Adidas

IUALUM03

I know there has been an ongoing discussion about our affiliation with Adidas  and I have stated numerous times it is the hottest brand currenty going, but this notion was met with opposition.  Here is further confirmation that we are going to start seeing it pay dividends moving forward.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/20749451/adidas-passes-jordan-brand-2nd-most-popular-sneaker-nike-top?sf115136404=1

15 minutes ago, Colonialcrester said:

That is amazing growth! But how will it pay dividends for IU?  

Kids want to play for teams with the hottest apparel and shoes.  Adidas is very much that.  It isn't always the deciding factor, but it is naive to think it doesn't register and can be a decider for high level kids wanting a shoe contract when they go pro.

"

"Nike's U.S. sales started declining around back-to-school in 2015, and it has been negative ever since," Powell said. "You have to believe at some point they're going to wake up."

Shares of Adidas are up 31.3 percent over the past year, while shares of Nike are down 3 percent."

In stock terms, Adidas = strong buy.

Adidas has really turned things around since about 2015, and like we were talking about on the chat box, the HS bball players I know all prefer Adidas over Nike generally, and while several NBA stars have Nike signature shoes (that the kids and college players love), Harden's (Adidas) really took off. The Harden's are nice shoes and it's fair to say they're building on the Adidas trend.

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

All of this talk about shoe brands made me realize I did not actually know who the pioneer of it all,  'Chuck Taylor' , really was.  I just googled him and found out he was from Indiana, played his high school basketball in Columbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_(salesman)

Yeap, one of the great from Columbus!

4 hours ago, IUALUM03 said:

Kids want to play for teams with the hottest apparel and shoes.  Adidas is very much that.  It isn't always the deciding factor, but it is naive to think it doesn't register and can be a decider for high level kids wanting a shoe contract when they go pro.

I believe you have a very solid point there.  Thinking back to shoe debates on the old board, the knock against IU staying with Adidas was that kids/recruits wanted to play for schools with the "cool" shoes. 

8 hours ago, 5fouls said:

All of this talk about shoe brands made me realize I did not actually know who the pioneer of it all,  'Chuck Taylor' , really was.  I just googled him and found out he was from Indiana, played his high school basketball in Columbus.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chuck_Taylor_(salesman)

8 hours ago, Colonialcrester said:

Yeap, one of the great from Columbus!

I'm from Columbus also (not nearly as great as Chuck tho, lol).  Last year (or year before, time flies) they offered Chucks in Olympian Orange (for Columbus East) and Bulldog Blue (for Columbus North- boo!).  Very popular around town!

• 1 year later...

Archived