HSN site

On 5/18/2018 at 8:55 AM, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Yeah, unfortunately these guys keep coming back with a new IP address and they do it when all the mods are tucked away in our beds. As a free site, nothing really we can do but react.

I don't know you guys are set up, but we took care of it on my site.  

Alright mods we had this problem on my site a few years ago.  We validated every new member that came on.  Then we got hit big time with spam.  So then we made new members answer a question about the state of Indiana to validate them.  That worked for awhile then the "Bots" broke into that one and hit us with spam again.  So this is what we did........every new member that comes to our site first three posts must be manually approved by the management staff.  After that, you are good to go.  No spam issues since and we get the spammers before they show up on the open forum.

1 hour ago, rico said:

Alright mods we had this problem on my site a few years ago.  We validated every new member that came on.  Then we got hit big time with spam.  So then we made new members answer a question about the state of Indiana to validate them.  That worked for awhile then the "Bots" broke into that one and hit us with spam again.  So this is what we did........every new member that comes to our site first three posts must be manually approved by the management staff.  After that, you are good to go.  No spam issues since and we get the spammers before they show up on the open forum.

Bad idea. Problem is.... can you be sure that long time members will be prevented from having to re-register ?  I have left several sites that I used to frequent, because, even though I had been a long time member.... I got tired of having to have my posts reviewed.  Which sometimes took days for them to get reviewed and approved. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Bad idea. Problem is.... can you be sure that long time members will be prevented from having to re-register ?  I have left several sites that I used to frequent, because, even though I had been a long time member.... I got tired of having to have my posts reviewed.  Which sometimes took days for them to get reviewed and approved. 

We did it.  With no consequences.  It was done.  Members that had post counts were good to go.  You let "anybody" in and you have what you have now.  

40 minutes ago, rico said:

We did it.  With no consequences.  It was done.  Members that had post counts were good to go.  You let "anybody" in and you have what you have now.  

Oh, I agree.  Something needs to be done.  Just concerned.... as we continue to get former members from our previous two iterations, still finding us.  And I would not want them to feel they are not welcome at HSN 3.0.  Really, that was the point I was attempting to get at. 

19 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Oh, I agree.  Something needs to be done.  Just concerned.... as we continue to get former members from our previous two iterations, still finding us.  And I would not want them to feel they are not welcome at HSN 3.0.  Really, that was the point I was attempting to get at. 

Sometimes things are just a "Catch 22".  Damned if you do, damned if you don't.  Am I to assume that "non-members" can view your site?  All we did was pin a thread telling everybody what the new policy was and that it was for spam control.

Rico. At any given point in time, we tend to have more guests/non-members viewing our site than individuals that have signed up as members.  So the answer, is yes.  Non members can read HSN.  Many of those are fans from our previous iterations of HSN.  And have made contact with me. Is how I know they are out there.

Archived