Jump to content

Welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation | Indiana Basketball and Sports Forum

Welcome to HoosierSportsNation 3.0 -- our newest and best iteration.  We promise we won't bite -- come on in and register to join the party!


Sign in to follow this  

Recommended Posts

Hey guys,

Have you noticed the site being infiltrated with spam? Imagine my surprise seeing all Chinese characters making our beloved site unreadable. Thanks in advance for working on this problem

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, unfortunately these guys keep coming back with a new IP address and they do it when all the mods are tucked away in our beds. As a free site, nothing really we can do but react.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

This wouldn't happen if this was a pay site.

 

Sorry Mile. Just had to do it! 😆

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/18/2018 at 8:55 AM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, unfortunately these guys keep coming back with a new IP address and they do it when all the mods are tucked away in our beds. As a free site, nothing really we can do but react.

I don't know you guys are set up, but we took care of it on my site.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We just upped some of our backend defenses against this type of spam.  I'll give you a shout if that doesn't solve it, Rico.  One way or another we will be able to put a stop to it -- lots of tools out there these days to fight these kinds of problems.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Alright mods we had this problem on my site a few years ago.  We validated every new member that came on.  Then we got hit big time with spam.  So then we made new members answer a question about the state of Indiana to validate them.  That worked for awhile then the "Bots" broke into that one and hit us with spam again.  So this is what we did........every new member that comes to our site first three posts must be manually approved by the management staff.  After that, you are good to go.  No spam issues since and we get the spammers before they show up on the open forum.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, rico said:

Alright mods we had this problem on my site a few years ago.  We validated every new member that came on.  Then we got hit big time with spam.  So then we made new members answer a question about the state of Indiana to validate them.  That worked for awhile then the "Bots" broke into that one and hit us with spam again.  So this is what we did........every new member that comes to our site first three posts must be manually approved by the management staff.  After that, you are good to go.  No spam issues since and we get the spammers before they show up on the open forum.

Bad idea. Problem is.... can you be sure that long time members will be prevented from having to re-register ?  I have left several sites that I used to frequent, because, even though I had been a long time member.... I got tired of having to have my posts reviewed.  Which sometimes took days for them to get reviewed and approved. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Bad idea. Problem is.... can you be sure that long time members will be prevented from having to re-register ?  I have left several sites that I used to frequent, because, even though I had been a long time member.... I got tired of having to have my posts reviewed.  Which sometimes took days for them to get reviewed and approved. 

We did it.  With no consequences.  It was done.  Members that had post counts were good to go.  You let "anybody" in and you have what you have now.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, rico said:

We did it.  With no consequences.  It was done.  Members that had post counts were good to go.  You let "anybody" in and you have what you have now.  

Oh, I agree.  Something needs to be done.  Just concerned.... as we continue to get former members from our previous two iterations, still finding us.  And I would not want them to feel they are not welcome at HSN 3.0.  Really, that was the point I was attempting to get at. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh, I agree.  Something needs to be done.  Just concerned.... as we continue to get former members from our previous two iterations, still finding us.  And I would not want them to feel they are not welcome at HSN 3.0.  Really, that was the point I was attempting to get at. 

Sometimes things are just a "Catch 22".  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Am I to assume that "non-members" can view your site?  All we did was pin a thread telling everybody what the new policy was and that it was for spam control.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rico. At any given point in time, we tend to have more guests/non-members viewing our site than individuals that have signed up as members.  So the answer, is yes.  Non members can read HSN.  Many of those are fans from our previous iterations of HSN.  And have made contact with me. Is how I know they are out there.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×