Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
12 hours ago, 5fouls said:

And, I can't believe you think you know what's better for Darius Garland than the young man himself.  Geez.  

IMO, you are doing the exact same thing.... only with far less to stand on when doing so. Vandy has exactly two advantages I can see: proximity and a longer term relationship with Coach Drew. He may end up choosing Vandy and I certainly wouldn't blame him if he did but things look very good for IU. IMO, if he were actually leaning Vandy as some suggest, he would have already scheduled an announcement date. 

5 minutes ago, hoosierBGH said:

IMO, you are doing the exact same thing.... only with far less to stand on when doing so. Vandy has exactly two advantages I can see: proximity and a longer term relationship with Coach Drew. He may end up choosing Vandy and I certainly wouldn't blame him if he did but things look very good for IU. IMO, if he were actually leaning Vandy as some suggest, he would have already scheduled an announcement date. 

Umm.  No.  I'm not proposing he got to Vandy at all.  What I was stating throughout all of the posts is that IU fans take off their rose-colored glasses and at least try to understand that there may be legitimate reasons why the young man may want to go to Vandy.  And, playing for the hometown school is just one, but there could very well be others.  But, even if the hometown school thing is the ONLY reason, if it's the one that matters to him, then who are we to judge.  And, that's exactly what some were doing. 

I feel like there are alot of voices that are close to DG that are giving their input when being asked about the situation, and some people are running with it regardless if its true or not.

If he chooses Vandy it sucks but we still have a really good recruiting class incoming, plus possibly Romeo.  I think the outlook for the future for him as a person and player is better should he choose IU.  We shall see here soon!  

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

Umm.  No.  I'm not proposing he got to Vandy at all.  What I was stating throughout all of the posts is that IU fans take off their rose-colored glasses and at least try to understand that there may be legitimate reasons why the young man may want to go to Vandy.  And, playing for the hometown school is just one, but there could very well be others.  But, even if the hometown school thing is the ONLY reason, if it's the one that matters to him, then who are we to judge.  And, that's exactly what some were doing. 

I don't think many people are disagreeing with you that Vandy does have the home field advantage or that there are a whole slew of other reasons he would want to go there. He has friends that are going there to play football, I believe. He may like their colors better than Cream and Crimson. He may have a girlfriend who won't give it up when he talks about going to IU. We don't know.

What we are saying is if you only look at basketball reasons (team, league, facilities, television exposure) it all favors IU. With DG and RL, we have a legitimate shot to win the B1G and make a deep run in the NCAA tournament next year by adding to what Archie already has coming in. If Vandy gets DG, RL, and Shittu, they are still going to be looking up at Kentucky in the SEC and won't have the solid 4* players around them that he would have at IU. I intentionally left the coaches out of it because I do not know the relationship the Garland's have with each staff. That too could favor Vandy, but it sounds like Archie has not done anything to hurt himself with them throughout this process.

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

I haven't seen anyone judging him either way, quite the contrary I've seen a lot of people say that IU is clearly the better choice but they would understand him choosing Vandy. Let's be honest, from a purely basketball standpoint, IU is the far better choice and it is not even close. I doubt any reasonable Vandy fan would even attempt to argue that. However, it is more than just a basketball decision, which most seem to recognize. 

Found this on one of the other sites:

https://basketballrecruiting.rivals.com/news/live-signing-week-blog-

Five-star point guard Darius Garland  isn't likely to sign on the first day of the early signing period, but it won't be long before he chooses between his finalists of Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA and Vanderbilt.

Garland's father Winston told Rivals.com that his son is very close to a decision and that he will decide before the end of the early signing period.

“We want to do it ASAP," Garland's father told Rivals.com. "Hopefully towards the end of this week or early next week.

“His mom and I and his brother we’ve been talking about it and what he’s got left are some great choices. We want him to lead with his heart and also you know the business aspect is a huge part of it. We just want him to be sure."

Speculation has been that Indiana and Vanderbilt have emerged from the pack. The elder Garland didn't hint at any leaders but did confirm that the family has had lots of discussion and that he thinks Darius is pretty focused in on one program over the others and should be ready to announce sooner than later.

“I’m sure he’s got one at the top of his list and that is in his heart," said Garland. "We had a really good sit down Friday night where we weighed out the pros and cons of each. It was our second time doing it.

“He’s enjoyed it all and I’m sure he’s ready to make his decision soon. I think he knew a few weeks ago where his heart was and now it’s just the formality of finalizing the decision and announcing.”

– Bossi

9 minutes ago, IUaic said:

Five-star point guard Darius Garland  isn't likely to sign on the first day of the early signing period, but it won't be long before he chooses between his finalists of Indiana, Kentucky, UCLA and Vanderbilt.

Garland's father Winston told Rivals.com that his son is very close to a decision and that he will decide before the end of the early signing period.

“We want to do it ASAP," Garland's father told Rivals.com. "Hopefully towards the end of this week or early next week.

“His mom and I and his brother we’ve been talking about it and what he’s got left are some great choices. We want him to lead with his heart and also you know the business aspect is a huge part of it. We just want him to be sure."

Speculation has been that Indiana and Vanderbilt have emerged from the pack. The elder Garland didn't hint at any leaders but did confirm that the family has had lots of discussion and that he thinks Darius is pretty focused in on one program over the others and should be ready to announce sooner than later.

“I’m sure he’s got one at the top of his list and that is in his heart," said Garland. "We had a really good sit down Friday night where we weighed out the pros and cons of each. It was our second time doing it.

“He’s enjoyed it all and I’m sure he’s ready to make his decision soon. I think he knew a few weeks ago where his heart was and now it’s just the formality of finalizing the decision and announcing.”

– Bossi

This sounds good for Indiana, but Bossi was one saying Vanderbilt.... Interesting.

10 minutes ago, IUaic said:

– Bossi

Yesterday Bossi and some other experts all picked Garland to Vandy. If they think he has his heart set on a team for over two weeks it sounds like that would be IU since HH was over two weeks ago.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday Bossi and some other experts all picked Garland to Vandy. If they think he has his heart set on a team for over two weeks it sounds like that would be IU since HH was over two weeks ago.

Exactly.  I don't know how anyone could think this article could favor Vandy.  To me, this is for IU: of course Bossi picked Vandy but I think he -- and for that matter, a lot of writers -- could be getting fed smoke.

Wasn’t the rumor before HH that Garland had already told Vandy coaches or players that he was going to commit there?  If so, that could be what his dad was referring to in that interview.

As far as the reasons he might pick Vandy over IU, I think the presence of Green and Phinisee on the roster are probably a negative for us.  He won’t have any competition for playing time at Vandy.

8 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I honestly don't feel great about it. Shittu cancelled his UNC visit so he's prob Vandy bound. I'm thinking that helps Vandys chances in landing Garland. 

Not saying you are right or wrong but what are you basing it  on.  Is it just about Shittu and him probably going there or something else.  I guess you can look at those comments about him having his heart set on one program for a couple of weeks. One HH was a couple of weeks ago and that made him want IU. On the other hand maybe he was a Vandy lean and HH did not doing anything to change his mind.

15 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

I honestly don't feel great about it. Shittu cancelled his UNC visit so he's prob Vandy bound. I'm thinking that helps Vandys chances in landing Garland. 

Honestly, in all reality, I think it doesn't make a big difference where Shittu goes.  Garland is going to go where he feels best. Time will tell!!

1 minute ago, jefftheref said:

I know nothing and I have zero contacts but I don't see Garland coming to Indiana. I also have a feeling that Langford will go elsewhere. Nothing against Coach Miller just my gut feeling. I hope I am wrong but I just don't see it happening for us. 

maybe it is just gas that causing your gut this problem.  Right now I think we get Romeo but not as confident with Garland.

39 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Wasn’t the rumor before HH that Garland had already told Vandy coaches or players that he was going to commit there?  If so, that could be what his dad was referring to in that interview.

As far as the reasons he might pick Vandy over IU, I think the presence of Green and Phinisee on the roster are probably a negative for us.  He won’t have any competition for playing time at Vandy.

I cannot ever remember a 5 star kid not picking a program because he was concerned over the competition from kids already on the roster. Maybe when you have multiple 5 stars vying for the same recruiting slot, but I have never heard a kid of the caliber of Darius say he was afraid he couldn't beat out kids of lesser stature. Kids like Garland think they are going to play right away, and that it's the other kids ( Green/Phinisee) who will have to adapt.

Archived