Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

25 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I think Alabama was less likely to get Trendon that IU even before that commit.  Sounds like he is likely headed to Memphis even before that commit.

A couple years ago that news would be devastating....the fact we are where we are with so many talented kids...especially local kids speaks volumes about Archie and the where the program is that the fans aren't even that upset. Hard to say where we land this year with Wins and Losses but in the next couple years I think we will have put ourselves a top the BIG10 and the momentum should just build from there.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just realized the other day that mike miller was the nba mike miller lol. Getting old. Yeah...you can tell by his quotes that Memphis is in the drivers seat here. I wouldn’t mind seeing him there tbh. Penny was my fav player as a kid and I enjoyed watching Mike play too. I think they’re going to kill it there and I hope they do.

47 minutes ago, ADegenerate said:

Just realized the other day that mike miller was the nba mike miller lol. Getting old. Yeah...you can tell by his quotes that Memphis is in the drivers seat here. I wouldn’t mind seeing him there tbh. Penny was my fav player as a kid and I enjoyed watching Mike play too. I think they’re going to kill it there and I hope they do.

I think they will have so momentum if Wiseman and company end up there but if they don’t win on the court it will fade out pretty quick.

Lived in Memphis - they're going to do great recruiting wise.  Until they prove it on the court, they'll be hype and Penny was hired for this exact purpose - Wiseman and the other top recruits he had contact with via Memphis HS ball or AAU.  I think they'll be Calipari-esque squads without coaching, we'll see.  One question I'm having with Archie - his eggs are deep in what I would consider a lot of baskets.  He doesn't seem to give up and move on, but it makes me wonder the position we're in with some of our 'locks' (TJD or Brooks).

13 hours ago, ADegenerate said:

Complete randomness but my son Ayden is a big  Lebron fan and when Mike Miller hit that 3 with 1 shoe on in tge finals Ayden was in the driveway shooting with 1 shoe on for the next few days. I asked him what he was doing and he said you never know what might happen in a game.  We still laugh about that

15 hours ago, hoosierdaddy said:

Lived in Memphis - they're going to do great recruiting wise.  Until they prove it on the court, they'll be hype and Penny was hired for this exact purpose - Wiseman and the other top recruits he had contact with via Memphis HS ball or AAU.  I think they'll be Calipari-esque squads without coaching, we'll see.  One question I'm having with Archie - his eggs are deep in what I would consider a lot of baskets.  He doesn't seem to give up and move on, but it makes me wonder the position we're in with some of our 'locks' (TJD or Brooks).

Yeah good question. There are some you would think he would bow out of because we don't seem to be likely landing spots...yet he doesn't give up. Don't know what to make of that....but hopefully it's a good thing!

21 hours ago, dgambill said:

Yeah good question. There are some you would think he would bow out of because we don't seem to be likely landing spots...yet he doesn't give up. Don't know what to make of that....but hopefully it's a good thing!

Things can change quickly in recruiting, especially when top rated players start to commit. A commit at the same position at a player's number 1 school can suddenly put the number 2 or even 3 school in the driver's seat. Not to mention the chatter on where a recruit is leaning is frequently incorrect in the first place. There is no reason to stop recruiting a top kid as long as a school is on his final list and still has a scholarship open. 

1 hour ago, hoosierBGH said:

Things can change quickly in recruiting, especially when top rated players start to commit. A commit at the same position at a player's number 1 school can suddenly put the number 2 or even 3 school in the driver's seat. Not to mention the chatter on where a recruit is leaning is frequently incorrect in the first place. There is no reason to stop recruiting a top kid as long as a school is on his final list and still has a scholarship open. 

See Romeo Langford's recruitment last year.

Nice write up....definitely a good kid. Not sure which I would rather have...him or Brooks. I think he would be pretty famous on campus and an instant fan favorite. The only issue and I can understand it would be trying to live up to his brother's legacy. Don't get me wrong....I think Trendon will be a much better basketball player than Christian for sure...but to carve out a history for himself here at IU....he would have to accomplish a lot. I could see why he might want to go somewhere without all that pressure and attention being tied to your brother all the time.

Yeah, I'm not counting him as likely, but I no longer think Memphis is the lock that I once did.  One thing that would concern me about Memphis if I am Trendon is, while Hardaway & Miller were good professional players, there's really no track record that they can coach other players to the NBA.  As much grief as Crean gets, he had a pretty good developmental track record for players (better than Painter and not by a little).  I expect Archie will be even better at IU.  That's got to be a bigger question mark at Memphis.  If it isn't, Penny is a hell of a salesman.

21 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Yeah, I'm not counting him as likely, but I no longer think Memphis is the lock that I once did.  One thing that would concern me about Memphis if I am Trendon is, while Hardaway & Miller were good professional players, there's really no track record that they can coach other players to the NBA.  As much grief as Crean gets, he had a pretty good developmental track record for players (better than Painter and not by a little).  I expect Archie will be even better at IU.  That's got to be a bigger question mark at Memphis.  If it isn't, Penny is a hell of a salesman.

I think Penny will be able to sell kids on getting to the NBA. He and Miller have NBA pedigree...they know what it takes to succeed at that level...the things you need to be great at etc. I think they will have no problem with kids with elite talent...now if I'm a lower 4 star but I know I don't have elite athleticism or talent...I might worry if they will be able to grow my game the same way. The main thing I would be worried about if I was a Memphis fan...which the kids probably don't...is winning basketball games. Can these guys actually coach up the x's and o's or is it roll a ball out there and let the talent rise to the top but the team can't do what is necessary to win.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I think Penny will be able to sell kids on getting to the NBA. He and Miller have NBA pedigree...they know what it takes to succeed at that level...the things you need to be great at etc. I think they will have no problem with kids with elite talent...now if I'm a lower 4 star but I know I don't have elite athleticism or talent...I might worry if they will be able to grow my game the same way. The main thing I would be worried about if I was a Memphis fan...which the kids probably don't...is winning basketball games. Can these guys actually coach up the x's and o's or is it roll a ball out there and let the talent rise to the top but the team can't do what is necessary to win.

I think we're at least mostly saying the same things...if a kid is pretty much NBA-ready, I could probably coach him and get him drafted.  If a kid needs to grow and improve his NBA stock, I'm not sure a former player with experience in the league but little to no experience in developing other prospects is the answer.

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24235879/forward-dj-jeffries-decommits-kentucky-wildcats-reopens-recruitment

5 star small forward decomitts from UK and he played for Hardaway's summer team.  If Watford thinks of himself as a small forward he might start looking elsewhere and not look at Memphis

In general, this is one the main reasons why you don't stop recruiting top talent like this until they take you off your list. Players can suddenly fill up spots that other guys thought would be open to them whenever they wanted it. 

I'm glad to see that Trendon is "definitely" going to visit IU again. The way the Carton recruitment went, I could see him shifting his interest towards IU after a really good visit, especially with the potential of him teaming up with guys he's familiar with like TJD, KBJ, Hurt, Lewis Jr., etc.

Archived