Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I cannot ever remember a 5 star kid not picking a program because he was concerned over the competition from kids already on the roster. Maybe when you have multiple 5 stars vying for the same recruiting slot, but I have never heard a kid of the caliber of Darius say he was afraid he couldn't beat out kids of lesser stature. Kids like Garland think they are going to play right away, and that it's the other kids ( Green/Phinisee) who will have to adapt.

Agree. If Garland can't start over those two or has any hesitation because IU's already got those two, he's not a top 10 player in his class nor an NBA material. Real ballplaya embraces fierce competition and improves his game.

10 minutes ago, Jerry Lundergaard said:

I cannot ever remember a 5 star kid not picking a program because he was concerned over the competition from kids already on the roster. Maybe when you have multiple 5 stars vying for the same recruiting slot, but I have never heard a kid of the caliber of Darius say he was afraid he couldn't beat out kids of lesser stature. Kids like Garland think they are going to play right away, and that it's the other kids ( Green/Phinisee) who will have to adapt.

Blackmon / Booker. 

NM. Recruiting slot / position. I see see what you’re saying now.

40 minutes ago, Hoosier987 said:

Honestly, in all reality, I think it doesn't make a big difference where Shittu goes.  Garland is going to go where he feels best. Time will tell!!

He's already been quoted in saying he hopes Vandy lands Shittu and Romeo and common sense tells you he's going to want other talent at Vandy (who has little to none currently) in order to feel confident that Vandy is the correct choice. If Shittu commits I'd say he's 75% going to Vandy, if Romeo agrees to also go he's 100%. IU needs Vandy to miss on these two in my opinion. I'd have a hard time understanding why he'd want these two guys to commit to Vandy if he wasn't wanting to do the same, especially when Romeo is an IU lean and he could just as easily come here.

I was reading that quote about Vandy as if it were the Vandy coaches telling him "we hope for Romeo, Shittu." - just my 2 cents 

8 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

He's already been quoted in saying he hopes Vandy lands Shittu and Romeo and common sense tells you he's going to want other talent at Vandy (who has little to none currently) in order to feel confident that Vandy is the correct choice. If Shittu commits I'd say he's 75% going to Vandy, if Romeo agrees to also go he's 100%. IU needs Vandy to miss on these two in my opinion. I'd have a hard time understanding why he'd want these two guys to commit to Vandy if he wasn't wanting to do the same, especially when Romeo is an IU lean and he could just as easily come here.

11 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

That was not a quote from Garland but the sales pitch Vandy had to Garland.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

That was not a quote from Garland but the sales pitch Vandy had to Garland.

Ah,...not a carefully written article at all. Would have been nice if the reporter called that out because as it reads it just says that Garland told him that he hopes Vandy lands both and has a big role. Not until he says "be a leader, score and get my teammates the ball" does it turn hypothetical. I guess we'll all soon find out what exactly this kid's motivation is once he announces. 

2 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

Rabjohns just posted a story and tweeted out the headline that Garland is focused on 1 school his had told Peegs staff.  I am not a member so I have no idea what is in the article.

Winston Garland told Peegs that Darius is down to one school and a decision could come tomorrow, Friday, or Monday I believe.

2 minutes ago, bstall76 said:

As a last ditch effort or to solidify and verify the commitment?

I was told this last week. Archie knew the dead period dates.  And I was told this, before the Garland's sat down this past Friday to hammer out the pluses and minuses of the remaining schools on his list. 

Zagoria tweeted to expect a singing either Friday or Monday.

Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) | Twitter

4 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

I was told this last week. Archie knew the dead period dates.  And I was told this, before the Garland's sat down this past Friday to hammer out the pluses and minuses of the remaining schools on his list. 

Zagoria tweeted to expect a singing either Friday or Monday.

Adam Zagoria (@AdamZagoria) | Twitter

so based off of what you are saying do you take that as a good thing?

Archived