Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/24235879/forward-dj-jeffries-decommits-kentucky-wildcats-reopens-recruitment

5 star small forward decomitts from UK and he played for Hardaway's summer team.  If Watford thinks of himself as a small forward he might start looking elsewhere and not look at Memphis

Yes I expect him and Keion will get heavily recruited by UK now. Interestingly I think Alabama and Memphis are in on both Jefferies and Watford.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 2 weeks later...
11 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I can see Watford, Brooks, TJD and other top 30 players holding off until spring. This will be the new norm and if we want these talented kids coming to Indiana, we’d better be prepared to wait. Scare tactics like “better hurry, before spots fill up” are absolutely useless anymore. Five star players will find a spot, or have a spot made for them if need be. Thanks for posting!

4 hours ago, Danomatic said:

Interesting to see that there’s no mention of Indiana. 

Probably because Nick Lucero is a photographer over at Rivals, who just happens to be an Alabama shill.   Nothing wrong with being a shill.... just as long as you are fair. 

Now I realize things with teenagers can change. And heaven knows, Trendon has been on the IU campus, numerous times.  But last I was told was that Trendon still plans on visiting IU one more time (most likely an unofficial), before making a final decision.

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Probably because Nick Lucero is a photographer over at Rivals, who just happens to be an Alabama shill.   Nothing wrong with being a shill.... just as long as you are fair. 

Now I realize things with teenagers can change. And heaven knows, Trendon has been on the IU campus, numerous times.  But last I was told was that Trendon still plans on visiting IU one more time (most likely an unofficial), before making a final decision.

Yeah there is nothing more he can experience or know about IU that he doesn't already. His only question would be about playing for Archie and fit with the team. I don't think we are in the drivers seat here...mostly because I think he wants to make a name for himself like his brother did...but I do think that he would fit in nicely here with us. He has the ability to be a stretch 4 and could play alongside Anderson, Smith and Hunter or play some 3 with Race at the 4 and would compliment them all very well. With TJD and Moore and Davis holding down the 5 Watford is a great fit for us....if Memphis wouldn't have come along so hot lately I think we would have been favorites to land him.

TDH did a great player profile on Trendon as few days back.

2019 Recruit Profile Page: Trendon Watford | The Daily Hoosier

From the same interview, and in addition to the quotes in the profile, Trendon also had this to say about IU : "(IU) is a strong place in my heart. Obviously, I've visited there so long. It's obviously good having a relationship with all the fans there." "I'm real comfortable with the area and just everybody there---everybody in Bloomington." "They know my whole family, (I've) just (been) building a strong relationship with coach Archie."

In terms of visits, Watford said in the interview that one of the visits "will definitely be to IU.

----------------------------------

Once again, hearing what I heard, less than 2 weeks ago, and based on the above quotes, it is hard for me to believe that IU has fallen out of the race for Trendon.  Shoddy reporting by Alabama homers. Even Zagoria recently listed IU, as still in the hunt. Unless things have changed in the last two weeks, as far as I know, while IU may not currently be at the top of Trendon's list.... IU still is ON his list. 

And then there is this. From today.  8/15/18.  "There is a good chance the Hoosiers will  be in Trendon's top four....rather than bottom four. "

Five-Star 2019 Power Forward Trendon Watford’s Top Eight 

Folks. As of 8/15/18... we may not be the leader of the pack, but we are still in the lead pack.  Which kind of reminds me of where we were at this point in Romeo's recruitment.

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And then there is this. From today.  8/15/08.  "There is a good chance the Hoosiers will  be in Trendon's top four....rather than bottom four. "

Folks. As of 8/15/08... we may not be the leader of the pack, but we are still in the lead pack.  Which kind of reminds me of where we were at this point in Romeo's recruitment.

Speaking to people involved with the Mountain Brook program, all I'm hearing is Memphis with fan hopes for Bama. As for our Hoosiers, I just wonder how much interest is simply respect for the program.  If we could make a run in the tourney,  and get some elite commitments by early spring, maybe we could ride the momentum to a commitment from Trendon.

Hopefully the Watfords pay attention to the differences in competition and national TV exposure. No one else on his list can touch us in those areas. Also, seeing Romeo excel with a strong, experienced supporting cast should contrast well with a team of young, inexperienced  and unproven talent at Memphis. 

58 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Speaking to people involved with the Mountain Brook program, all I'm hearing is Memphis with fan hopes for Bama. As for our Hoosiers, I just wonder how much interest is simply respect for the program.  If we could make a run in the tourney,  and get some elite commitments by early spring, maybe we could ride the momentum to a commitment from Trendon.

Hopefully the Watfords pay attention to the differences in competition and national TV exposure. No one else on his list can touch us in those areas. Also, seeing Romeo excel with a strong, experienced supporting cast should contrast well with a team of young, inexperienced  and unproven talent at Memphis. 

That would all depend when he is going to sign.  If it is November the he won't get to see the team play before signing

12 hours ago, milehiiu said:

And then there is this. From today.  8/15/08.  "There is a good chance the Hoosiers will  be in Trendon's top four....rather than bottom four. "

Folks. As of 8/15/08... we may not be the leader of the pack, but we are still in the lead pack.  Which kind of reminds me of where we were at this point in Romeo's recruitment.

Did not realize we have been on him since before 08😁 just kidding Mile

39 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Did not realize we have been on him since before 08😁 just kidding Mile

Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I have gone back and corrected.  Bobby got on Damon early, but not as early as it would appear, based on my typo that IU got in on Trendon. LOL.

Hope your son has had a great summer. 

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

That would all depend when he is going to sign.  If it is November the he won't get to see the team play before signing

Trendon has been quoted in multiple recent articles, that currently he is planning his vists, and will be making his decision in the Spring. 

7 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Thanks for pointing that out to me.  I have gone back and corrected.  Bobby got on Damon early, but not as early as IU got on Trendon. LOL.

Hope your son has had a great summer. 

Thank you so much. He has its been great. Way to fast. Not basketball related but he was able to spend some time this summer with Indy car driver Jay Howard. He might do a little go kart racing at his drivibg school.

20180727_110502.jpg

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I see him at 22 and still a 5* in the 247 ranking list i see

Can you link to what you are seeing?

You're looking at the composite rather than 247's rankings. The composite is probably a better number to use since it factors in 247, Rivals and ESPN, but the 247 rankings are the ones that were updated today.

You need to click the "Top247" button on the rankings page to see the new rankings released today.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

image.png.4bdfc65fa86bd060a48b7806451704de.png

1 minute ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

You're looking at the composite rather than 247's rankings. The composite is probably a better number to use since it factors in 247, Rivals and ESPN, but the 247 rankings are the ones that were updated today.

You need to click the "Top247" button on the rankings page to see the new rankings released today.

https://247sports.com/Season/2019-Basketball/RecruitRankings/?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

image.png.4bdfc65fa86bd060a48b7806451704de.png

Thanks, that helps alot

Archived