Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

28 minutes ago, Reacher said:

Archie. on his radio show today, said Clifton Moore has really improved. Shot blocker for next year?

I hope so. I love that Davis plays hard but he has no lift. Smith is more a leaper than a shot blocker. I just don't want Trayce back there by himself getting into foul trouble trying to deter shots in the lane.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If I had an older brother who played at IU, and I had visited for years to the point where I said it was like a second home, and I was looking at taking a visit to a school to help me decide where to play, I would definitely not waste a visit on IU if I was not really serious about it as a possible landing spot.  That's just me, of course.

1 hour ago, IUDan93 said:

If I had an older brother who played at IU, and I had visited for years to the point where I said it was like a second home, and I was looking at taking a visit to a school to help me decide where to play, I would definitely not waste a visit on IU if I was not really serious about it as a possible landing spot.  That's just me, of course.

This is EXACTLY what I’ve been thinking

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

I doubt there is room for both Jake and Clifton going forward.  One will transfer IMO.  There just isn't the playing time for both once Race gets back.

I think there is if they are willing to be patient and develop. Not saying no one will transfer but I'm not willing to make those kind of projections this early.

I look at it this way...Archie had a plan for Jake when he went after him.  I doubt that plan has changed much a third of the way into Jake's first season and I very much doubt Archie has already given up and is recruiting over Jake.  He's on the record saying very positive things about Clifton more than once this season so I doubt Clifton has one foot out the door either.  He's probably staying in contact with these spring decisions just in case something unexpected happens...career-ending injury or an unexpected early exit, but I doubt he's planning on any losses unless a player has already told him something in private that he's not sharing.

Transfers happen but I'd be surprised if the staff already knows of one. More likely they are recruiting for unknown contingencies. 

14 hours ago, FKIM01 said:

That's why I'm not buying the four man class theory.

I think it is less likely as well....but who knows...when the season ends anything can happen. I mean Hunter may want to move closer to home and transfer to somewhere in Ohio or Damezi might not be happy with his PT.....heck even Green has to realize he has been passed over by a freshman and sophomore. If people keep giving Justin Smith a hard time maybe he transfers to Illinois...as we stand...I'd would just about rather keep who we have and have seasoned guys than another freshman....at least a non-five star freshman that is. If it's Stewart or Trendon ok...but for just another 4* to replace an older 4*...not really interested.

22 hours ago, macomb hoosier said:

I take it to mean he may give Moore some minutes this week.

I'd love to see him get more run. Honestly Fitz has his role on this team...but there is a lot of games he will have no business being on the floor. I think Clif could be a better rebounder and defender...something I would much rather see out of our bigs. Fitz might stretch the floor but he really doesn't put pressure on the defense and he definitely doesn't rebound that well. We are already undersized a lot with Juwan playing the 5....and with Davis barely able to jump over a piece of paper it would be nice to have someone play above the rim.

41 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Next Juwan Morgan....I mean Archie should have to do little more than show him last two years of Morgan's growth under him and how he would be used.

Morgan can be an excellent example going forward, but I'm not sure if that's what Watford is aiming for as his development. Morgan's bread and butter is low post scoring and he's now trying to move beyond 3-point line, but Watford is a bit opposite of Morgan. IMO, Morgan is 4.5 (Forward-Center) while Watford is 3.5.

15 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Morgan can be an excellent example going forward, but I'm not sure if that's what Watford is aiming for as his development. Morgan's bread and butter is low post scoring and he's now trying to move beyond 3-point line, but Watford is a bit opposite of Morgan. IMO, Morgan is 4.5 (Forward-Center) while Watford is 3.5.

Agreed. Watford is much much further along in his development...and probably isn't looking to play in the post but both are essentially point forwards. Morgan shouldn't have to play the 5 he just is forced to do to our size issues. The thing is Morgan can play with his back to the basket and face up...and most importantly he is an excellent and willing passer with the ball in his hands. Watford can shoot and facilitate....I agree would want to play more on the outside facing up but Juwan does that...and does it well...and is part of his game that Archie has improved the most with him. Juwan has always been nifty around the basket (old man's game) but the court vision and face up game is what has improved and set him apart the most...and what I would think a guy like Watford would see and appreciate. Trendon is a much better athlete than Juwan...but I wouldn't say he is going to always be more athletic then those he goes up against...and the stuff that Juwan has put into his game I think would serve him well. I think they have overlapping skill sets is all...even if Trendon is a superior talent to begin with and desires to be much more a 3 to Juwan's 4.

Just talked with a guy very close with the family and Trendon's high school. Nothing earth shattering regarding us, but interesting that his father is really pushing for Trendon to go 3 years and get his degree. Also said Trendon really wants a true college experience.  We both agreed places like UK with Wildcat lodge don't lend themselves to a real college experience.  

Interesting the guy did mention the Juwan Morgan comparison, and that has definitely been discussed with the family.  Still think it's Alabama or Memphis,  but who knows.  I'm biased, but I think IU definitely supplies a great "college experience".

5 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Just talked with a guy very close with the family and Trendon's high school. Nothing earth shattering regarding us, but interesting that his father is really pushing for Trendon to go 3 years and get his degree. Also said Trendon really wants a true college experience.  We both agreed places like UK with Wildcat lodge don't lend themselves to a real college experience.  

Interesting the guy did mention the Juwan Morgan comparison, and that has definitely been discussed with the family.  Still think it's Alabama or Memphis,  but who knows.  I'm biased, but I think IU definitely supplies a great "college experience".

This is interesting. 

20 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

There is only really a few OAD kids in the country. Typically have a special package of skills and athleticism. Trendon I don't quite think fits that mold. That 3 year and get a degree thing makes PERFECT sense. It would be the way I would want my kid to go as well! Guys like Trayce, Keion, and Hunter I think fit that category well. There are only a couple Romeo's every year...these 5* that are willing to stay a couple years are the guys I'm most interested in. That jump from freshman to sophomore year for them is what should help us move into that upper tier of basketball programs if we can get them to stay and develop.

• 2 weeks later...

Spoke with a guy that said LSU and Memphis are the major players now. Danny Manning is trying to get involved,  but don't see that. We still have the family/sentimental factor, but still think that's a longshot.  They lost a heartbreaker at the buzzer in Sioux Falls last weekend after beating IMG in Florida before Christmas.

Archived