UNC Goes Before NCAA Today

23 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

"The panel is troubled by the university's shifting positions about whether academic fraud occurred on its campus and the credibility of the Cadwalader report, which it distanced itself from after initially supporting the findings. However, NCAA policy is clear. The NCAA defers to its member schools to determine whether academic fraud occurred and, ultimately, the panel is bound to making decisions within the rules set by the membership."

That's an actual quote from the report.  They defer to the member school to determine if academic fraud occurred?  That is without a doubt the dumbest thing I've ever heard.

NCAA: "Hey Calipari.  None of your players went to class but they all got straight A's.  Sounds like academic fraud to me.  What do you think?"

Calipari: "Ummmm, no?"

NCAA: "Oh, okay.  Sounds good to me!  Have a great day."

So dang maddening. You are so right!

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, rico said:

I wouldn't doubt if the FBI is already on the prowl on that.

Does anyone know what type of entity the NCAA is?  A non-profit?  A corporation?  It could have serious implications for all of college athletics if they are non-profit and have been found to be profiting in any way.

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

Does anyone know what type of entity the NCAA is?  A non-profit?  A corporation?  It could have serious implications for all of college athletics if they are non-profit and have been found to be profiting in any way.

Non-profit.

Maybe ucan explain this to me. From what I remember,  the reports were that the professors doing this were basketball fans.  Why are they not considered boosters?

If I recall correctly, even a booster giving benefits to kids not connected to the university athletics (in this case other students)  does not absolve the institution from a boosters' behavior. This isn't an institution question, to me, but rather professors giving athletes an impermissible benefit.

"The truth is a waste of time when we're conditioned to understand lies are the right way as we watch the blind leading the blind."

The above is from a song by No Use for a Name, an old punk band, but I think it perfectly fits this situation.

As an aside and as a former teacher, I've often wrestled with the notion that we teach our children to have integrity and that cheating is wrong, yet, on a daily basis, all the objective information I see tells me that is simply a value preached but not practiced.

Now, we have a major university found to be cheating and a major institution founded, almost solely, on the notion of protecting the student-athlete complicit in not only perpetuating that cheating, but by inaction, condoning it.  I always taught my students that integrity is not just what you do when nobody is watching, but also what you do when everyone is watching, and both UNC and the NCAA have failed both aspects of that mantra.

What the NCAA should have done, conclusive evidence of specific athletic department knowledge of the classes or not, is to absolutely hammer UNC.  Let them appeal, and let them win that appeal, but don't just give up and give in.  UNC had already sold it's soul to the almighty dollar, and now the NCAA has cast off whatever dignity it had remaining.

In the end, it's just another example of how winning, and more importantly, money are all that matters in today's world.

11 minutes ago, rogue3542 said:

"The truth is a waste of time when we're conditioned to understand lies are the right way as we watch the blind leading the blind."

The above is from a song by No Use for a Name, an old punk band, but I think it perfectly fits this situation.

As an aside and as a former teacher, I've often wrestled with the notion that we teach our children to have integrity and that cheating is wrong, yet, on a daily basis, all the objective information I see tells me that is simply a value preached but not practiced.

Now, we have a major university found to be cheating and a major institution founded, almost solely, on the notion of protecting the student-athlete complicit in not only perpetuating that cheating, but by inaction, condoning it.  I always taught my students that integrity is not just what you do when nobody is watching, but also what you do when everyone is watching, and both UNC and the NCAA have failed both aspects of that mantra.

What the NCAA should have done, conclusive evidence of specific athletic department knowledge of the classes or not, is to absolutely hammer UNC.  Let them appeal, and let them win that appeal, but don't just give up and give in.  UNC had already sold it's soul to the almighty dollar, and now the NCAA has cast off whatever dignity it had remaining.

In the end, it's just another example of how winning, and more importantly, money are all that matters in today's world.

Great post!

I was unwavering on this point from the beginning at our other site as we discussed this for years at great length.  UNC would get away with this.  It does not have to be this way, but the NCAA is spectacularly incompetent and corrupt.  A guy like Mark Emmert is wheeled out of academia and stays within his ivory tower cocoon.  He couldn't possibly be more unqualified to head the NCAA.  And even if he were properly put in place, you would need some brilliant, highly credentialed and experienced Bob Mueller type who could eat the Roy Williams' and the Rick Pitinos for lunch.  But, hey, he put together a "panel."  They do not have anywhere near any kind of idea of what they should be doing.  

The FBI got Al Capone on tax evasion.  OJ went down on a petty crime for taking back his own momentos.

Hopefully, the FBI takes an extra hard look at UNC's other shenanigans to find justice a different way and backfill the punishment and shame for Ole Roy.

Just now, BobSaccamanno said:

I was unwavering on this point from the beginning at our other site as we discussed this for years at great length.  UNC would get away with this.  It does not have to be this way, but the NCAA is spectacularly incompetent and corrupt.  A guy like Mark Emmert is wheeled out of academia and stays within his ivory tower cocoon.  He couldn't possibly be more unqualified to head the NCAA.  And even if he were properly put in place, you would need some brilliant, highly credentialed and experienced Bob Mueller type who could eat the Roy Williams' and the Rick Pitinos for lunch.  But, hey, he put together a "panel."  They do not have anywhere near any kind of idea of what they should be doing.  

The FBI got Al Capone on tax evasion.  OJ went down on a petty crime for taking back his own momentos.

Hopefully, the FBI takes an extra hard look at UNC's shenanigans to find justice.

One would think that if the actions of coaches giving and accepting bribes at federally funded universities is enough of a pretext to charge them with fraud, then UNC can't feel too safe about it's own legal standing in this instance.  They were actively participating in fraud for years, and, because the employees perpetrating said fraud are paid either by federal grant money or by the state, it's not inconceivable to imagine a law enforcement agency investigating it.

Message from NCAA is clear that sports makes too much money to allow academics and ethics to get in the way.

Message should be clear to IU to never, never, never turn yourself in to the NCAA.   Fight everything.

Message to Louisville is that you only need to find one non-athlete student that was part of the stripper parties and you are clear of everything.

4 minutes ago, Chad B said:

Message should be clear to IU to never, never, never turn yourself in to the NCAA.   Fight everything.

I was coming on to post exactly what you did.  The link I posted earlier in this thread spoke to this, as well.  Schools that self reported got hit with punishments.

Lesson should have been learned by all Division one schools..... never, ever self report.  And if caught, just as you said.... fight it. 

UNC last weekend held a $4 billion fund raiser.   Not a typo.... that a "B" as in billion !  Clearly they were prepared to continue the fight, if the NCAA had not caved in.  And clearly, the NCAA did not have the stomach, right or wrong, to continue the fight. At least that's my opinion.

Archived