Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

My take on Trendon Watford is that he has an elite basketball IQ. To say that he’s not as good as Christian is dismissive. I’ve watched him play several times as well and he’s light years above CWat at this stage. While he lacks elite athleticism, that’s his only obvious flaw.... and I’ll take his play making abilities all day long. We have other athletes. I know that we’re no longer in the running for his services, but I’d take him in a second if he wanted to come here. Sure, Keion is better and more of what Archie wants in a wing, but Trendon is very good. He has terrific range and a soft touch inside. He’s not an NBA player right now and will likely be a 3-4 year stud in college. However, he’s one hell of a basketball player and will make whatever school he chooses to go to very happy. I wish him nothing but the best.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Danomatic said:

My take on Trendon Watford is that he has an elite basketball IQ. To say that he’s not as good as Christian is dismissive. I’ve watched him play several times as well and he’s light years above CWat at this stage. While he lacks elite athleticism, that’s his only obvious flaw.... and I’ll take his play making abilities all day long. We have other athletes. I know that we’re no longer in the running for his services, but I’d take him in a second if he wanted to come here. Sure, Keion is better and more of what Archie wants in a wing, but Trendon is very good. He has terrific range and a soft touch inside. He’s not an NBA player right now and will likely be a 3-4 year stud in college. However, he’s one hell of a basketball player and will make whatever school he chooses to go to very happy. I wish him nothing but the best.

This has been more of my impression as well. Not that it matters for IU, but Trendon is bigger, stronger,  and more athletic than Christian was at the same age. He's not super bouncy, but actually dunks hard on people in traffic. Christian was super skinny and rarely ventured into the post. Trendon has much better training,  coaching, and opportunity to play elite competition in national tournaments. Not sure how he'll develop in college, and he's not oad, but he'll be a match up challenge offensively.

13 hours ago, DropINLurker said:

You caught a strange game then. Trendon ain't remotely a volume scorer. Plays more of the point forward role when he is on a good team (his AAU team put him in a bad role this summer) - key quality is actually his passing and ball handling at 6' 9". Athleticism is weaker than the typical 5-star but way better than C Wat and more than enough bounce to play above rim. Big question is his foot speed and lateral quickness against the elite players

I saw one AAU game and came away unimpressed (but not discounting it was only one game and one of many AAU games over a weekend).Kira Lewis was very impressive in the game I watched, and Watford kinda just drifted around the 3 point line waiting for a shot opportunity. Showed no aggression. Also of note, there were other players on the GA Stars (IIRC) team that I couldn't believe were playing in a high level AAU EYBL. I played against better kids in HS that didn't play college ball and at the HPER & SRSC when I was at IU. I was a bit shocked.

Can you elaborate on the "his AAU team put in him in a bad role"?

I saw him at EYBL also.  Agree with cybergates that Kira Lewis, Jr. was more impressive.  Back then we were recruiting him, and I wanted him over Carton, Mann, and Ramsey.  For anyone that kept following, Kira reclassified and has been starting for Alabama, leading them in scoring at 15.4 per game, almost 42% from 3.  Stud.

I think guys are overstating Trendon's shortcomings.  First thing, you wouldn't believe how much he mirrors Christian's mannerisms.  The loping, seems like moving might kill him.  As an IU fan it was fun to see.  He plays in kind of the same way, and then has bursts of explosion.  I'd call him a power forward, definitely a good fit for a 5 in today's game.  He's not insanely athletic, but probably a little more explosive than his brother.  

1 hour ago, cybergates said:

I saw one AAU game and came away unimpressed (but not discounting it was only one game and one of many AAU games over a weekend).Kira Lewis was very impressive in the game I watched, and Watford kinda just drifted around the 3 point line waiting for a shot opportunity. Showed no aggression. Also of note, there were other players on the GA Stars (IIRC) team that I couldn't believe were playing in a high level AAU EYBL. I played against better kids in HS that didn't play college ball and at the HPER & SRSC when I was at IU. I was a bit shocked.

Can you elaborate on the "his AAU team put in him in a bad role"?

I mean basically what you said by bad role. That team played through Kira as a first and only option and tried to make Trendon a full-time attacking wing. He just doesn't have the first step and explosiveness at this point to be that at the EYBL level. His better role is either point-forward (think Draymond) or as a high-post playmaker at this point. His high school and his other AAU team (M33M) used him much more as a point-forward

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

That writer isn't just any schmo off the wall.  That writer is Eric Bossi, who has been around for years.  And is currently the National Recruiting expert for Rivals. 

Which is weird for him to be so off, right? Our interest in Watford (and vice versa) has been off for a few months. Seems odd to mention us. I know he's a legacy recruit and all but pretty odd statement.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Which is weird for him to be so off, right? Our interest in Watford (and vice versa) has been off for a few months. Seems odd to mention us. I know he's a legacy recruit and all but pretty odd statement.

Even Evan Daniels, who I like a lot, does not always get it right.  I imagine being a national recruiting expert, leaves one to not be able to stay on top of each and every recruit, 100% of the time. 

Let's be real....if Archie didn't feel comfortable with where he stood with his recruiting class I can tell you he would be on Trendon with as much zeal as anyone. I feel very confident that we are landing another 5 star of similar caliber with our last spot available. Great kid and family and I do think he is talented. I think one of those kids that will get better in a couple years and become the leader on that Tiger basketball team (assuming he ends up in Memphis). Happy for him that he doesn't have to try to follow in his brothers footsteps. To be known as someone's brother and not on your own...that isn't always the most appealing. Would have had big shoes to fill. Good luck to him!

5 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IU made top four for Trendon.  Not sure what to think.  Kinda surprised that IU made the final four although I think its a two horse race between Alabama and Memphis

I know CoachSS said that both sides aren’t interested but like if he wasn’t interested in us then why not just do Final 3?? Put LSU, Memphis, and Alabama?

4 minutes ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

IU made top four for Trendon.  Not sure what to think.  Kinda surprised that IU made the final four although I think its a two horse race between Alabama and Memphis

Think that shows the level of mutual respect between the family and program. Unless something has drastically changed in the last couple days, you are correct on the horse race. Would selfishly like to see him at Bama so I can watch him easier.

Archived