Darius Garland

iRepIU

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

A lot of fretting about why Garland would choose Vandy over IU.  Yet, by choosing either of those two schools, no one seems to be blinking an eye that he would also be saying no to Duke, UK, and UCLA.    

UCLA is a million miles away and he has no connection to the area.  Duke and UK both have 5 star PGs committed and are not under consideration.   It's not rocket science. 

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

UCLA is a million miles away and he has no connection to the area.  Duke and UK both have 5 star PGs committed and are not under consideration.   It's not rocket science. 

So, let's apply that logic to Romeo.  Throw out UCLA because it's too far.  But, bring Duke, UNC, UK, and Kansas into play because none of them have a 5 star SG committed for the class.  

So, we expect Romeo to choose IU because....why, it's the home state school, of course.

I'm going to echo what mile said here.

In Rabjohns' article, two things stuck out. One, he said the coaching staff was really important to him. The only coach he named was Ed Schilling. Two, he said that he wanted to go to school for broadcasting. Guess which of his final four schools offer a degree in broadcasting?

Personally, I feel more confident after catching sight of Rabjohns' article.

49 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

So, let's apply that logic to Romeo.  Throw out UCLA because it's too far.  But, bring Duke, UNC, UK, and Kansas into play because none of them have a 5 star SG committed for the class.  

So, we expect Romeo to choose IU because....why, it's the home state school, of course.

If Vandy had 5 national titles your argument would make some sense.  They have never won anything in anything as far as I know.   Your argument makes no sense. 

5 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

If Vandy had 5 national titles your argument would make some sense.  They have never won anything in anything as far as I know.   Your argument makes no sense. 

And, it's quite possible that Darius feels that the argument about what happened in 1987 (13 years before he was born) makes no sense either.  I was born in 1965.  11 years before I was born, LaSalle won the NCAA tournament.  15 years before I was born, CCNY won the championship.  I wasn't a 5 star recruit in 1983, but if I had been, I would not have been looking at either of those schools just because they won a championship years ago.

If we want to talk about facilities, then yes, IU has the lead.  But, some of teh arguments I'm seeing don't hold up.  Recent success, the SEC vs. Big Ten, etc. no longer have the meaning they once did.

27 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

In Rabjohns' article, two things stuck out. One, he said the coaching staff was really important to him. The only coach he named was Ed Schilling. Two, he said that he wanted to go to school for broadcasting. Guess which of his final four schools offer a degree in broadcasting?

I agree. 

I have been thinking this one is a toss up, but I like IU's chances. This article and hearing what Darius has to say, It sure sounded like more things were benefiting IU than Vandy. It is going to be an interesting finish, and in the end, I think IU lands him.. But I would not be surprised one bit if it was Vandy. 

The decision will be here before we know it.

55 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

Just completed an internet search for Vanderbilt.  They do offer CLASSES for communication.  However I could not find that they have a tv or radio station on campus.

My friend from high school and room mate at IU, graduated from IU with a degree in radio and tv broadcasting.  He worked over 40 years in radio... all over the world.  Ending up with his own shows in New York, for years for NPR.

Not sure if IU still offers a specific degree in radio and broadcasting.  I think they call it something else.

However IU still has a tv station.... which my roommate worked at :

WTIU Public Television | News, Arts and Children's Programs from Indiana University Bloomington | Indiana Public Media

And a radio station, which my roommate also worked at :

WFIU - Wikipedia

And I worked off campus at pure student radio, WIUS, now known at WIUX.

WIUX | Pure Student Radio

Combine all of that with the renowned Indiana School of Journalism inside of Ernie Pyle Hall.... and if Darius is truly interested in broadcasting.... the final decision should be clear to him.

34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

And, it's quite possible that Darius feels that the argument about what happened in 1987 (13 years before he was born) makes no sense either.  I was born in 1965.  11 years before I was born, LaSalle won the NCAA tournament.  15 years before I was born, CCNY won the championship.  I wasn't a 5 star recruit in 1983, but if I had been, I would not have been looking at either of those schools just because they won a championship years ago.

If we want to talk about facilities, then yes, IU has the lead.  But, some of teh arguments I'm seeing don't hold up.  Recent success, the SEC vs. Big Ten, etc. no longer have the meaning they once did.

It's not just 1987.  We have multiple conference titles in the last 5 years and that was with Crean.  When was the last time Vandy won the SEC?  Our TV ratings are as high as anyone's.   I doubt hardly anyone even watches the Vandy games when they're on.  If Darius came to IU virtually everyone in Bloomington would know who he is before classes even started next year.  It would be the opposite at Vandy.  I could go on and on.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's not just 1987.  We have multiple conference titles in the last 5 years and that was with Crean.  When was the last time Vandy won the SEC?  Are TV ratings are as high as anyone's.   I doubt hardly anyone even watches the Vandy games when they're on.  If Darius came to IU virtually everyone in Bloomington would know who he is before classes even started next year.  It would be the opposite at Vandy.  I could go on and on.

Spot on.  Our success over the past decade totally blows Vandy out of the water, not to mention everything else.  And we have more than 3x as many players in the NBA currently.

3 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Spot on.  Our success over the past decade totally blows Vandy out of the water.

Two Regular Season Conference Championships (Vandy has a Conference Tourney Championship) and 2 Sweet 16's is not 'blowing out of the water'.  I'm too lazy, but I suspect if you count total victories over the last 10 years, Vandy may even be ahead.

12 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's not just 1987.  We have multiple conference titles in the last 5 years and that was with Crean.  When was the last time Vandy won the SEC?  Our TV ratings are as high as anyone's.   I doubt hardly anyone even watches the Vandy games when they're on.  If Darius came to IU virtually everyone in Bloomington would know who he is before classes even started next year.  It would be the opposite at Vandy.  I could go on and on.

1992 - 93 was the last time Vandy won the SEC. 

4 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Based on what I  have just been told by a very good friend of mine.... two things that may tip this 50/50 battle between IU and Vanderbilt, are :

Which Schools Offer a Sports Broadcasting Degree?

And

Insider: New IU assistant Ed Schilling jumped at homecoming opportunity

Well these types of developments sure don't stink. Guess we'll know within a week. I refuse to let myself get really up for a kid but it seems like all signs point to us. With that said...kids change their mind 20x per day. Can't imagine the pressure this kid and family are under.

2 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Two Regular Season Conference Championships (Vandy has a Conference Tourney Championship) and 2 Sweet 16's is not 'blowing out of the water'.  I'm too lazy, but I suspect if you count total victories over the last 10 years, Vandy may even be ahead.

You mean two regular season conference championships and three Sweet 16s, along with a #1 seed and more wins over ranked teams than all but a couple teams in the country.  Vanderbilt has a total of one tournament win in the past decade.  No way has Vandy even come close to the success that IU has had over the last 10 seasons.

I'm just shocked that we're actually having to debate a fellow iu fan in terms of comparing Vanderbilt basketball to Indiana basketball. Get real - there's no comparison. NOBODY cares about Vanderbilt basketball other than a select few, and they have nothing to show either. All other things aside, in terms of speaking basketball, it should be simple - Indiana. 

1 minute ago, Hoosier987 said:

I'm just shocked that we're actually having to debate a fellow iu fan in terms of comparing Vanderbilt basketball to Indiana basketball. Get real - there's no comparison. NOBODY cares about Vanderbilt basketball other than a select few 

And, I can't believe you think you know what's better for Darius Garland than the young man himself.  Geez.  

Just now, 5fouls said:

And, I can't believe you think you know what's better for Darius Garland than the young man himself.  Geez.  

I'm never insinuating what's best for Darius. If he goes to Vandy, i won't lose sleep. But to be spewing off stats to try and compare Vanderbilt basketball to Indiana to make a case of why he would choose Vanderbilt is a weak argument. You're better off saying that Vandy is his hometown and leave it at that, cause quite frankly I'm not sure Vanderbilt has another pitch.

I can see both sides of this debate, although I am amongst those who believe IU is head and shoulders above Vandy.  Maybe that’s me wearing the Crimson shades, but I would think most people would agree.  Whatever happens, I’m just glad we’re in the mix for some of these top recruits right from the get go after a coaching change.  Truth be told, I thought it would take a year for Archie to get his recruiting going, but he’s pretty much hit the ground running.

Well, I hope no one would fault the young man for staying home. There is something special about that (regardless of school), but there isn't an argument between the two basketball programs historical or current. That doesn't mean DG is wrong for staying home if that's what he wants to do. 

14 minutes ago, Jacarcio said:

Well, I hope no one would fault the young man for staying home. There is something special about that (regardless of school), but there isn't an argument between the two basketball programs historical or current. That doesn't mean DG is wrong for staying home if that's what he wants to do. 

Exactly.  If Garland ends up picking Vanderbilt, it won’t be because they’ve been more successful than IU as of late.

5 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Based on what I  have just been told by a very good friend of mine.... two things that may tip this 50/50 battle between IU and Vanderbilt, are :

Which Schools Offer a Sports Broadcasting Degree?

And

Insider: New IU assistant Ed Schilling jumped at homecoming opportunity

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just completed an internet search for Vanderbilt.  They do offer CLASSES for communication.  However I could not find that they have a tv or radio station on campus.

My friend from high school and room mate at IU, graduated from IU with a degree in radio and tv broadcasting.  He worked over 40 years in radio... all over the world.  Ending up with his own shows in New York, for years for NPR.

Not sure if IU still offers a specific degree in radio and broadcasting.  I think they call it something else.

However IU still has a tv station.... which my roommate worked at :

WTIU Public Television | News, Arts and Children's Programs from Indiana University Bloomington | Indiana Public Media

And a radio station, which my roommate also worked at :

WFIU - Wikipedia

And I worked off campus at pure student radio, WIUS, now known at WIUX.

WIUX | Pure Student Radio

Combine all of that with the renowned Indiana School of Journalism inside of Ernie Pyle Hall.... and if Darius is truly interested in broadcasting.... the final decision should be clear to him.

Got it all figured out.... Just send Darius a copy of this IU TV commercial with ESPNs Sage Steele in it!

Done deal....

Archived