Trendon Watford Commits to LSU

Hoosierhoopster

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Danomatic said:

I believe, and this is just me trying to think outside of the box; but when Archie said that he thinks he’s ready right now, perhaps fishing for a reclass? Total speculation on my part, as I too, am intrigued by the back to back trips to Bama.

The college ready part jumped out at me too.  From the report from the first ih home, wasn't Romeo's decision big to him?  I had the same thought as you as soon as I read what his dad said.  I wonder how much of my thinking though has been fueled by reclass conversations happening here regarding different players.  It will be interesting to watch going forward.  As I said months ago in this thread, I really want him at IU.  

2 hours ago, dyedinthewool said:

TW and several other players will be hooping in Dallas this weekend. CAM has a speaking engagement in Indy Friday evening. On top of that, Hurt and several 20-21 players will be on display this weekend in Indy. The staff will be spread thin, but will be seen in Dallas and Indy. The Watfords' are setting up OV's for this fall. My money would be on a TW visit for HH. AH will bring the house down when TW walks across the floor. CAM is lining up multiple 5* players to round out an already solid roster for the next few years.

CAM = Man with a plan.

We gettin' errbody!

Where did you see that the Watfords were setting up Fall visits?   Everything lately sounded like a decision was possibly coming soon.  I'm hoping a Fall visit is just to say hi to his future teammates.

Go Hoosiers!!!

Just to advance the unsubstantiated notion of reclassifying, what if the Watford's wanted to talk about it now because they don't want Trendon to have to go through his senior year in the state of Alabama as an IU commit?  It is admittedly a self-serving idea that is the opposite of the Romeo waiting until after the season theory from a pro-IU perspective, but just a thought that popped into my head.  I haven't heard anything specific on this.

8 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Just to advance the unsubstantiated notion of reclassifying, what if the Watford's wanted to talk about it now because they don't want Trendon to have to go through his senior year in the state of Alabama as an IU commit?  It is admittedly a self-serving idea that is the opposite of the Romeo waiting until after the season theory from a pro-IU perspective, but just a thought that popped into my head.  I haven't heard anything specific on this.

Like the theory,  and I haven’t heard anything worth sharing on Trendon,  but he wouldn't face much backlash. He probably catches more grief for being a "Brookie" (negative term people use for Mountain Brook residents), than he would for going to Indiana. I think most Alabama fans would understand because of being a legacy, and respect Indiana as a blue blood.  Plus, quite a few kids from Mountain Brook go to IU because of KSB and a strong Jewish population. Now if he was a five star quarterback and chose to leave the state...

2 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Like the theory,  and I haven’t heard anything worth sharing on Trendon,  but he wouldn't face much backlash. He probably catches more grief for being a "Brookie" (negative term people use for Mountain Brook residents), than he would for going to Indiana. I think most Alabama fans would understand because of being a legacy, and respect Indiana as a blue blood.  Plus, quite a few kids from Mountain Brook go to IU because of KSB and a strong Jewish population. Now if he was a five star quarterback and chose to leave the state...

Interesting.  How many people attend his home games?  I'm assuming that there is no pilgrimage to see him like Romeo?

Home games are attended very well by Mountain Brook.  Success and a new gym have made it quite popular.  Attendance by opposition fans varies greatly based on the school. Generally it's pretty weak unless it's an Over the Mountain rival. Of course,  I'm from Indiana, so my attendance expectations are pretty skewed :)

Btw, love your basketball reports. Greatly appreciated. 

44 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I wonder what it takes academically to reclassify and at what point (if any) it is too late to do the necessary work in time to graduate early. That being said, it seems like reclassifying to commit early to IU is putting the cart way way way before the horse. We don't even know if we're in the lead for him, and I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's ready to commit anywhere now, let alone commit and reclassify. It sounded the opposite, that they were looking to start planning their fall visits and trim the list at that time. I thought reclassify when I read the Archie comment of him being ready for college now too, but that's not really a strong argument for TW actually doing so. Would love for it to be true though!

57 minutes ago, cybergates said:

I wonder what it takes academically to reclassify and at what point (if any) it is too late to do the necessary work in time to graduate early. That being said, it seems like reclassifying to commit early to IU is putting the cart way way way before the horse. We don't even know if we're in the lead for him, and I haven't seen anything that leads me to believe that he's ready to commit anywhere now, let alone commit and reclassify. It sounded the opposite, that they were looking to start planning their fall visits and trim the list at that time. I thought reclassify when I read the Archie comment of him being ready for college now too, but that's not really a strong argument for TW actually doing so. Would love for it to be true though!

This story goes through the requirements in pretty good detail.  It is interesting that this article was in reference to Marvin Bagley and it was in the summer of 2017.  So clearly this is a decision that could be made into the summer.  Someone could wait for all of the class of 2018 decisions and grad transfer decisions and then go for it if they otherwise met the criteria and a scholarship was open.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/what-has-to-happen-for-the-ncaa-to-allow-5-star-marvin-bagley-to-play-this-season/

I agree with you that all of this is getting way ahead of ourselves on Watford.  BUT, the 2nd visit was very interesting.  Doing a piece on that now, speculating on various reasons why that might have happened since it isn't very common within the same tight recruiting period.

1 hour ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

BUT, the 2nd visit was very interesting.  Doing a piece on that now, speculating on various reasons why that might have happened since it isn't very common within the same tight recruiting period.

Agree and I'll be interested in hearing your speculation.  I can't imagine a negative reason for he second visit.  Alabama is the perceived leader and not by a little if you believe 247.

If I were Avery Johnson, that second visit would make me very nervous.

46 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

Agree and I'll be interested in hearing your speculation.  I can't imagine a negative reason for he second visit.  Alabama is the perceived leader and not by a little if you believe 247.

If I were Avery Johnson, that second visit would make me very nervous.

That and the fact that he has experienced 1st hand (on numerous occasions I assume) that basketball means as much in Indiana as football does in Alabama. He just happens to play basketball in the wrong state, at least for now...

5 hours ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

I like this. Could easily see it

13 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Ok, so I promised a speculative piece on why we got the second visit with Trendon.  Let me know what you think.  As I think someone else said, it is hard to imagine anything negative about it.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-visits-trendon-again-is-archie-going-to-watford-for-the-win/

Good read. Hope we get this kid.

23 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:

Ok, so I promised a speculative piece on why we got the second visit with Trendon.  Let me know what you think.  As I think someone else said, it is hard to imagine anything negative about it.

https://www.thedailyhoosier.com/indiana-visits-trendon-again-is-archie-going-to-watford-for-the-win/

I did indeed say earlier that it's hard to imagine there's anything negative.  It'e likewise hard to not be pretty bullish on a second visit in less than two weeks.  I'm thinking something was said in the first meeting that made the Watford family want to have a second meeting to seriously discuss the possibility of Trendon committing earlier than anticipated.

18 minutes ago, FKIM01 said:

I did indeed say earlier that it's hard to imagine there's anything negative.  It'e likewise hard to not be pretty bullish on a second visit in less than two weeks.  I'm thinking something was said in the first meeting that made the Watford family want to have a second meeting to seriously discuss the possibility of Trendon committing earlier than anticipated.

I guess the question for me is can we take both Watford and Brooks?  TJD seems a near lock and it's been speculated that he and Brooks want to play together.  We also have Smith and Hunter who should both be very good.  I'm just not sure there's enough minutes for them all.

Archived