Way-Too-Early Preseason Top 25!

3 hours ago, rico said:

The way I look at it is that we are receiving credit for what we have done the last two years.

...but zero credit for how we trended last year and what's coming in.  Seems fair.

I hope the disrespect continues.  It makes the resurgence that much sweeter.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If we would have had 1 more scorer last year, we would have been in the top 4 of the B1G.  Really hard to win with only 1 person who can put any consistent points on the board.  And i completely fine if they don't see the train coming until its too late.  Heed the whistle folks, the train has started moving

On 5/19/2018 at 10:23 AM, 5fouls said:

I'll figure something out.  Certain # of points for an exactly correct pick, and then a sliding point scale for each position you are off either way.  Maybe lose points if your pick is especially bad.  

Since we'e talking basketball picks, how basing it on exact picks,most teams picked in poll, and most teams in correct order.The 4 point play could be nailing the entire top 10 or something since picking the whole thing correct already ensures victory.The other ideas sound good too and it would be fun.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:16 AM, FKIM01 said:

...but zero credit for how we trended last year and what's coming in.  Seems fair.

TBF, our trend last year included 0 wins over tournament teams and ended with a loss to Rutgers.  But aside from that, the players we have coming in and coming back are definitely being discounted.

I wonder if these preseason 25 included Morgan coming back or not.  I’m guessing the rankings didn’t include him, since there was no way of knowing if he’d stay in or return.  I bet the next preseason rankings that come out have IU listed in the top 25 now that Morgan has returned.

2 minutes ago, StLHoosier said:

I wonder if these preseason 25 included Morgan coming back or not.  I’m guessing the rankings didn’t include him, since there was no way of knowing if he’d stay in or return.  I bet the next preseason rankings that come out have IU listed in the top 25 now that Morgan has returned.

They sure assumed Carsen Edwards was coming back, so I’m sure they assumed Morgan was. 

2 hours ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

They sure assumed Carsen Edwards was coming back, so I’m sure they assumed Morgan was. 

There in lies the problem with these early polls.  Purdue lost 4 starters got one good one coming back.  Hmmmmmm.

On 5/25/2018 at 11:16 AM, FKIM01 said:

I agree with you.  I also believe that this team “should” be ranked when it really matters.  I hope people disrespect this team and look past them, right up until the time we kick their butts!

1 hour ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i understand the national media not ranking us at this point, but we really do have the talent of a top 15 team this season.  let's see what CAM can do with the talent needed to compete.

No doubt we are extremely talented.  with regard to National Media they will soon find out - however, Vitale was very high on us yesterday on his twitter account

I have always felt that a lot of these early season polls are heavily biased in terms of the previous season's performances.  That can go both ways.  Teams that did well in the previous season, get acknowledgements. While teams, like IU, that failed to make the NCAAT, despite who they have coming back and in, are not valued towards their true worth.

Even Ken Pomeroy admits, that his early season values, even after a season has started, are based primarily on the previous season. That's why one should take KenPom and early season rankings with a grain of salt in the early going. 

58 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I like it. Realistic , but not so high that it puts everyone n high alert quit yet. IU might be one of the more, if not the most deceptively good top 25 team. I am implying we stick around once they settle in. .However I think this materializes fairly early on since most of  the team's needs appear to have been addressed. It's a matter of developing that cohesion and the mostly new backcourt acclimating quickly. 

13 minutes ago, jblaz13 said:

I like it. Realistic , but not so high that it puts everyone n high alert quit yet. IU might be one of the more the most deceptively good top 25 teams. .However I think this materializes fairly early on since most of  the team's needs appear to have been addressed. It's a matter of developing that cohesion and the mostly new backcourt acclimating quickly. 

Also notable.  Previously, Parrish had Purdue in his top 25 and 1.  With his latest update, Purdue is no where to be found there. 

Point guard spot remains the only real question, imo. Romeo is likely to bring immediate scoring to the backcourt especially with Juwan and Smith up front, and we added an experienced 40 percent career 3-Point shooter who will probably play a role similar to Zeisloft or Bielfeldt. 

Green’s and Al’s development will be important.

still, I think we’re going to see the kind of jump up as a program that we experienced in Cody’s frosh year. We have a couple of question marks, particularly at the point, but with CAM now having his system in place and the returning players having a full season under CAM, we’re set to play with much better poise and consistency. 

• 3 weeks later...

Archived