Another former IU player alleges Wilson abuse

milehiiu

It seems like the sentiment from people who played a lot said Wilson treated them fine, and the people who didn't play a lot said he didn't treat them well.  I've seen coaches who do just that, and I've seen bitter players who skew their side of the story.

I tend to think that Wilson was a bit of a tough character who blurred the boundaries of being tough and inappropriate.  No inside info on that, but it seems the stories that have been coming out fit in with his personality, especially with how he treated people at the beginning of his tenure at IU.

In my opinion, I'm glad he's gone.  We don't need the kind of negative stories Wilson brought, reported and unreported.  I don't expect to ever hear anything like that under Coach Allen.  Kudos to Wilson for getting us to where he did, but I don't know if our administration was ever 100% behind him due to his abrasive personality from day 1.

Wilson was the source of controversy from the very day he stepped on campus.  McNutt was the public first  acknowledgement of what became other many other non public issues. He did strive to make himself the better man. Which I applauded him for. However in the end... he failed.   Which is why he is solely responsible for his firing. Mr. Glass, in the end, had no other choice. 

Having said that. Wilson has landed on his feet. Where the spotlight is not so bright.  And in the end... I wish him well... as overall, he did not discredit the University in the way that Kelvin Sampson did.  But things were heading in that direction, before Mr. Glass made the decision that the ice was getting too thin. 

The whole treating injured players like second class citizens is stupid on Wilson's part.  In what way does that even make sense?

That said, kids these days need a sense of reality.  They have been overly protected, pampered, and self-important.  It's like anytime they have a beef with someone, they publicly cry about it in an attempt to make waves.  Life isn't always easy.   

3 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The whole treating injured players like second class citizens is stupid on Wilson's part.  In what way does that even make sense?

That said, kids these days need a sense of reality.  They have been overly protected, pampered, and self-important.  It's like anytime they have a beef with someone, they publicly cry about it in an attempt to make waves.  Life isn't always easy.   

That second paragraph hits home with me.  I was at a party a few years back that my old high school football coach threw for former players.  He had just retired from coaching but was still teaching.  As I was sitting next to him I asked him why he retired.  His response, "I am a football coach, not a &**%ing babysitter."  He went on to say how kids were too soft for his taste anymore.  

Archived