Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!

Hoosierhoopster

Trendon Watford

2 minutes ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Has anything been definitely set for a last visit with IU? I haven't seen anything......

2/26 against Wisconsin is the tentative date. But he also was tentatively scheduled to visit for the Louisville game and that didn’t happen. 

As I understand, his recruitment ended a long time ago in regards to Indiana Men's Basketball. 

I stress the long time ago part. 

48 minutes ago, CoachSS said:

As I understand, his recruitment ended a long time ago in regards to Indiana Men's Basketball. 

I stress the long time ago part. 

Did he end it or did IU?  I just wonder (and that is all it is because I do not know anything about it or have any inside info) but it seemed like IU was in on Davis and Brooks and they were the priorities not Watford? Someone in the know might be able to give some insight.

17 hours ago, iuvol said:

Did he end it or did IU?  I just wonder (and that is all it is because I do not know anything about it or have any inside info) but it seemed like IU was in on Davis and Brooks and they were the priorities not Watford? Someone in the know might be able to give some insight.

As I've mentioned before,  this is the first, and probably only, time I have inside information on recruiting. I was told very early on in Trendon's recruitment that he wouldn't be going to IU. One reason was he wanted to create his own legacy.  Another was the distance for Ernest to drive to games. This recruitment is very different from Christian's, and has many more complexities.  It sounds like the Watfords really like coach Miller and his staff, and the family loves IU, but barring something crazy, this one just isn't meant to be.  The in home visit by Archie had me intrigued, but didn't amount to anything. Too bad, I could see him playing a Morgan type of role for us, although I don't think Trendon is quite that aggressive. 

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

I still think it is criminal that this kid won't be playing at IU. 😞😞

Can't make a kid go to your school and he might want to go somewhere to make his own mark.  Also he probably saw how hard it was for his family to travel back and forth from Alabama for IU games.

On 1/11/2019 at 11:50 AM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

2/26 against Wisconsin is the tentative date. But he also was tentatively scheduled to visit for the Louisville game and that didn’t happen. 

Sounds like it's a waste of everyone's time 

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Can't make a kid go to your school and he might want to go somewhere to make his own mark.  Also he probably saw how hard it was for his family to travel back and forth from Alabama for IU games.

I get it, and by no means hold anything against CAM or Trendon...but damn, its just a hard pill to swallow.

A harder pill to swallow is when we found out that Crean wasn't giving him much attention if at all in recruiting. That was mind-boggling. Him selecting another school I can understand...creating his own path and not following big brother,  plus distance from home, etc. 

• Like 3

34 minutes ago, INDenizen said:

A harder pill to swallow is when we found out that Crean wasn't giving him much attention if at all in recruiting. That was mind-boggling. Him selecting another school I can understand...creating his own path and not following big brother,  plus distance from home, etc. 

1,000,000% agree!  I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus over anything, but since you mentioned it; the fact that Trendon hadnt even gotten so much as a phone call from Crean should have been enough to get him fired.

• Like 2

36 minutes ago, 3Ballin said:

1,000,000% agree!  I didn't want to throw anyone under the bus over anything, but since you mentioned it; the fact that Trendon hadnt even gotten so much as a phone call from Crean should have been enough to get him fired.

Didn't Crean want to get into the mix after he was hired by UGA? That was a PR move.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

There is nothing that makes me think he is coming to IU but for some reason I still find myself with a tiny glimmer of hope.  

I still have hope..isnt Shilling the lead recruiter, wasnt he the one that just had to reel him (big fish) in...fingers crossed

Watford doesn't really make any sense if we're getting Brooks unless Hunter won't be back or JS transfers.  Just not enough minutes.  We have Damezi too.

• Confused 1

33 minutes ago, Indykev said:

This was liked by Indiana Basketball. If we are done with him, why like the tweet.?

Because we recruited him and his brother hit the biggest shot in the last 30 years for us. Also you never know how things work down the road..grad transfer someday?! Keep options open.

Edited by dgambill

1 hour ago, Indykev said:

This was liked by Indiana Basketball. If we are done with him, why like the tweet.?

!! = CANDY STRIPES = HO HO HO HOOSIERS!!

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Because we recruited him and his brother hit the biggest shot in the last 30 years for us. Also you never know how things work down the road..grad transfer someday?! Keep options open.

Not buying what your selling. McDonlds AA don't become grad transfers.

4 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Exactly what I was thinking

53 minutes ago, Indykev said:

No but you always leave the door open. Kid is very unlikely to come here but a simple congrats from IU to a former stars brother who is basically a friend of the IU family doesn’t mean that much to me. If he makes an official visit...I’ll perk up.

• Like 1

“First time, long time....”

@CoachSS I LOVE reading your commentary on various recruits. Thanks for all you do! Your insight is valued and appreciated. In your opinion though, why do you think that IU stopped recruiting Watford a long time ago, as you have said? 

I have a feeling Brooks has already “committed” to IU, but just wants to announce on his own terms. 

IU walking away from Watford puzzles me though. He’s still publicly expressing interest, even if we haven’t been a frontrunner. Given his talent and potential.... if he were to commit to us, I’d imagine IU would find a way to make room for him. 

Why do you think IU is walking away then? Verbal promises to Brooks? Actively choosing to not spend time with a recruit they don’t think they’ll get? Something about him rub the coaching staff the wrong way? Something else?

• Like 1