Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

Penny will be big in Memphis.  He's doing it the right way as a ex-player coach.  Originally he wanted Larry Brown as his head assistant which would put to rest any coaching experience woes.  He's got a great staff currently all with HC experience.  They will be a contender but I don't see Watford making the plunge as their first recruit.  Maybe I'm wrong.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

So what happened to Crean...

Crean was a bench player in high school and did not play in college at all.  Somewhere there is video of him making a hilariously comical attempt at a shot.

I think you need to be around the game to understand it, but just from my anecdotal observations, bench players seem to make better coaches in general.  Again, likely from spending a lot of time with the coaching staff on the sidelines.

29 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

There are but for whatever the reason, the more basketball talent a person has, the less coaching talent they seem to have.  Look at Michael Jordan...seems to be over his head running the Hornets.  Isaiah Thomas was a pretty poor coach IMO.  Lesser talented players seem better equipped to coach.  The only thing I can come up with is maybe spending all that extra time on the bench was helpful in that regard.  Penny may do very well, but if I were a betting man, I'd bet against long-term success.  Initial success would not be surprising at all.  We see that all the time.  Eventually, most get their flaws exposed though.

Just curious.. how many of them have been put in a good position to succeed? As in at a solid program, which Memphis is. 

9 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Just curious.. how many of them have been put in a good position to succeed? As in at a solid program, which Memphis is. 

Penny may do very well. I expect him to have an initial surge.  All I did was give you some reasons for my doubts that he sustains that success.  Sounds like he's a pretty good guy, so I don't wish him ill.

Coaching aside, I don't really get the appeal of Memphis. The AAC isn't exactly a stacked conference and Memphis isn't a program other elite schools are eager to put on their schedule right now. If getting to the NBA is such a big part of Trendon's decision in a school, then idk why he would go to a program that isn't consistently playing good teams.

1 hour ago, FKIM01 said:

Crean was a bench player in high school and did not play in college at all.  Somewhere there is video of him making a hilariously comical attempt at a shot.

I think you need to be around the game to understand it, but just from my anecdotal observations, bench players seem to make better coaches in general.  Again, likely from spending a lot of time with the coaching staff on the sidelines.

I have no interest in anything Rutherford says. His show is essentially a UL PR generator. 

2 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

I have no interest in anything Rutherford says. His show is essentially a UL PR generator. 

I don't doubt you, but that was a pretty comical shot attempt by CTC.  I think I saw another one in a different setting where he hit the backboard but didn't draw iron. 

Mike Ditka was a HOF tight end and a pretty good coach as well.

As far as Hardaway. He wasn't just any old AAU coach. His team had several very highly ranked players and the hope was/is that Penny would bring them along. These are 5 star kids and would be players that I could see Watford wanting to play with 

25 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

Mike Ditka was a HOF tight end and a pretty good coach as well.

As far as Hardaway. He wasn't just any old AAU coach. His team had several very highly ranked players and the hope was/is that Penny would bring them along. These are 5 star kids and would be players that I could see Watford wanting to play with 

Wiseman is trending to Memphis. 

47 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see IU cut from his list.  That’s just my feeling no inside information.  I think he wants to pave his own road so to speak.  Can’t blame the kid for that.  

I wouldn't blame him either for not coming here but I think Memphis would be a big mistake.  

9 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

Little Ricky actually had some initial success before his limitations got exposed.  Did you hear Ewing's interview after taking the job?  The dude can barely form sentences.  I'll be glad to eat those words if he proves me wrong, but my initial impression of his ability to make tactical decisions in a game situation was pretty poor.  Having played the game, he'll be able to relate to his players and being a new coach often means the players seem to try harder as they are encouraged by the possibilities that come with change, but I think the longer he coaches, the more his in-game decisions will be exposed.  I think Crean was a much better in-game coach than Ewing will be and we saw how that turned out.

True, there are coaches that have initial success before their limitations get exposed. But there are also coaches who have poor first years and turn out well.

Understand what you're saying and agree that he wasn't exactly a star in-game coach, just think jury's still out on Ewing - I watch a ton of Big East since X is my other team, and I also saw them play a lot of teams tough late in the year (lost two close ones to Providence, beat Butler, beat Seton Hall, took X to OT).  I don't think he'll become a star coach, but certainly still a chance he ends up being solid.

4 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Wouldn’t be surprised to see IU cut from his list.  That’s just my feeling no inside information.  I think he wants to pave his own road so to speak.  Can’t blame the kid for that.  

I’ll take any sort of closure this early in the process. I like what I’m seeing w these 2019 kids....

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only person confused with what ones mastery of the English language has to do with being a good basketball tactician? I don't even see correlation there, let alone causation. 

To answer your question, I am not sure.  I think the statement about a coherant sentence is in regards to communicating to his players.  We know communicating as a coach is more than forming sentences.  I would be willing to bet Ewing can Jon Madden across a white board just fine.

2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:
2 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

Am I the only person confused with what ones mastery of the English language has to do with being a good basketball tactician? I don't even see correlation there, let alone causation. 

Goes to the ability to clearly communicate with his players. I'm going to be blunt here...if Ewing is as dumb as he sounds, I have a hard time believing he'll be a good basketball tactician. 

12 hours ago, Hoosierdave said:

Does anyone know when he plans to make his decision? If we could just get him to Hoosier Hysteria I think it could really change his opinion. 

I would think Trendon is a rare one who wouldn't be swayed by HH, since he's seen it before and been to many games at AH. Does anyone know if he was in attendance for the Watshot?

1 minute ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

This was face as his brother released the shot.  Priceless.

Image result for trendon watford

Nice, I thought I remembered a pic like that but wasn't sure. Reinforces my opinion that TW is one of the only recruiting targets that going to (another) HH wouldn't have much impact on.

13 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Same feelings here and honestly I would appreciate the honesty from the family so we don't invest resources/time if he knows he wants to go his own path. I've long said/thought Bama. I can see that. Former NBA coach, home state, offered very early,etc....but Memphis? That would be a mistake in my little opinion. 

Archived