphis is a city that is filled with crime/littered with problems.

Lots of action to Memphis for Watford in CB world but this is total opposite of what I thought which was Bama.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

The list of former NBA players turned college coaches who didn't have success is far longer than the one's who did have a little bit. Memphis is a tough sell for me. To me this just seems odd. Memphis isn't a college town, Penny has ZERO coaching track record in D1, smaller program...and honestly Memphis is a city that is filled with crime/littered with problems.

Lots of action to Memphis for Watford in CB world but this is total opposite of what I thought which was Bama.

Just remember how Romeo said Drew played in the NBA, so he knew what it takes to get there or something along those lines. Take that x1000 because Penny was an NBA star and that's the pitch. With the NBA being generation changing money, the reason most top 20ish recruits choose a school is who can get me to the NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and other reasons follow.

1 hour ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't get why these kids get so hyped to play for former NBA guys. It's not like Coach K, Williams, Self, Izzo, Cal, Wright were stud players. I don't think anyone can argue their lack of playing skills on the court translated into an inability to develop players/get guys to the next level. If Penny was such a good coach, he wouldn't have been only working in the AAU circuit.

I have a feeling that Watford recruiting Hurt to Memphis doesn't mean he's sold on ending up there. Seems to me like he's coming off a good unofficial visit and wants to gauge whether or not other top players are interested as well. 

15 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Just remember how Romeo said Drew played in the NBA, so he knew what it takes to get there or something along those lines. Take that x1000 because Penny was an NBA star and that's the pitch. With the NBA being generation changing money, the reason most top 20ish recruits choose a school is who can get me to the NBA 1st, 2nd, and 3rd and other reasons follow.

It always fascinates me how illogical arguments resonate with so many people.  In this case, it's the argument that you have to be a chicken in order to be capable of making a good omelet.

23 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Sorry. I'd take my chances with Coach K, Self, Calipari or others on that list before I trusted to flavor of the month in Ewing, Mullin, Hoiberg, Avery Johnson,  Danny Manning, Mark Price, Reggie Theus...even our own Isiah Thomas....just me though. Only Hoiberg had some real success in college. 

6 minutes ago, BoomBaby said:

It always fascinates me how illogical arguments resonate with so many people.  In this case, it's the argument that you have to be a chicken in order to be capable of making a good omelet.

Exactly,  I think sending your kid to an unproven coach who’s only been at the AAU/HS level is very risky and I’ll go as far as to call it stupid.  Because he was an NBA all star in the 90s means absolutely nothing in terms of his coaching and player development.  So many former players have been terrible hires.  Penny will succeed to a degree if he can make Memphis a go to destination like Cal made it, but I’m not sold at all that he’s a viable coach.

37 minutes ago, cybergates said:

Clyde Drexler was an all time great player but did terrible coaching Houston

Penny/Memphis is the flavor of the day...new & exciting.  I also get the appeal of playing for a former NBA star.  If Penny can beat the odds and be a solid in-game tactician, he'll have significant success.  More likely, he has some initial success recruiting and that talent has some success on the court but in the end, the talent likely falls short when an inexperienced Penny gets out-coached.  Call it a hunch...

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I am saying that just because a guy is a great player does not mean he will be a great coach.

You're underestimating the "cool" factor.  Penny has ran a major aau program for years. I think he'll do well if he surrounds himself with the right asst coach. 

5 hours ago, jimsorgi said:

Ewing actually did a decent job. The team he took over was a total mess - went 14-18 (5-13) and lost 5 of their top 7 scorers.

I'd give him a bit more time before developing a strong opinion.

Little Ricky actually had some initial success before his limitations got exposed.  Did you hear Ewing's interview after taking the job?  The dude can barely form sentences.  I'll be glad to eat those words if he proves me wrong, but my initial impression of his ability to make tactical decisions in a game situation was pretty poor.  Having played the game, he'll be able to relate to his players and being a new coach often means the players seem to try harder as they are encouraged by the possibilities that come with change, but I think the longer he coaches, the more his in-game decisions will be exposed.  I think Crean was a much better in-game coach than Ewing will be and we saw how that turned out.

...and I won't deny that my opinion could be slightly colored by Patrick being a long-time rival of my Reggie Miller Pacers, but no...I still have serious doubts about his ability to coach.  Frankly, I think Reggie would be better and once his playing days are over, I have a hunch that Vic could make a tremendous coach.  He just seems to have such an intelligent approach to the game.

Penny is also a relatable guy and by all means a humble dude who went to the bottom level and coached HS because his buddy ended up dying (that’s digging deep in my memory so it could be off but close).

He’s a class act and seems fairly intelligent and just a hooper through and through. Yeah, these former NBA players turned coaches typically fail and fail quickly but I think Penny will be a success. It’s more than just “I played in the NBA, I’m cool, and I will get you there”.

3 hours ago, btownqb said:

There are plenty of ex-players who have had success. Penny is looked at differently then a lot of them as well. He's "cool" idk why.  But he has a good chance to succeed at Memphis. 

There are but for whatever the reason, the more basketball talent a person has, the less coaching talent they seem to have.  Look at Michael Jordan...seems to be over his head running the Hornets.  Isaiah Thomas was a pretty poor coach IMO.  Lesser talented players seem better equipped to coach.  The only thing I can come up with is maybe spending all that extra time on the bench was helpful in that regard.  Penny may do very well, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against long-term success.  Initial success would not be surprising at all.  We see that all the time.  Eventually, most get their flaws exposed though.

6 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There are but for whatever the reason, the more basketball talent a person has, the less coaching talent they seem to have.  Look at Michael Jordan...seems to be over his head running the Hornets.  Isaiah Thomas was a pretty poor coach IMO.  Lesser talented players seem better equipped to coach.  The only thing I can come up with is maybe spending all that extra time on the bench was helpful in that regard.  Penny may do very well, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against long-term success.  Initial success would not be surprising at all.  We see that all the time.  Eventually, most get their flaws exposed though.

So what happened to Crean...

Archived