UNC Goes Before NCAA Today

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So UNC sets up simpleton coursework designed for athletes, but lets other students enroll as well.  The NCAA basically says it's a phony-baloney class, but since non-athletes can enroll we leave it up to the institution (UNC) to determine compliance.  Everyone outside sees that the NCAA wasn't able/motivated to do anything about this skirting of the rules while those within the university claim superiority and defiant.  Yes, it does call into question the integrity of both the NCAA and UNC as an academic institution.

Well, if the NCAA wants to be consistent they should let the high schools determine validity of course work and graduation.  Universities then get to use their judgement as to the qualification of incoming players and even whether current athletes are meeting academic requirements.

54 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Interesting point here...goes to show that the member institutions are really running this show. 

image.png

Right, well said.

The difference is that NCAA is an association of a bunch of member colleges who want to be the ones who determine what counts as a course at their institution.

But member colleges don't care about high schools.

I start to wonder why I should even care about college athletics.  Integrity seems to be an endangered species in this country.  I am not totally surprised, just extremely disheartened.  Maybe college athletics never was what I wanted it to be, but now there isn’t even a shadow of a doubt; corruption, cheating and lying about all of of it, are rampant.  Makes me want to puke.

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Steve Alford appearing in a charity calendar got him suspended. Dozens of athletes getting free course credits is okay.  Hmmm.

Jeez, I'd almost forgotten about that. Got him suspended for the Kentucky game, one of the biggest non-tourney games of the year. They decided not to appeal because they were afraid the NCAA would uphold the suspension during the tourney and make Alford sit out one of the tournament games.

So, how does the whole APR thing fit into this new world? How can the NCAA hold the Academic Progress Report over the head of any program when this sham is allowed? 

Going forward, I don't see how there can be any academic standards that the NCAA can use as a means of monitoring any school 

24 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Good find.  Thanks for that.  And after reading that, I have come up with an idea that all D-1 programs could use to save money,  should the NCAA come after them.   Just get rid of the compliance department.  No need for it, after today.  Put the money saved in salaries and put it towards a legal defense fund. 

5 hours ago, Mac said:

Consider this as precedent. Just set up a bunch of phony courses for the athletes, let two or three non-athletes enroll in them, and you're good to go. If anyone raises a fuss, cite the UNC case. Slick. It's gonna happen.

There has always been easy classes in college. What was the old joke about taking underwater basket weaving.  I had a friend who took 3 summer classes and two were tennis and bowling and he was not an athlete.

In related news, NC ST player ineligible for attending class too early.

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21011070/ncaa-declares-nc-state-wolfpack-freshman-braxton-beverly-ineligible-2017-18-season

This seems like something you'd read off the Onion after yesterday's UNC ruling.  Players need to start skipping class altogether. 

1 hour ago, dbmhoosier said:

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/21011070/ncaa-declares-nc-state-wolfpack-freshman-braxton-beverly-ineligible-2017-18-season

This seems like something you'd read off the Onion after yesterday's UNC ruling.  Players need to start skipping class altogether. 

Well, that's what he gets for letting kids take bogus classes.

11 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

This is absolutely mind-boggling that these two events happen on the heels of each other (no pun intended).  

You can't tell me that the decision makers at the NCAA can realistically even attempt to rationalize the outcomes of these two events.

11 hours ago, HR4IU said:

A question- using the logic of the NCAA can’t intervene because the courses were available to all students- if shoe company money was made “available “ to all students can those who accept it be declared ineligible?

That's a really good question.  I just find it hard to understand the logic of the NCAA who, have in the past 10 years, penalized 15 schools because of academic malfeasance, and let UNC go free.  Just does not make sense to me.

Plus... welcome to Hoosier Sports Nation !

Archived