Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I highly doubt most of his school cares if he goes to Vandy. Most of them will also be going elsewhere. 

I live in Knoxville for College and have a buddy who goes to school in Nashville and I also worked in Nashville this summer and there never seemed to be a big Vanderbilt crowd and if there is they are not very outward about their fan hood (Signs, Car stickers, etc.) so I feel the announcing at his school isn't a large deal. 

44 minutes ago, iuvol said:

Living in Nashville would not be like living in Bloomington and going someplace else. Many, many football players are from Nashville and go elsewhere and they announce in their schools. I am not saying he will got to IU, I don't have a feel for him on way or the other but I wouldn't write off IU because he is announcing at his high school.

Good post.  :cheers:

An announcement coinciding with the Seton Hall game COULD be a positive. If the Garland family has put serious thought into the timing, and genuinely respects IU and coach Miller, would you really want the bottom line during an IU game to have breaking news that a major recruit turned IU down?  Or, we could have the excitement during our game of seeing great news rolling through the bottom line repeatedly.  Just a thought.  Fun to speculate. 

3 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

An announcement coinciding with the Seton Hall game COULD be a positive. If the Garland family has put serious thought into the timing, and genuinely respects IU and coach Miller, would you really want the bottom line during an IU game to have breaking news that a major recruit turned IU down?  Or, we could have the excitement during our game of seeing great news rolling through the bottom line repeatedly.  Just a thought.  Fun to speculate. 

Great first post. And thought provoking as well. Just as you say.  

Fun... that's what HSN 3.0 is all about.  Just IU fans coming together.  And thanks for your first post.  Hope to see many, many more from you in the future.

9 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Another key aspect is when he plans on notifying the coaching staffs? I’m sure we won’t be privy to that, but could you imagine calling a coach an hour before a big game to say “Hey Coach, I know you’re preparing for the big game, but wanted to call and say thanks, but no thanks.”

I will say the Crystal Ball predictions sure have shifted to Vanderbilt in the last few days. 69% to Vanderbilt. One thing I find odd that makes me question the CB is Duke is now ahead of Indiana.

As Mile has pointed out, I guess the most important is Jerry Meyer, and he has not wavered in his pick of Garland to IU. Mile I guess you still see that as a really positive sign? I just don't think it matters where he is going to announce where he is going. They just want to be around the students and friends who have supported him, whatever decision they make. At least I would hope so.

2 hours ago, Iuprof said:

I will say the Crystal Ball predictions sure have shifted to Vanderbilt in the last few days. 69% to Vanderbilt. One thing I find odd that makes me question the CB is Duke is now ahead of Indiana.

As Mile has pointed out, I guess the most important is Jerry Meyer, and he has not wavered in his pick of Garland to IU. Mile I guess you still see that as a really positive sign? I just don't think it matters where he is going to announce where he is going. They just want to be around the students and friends who have supported him, whatever decision they make. At least I would hope so.

As mentioned in my previous post, announcing at his school probably means nothing in terms of what school he is going to choose, as the announcement location is most logical. 

Regarding CB, I would not put too much stock into that right now. It has been widely known that the Garlands have been very good at keeping this decision close to their vest. Also, what about the Duke picks? We know he's not going there as it's between us and Vanderbilt - what do these "Duke" pickers actually think? Lastly, although I enjoy looking at crystal ball, they're not always right. I believe it was a recent commit to another school (maybe Jarred Vanderbilt of UK) where 75% of the pickers had him going to another school.  I guess what I'm saying is don't take crystal ball at face value, especially in a recruitment like this. IMO, if Darius has been set on one school for a few weeks then that should favor us

I also like the theories regarding the announcement right at our tip off for Seton Hall. I was thinking, that if he announced today that would have given him a nice opportunity to visit Vandy for their first game this weekend or if he made the announcement on Monday he could go to their game (I think Belmont) right after - so if we were to look at it this way, Wednesday could favor us 😉.

3 hours ago, Iuprof said:

It has been my observation that Mr. Meyer either stays with a pick, or changes his pick very late in the process.  And more times than not, when he changes his pick very late in the process, he is correct.  So, yes.... the fact that Mr. Meyer has yet to change his pick is something that I consider to be a positive in terms of IU.

By the way.... great to hear from you.  Hope the school year is going well for you. 

8 hours ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Garland's father's timeline was always "Darius needs to choose before his first basketball game." First game of the year is Tuesday.

They chose Wednesday for a reason; it's not to have more time to make a decision. That could mean nothing - but it's much more interesting than the fact that he's making an announcement at his high school (no one at his high school is going to react negatively to his choice either way).

10 hours ago, dbmhoosier said:

The fact that Romeo will have Vandy in his top 3 should speak volumes.   He wouldn't even give them a thought without Garland and I'd be shocked if Romeo didn't have a good idea as to where Darius was heading at this point.

We don't know whether Romeo has Vandy in his top 3. It will be interesting to see if he does. Even if he has Vandy in the top 3, I'm not sure it sends as strong a message as you say - the stronger message would be if he omits Vandy.

If people do believe that announcement location means something (I don't) the time of 530 could actually work in our favor. Won't be as many students around. Can't imagine many waiting for 2-3 hours after school to hear an announcement. So the Garland's chose 5:30 so they don't have a large booing contingent there when he chooses IU. Hahaha.

3 hours ago, Hoosier987 said:

Regarding CB, I would not put too much stock into that right now. It has been widely known that the Garlands have been very good at keeping this decision close to their vest. Also, what about the Duke picks? We know he's not going there as it's between us and Vanderbilt - what do these "Duke" pickers actually think? Lastly, although I enjoy looking at crystal ball, they're not always right. I believe it was a recent commit to another school (maybe Jarred Vanderbilt of UK) where 75% of the pickers had him going to another school.  I guess what I'm saying is don't take crystal ball at face value, especially in a recruitment like this. IMO, if Darius has been set on one school for a few weeks then that should favor us

If I wanted to put in the effort on a major troll job, I could have a Garland Crystal Ball pick for Montana State by the end of the weekend.  Many of those guys have no better clue as to what's going on than we do.

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

If people do believe that announcement location means something (I don't) the time of 530 could actually work in our favor. Won't be as many students around. Can't imagine many waiting for 2-3 hours after school to hear an announcement. So the Garland's chose 5:30 so they don't have a large booing contingent there when he chooses IU. Hahaha.

Is it 5:30 Central?  Nashville is on Central time.

8 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Great first post. And thought provoking as well. Just as you say.  

Fun... that's what HSN 3.0 is all about.  Just IU fans coming together.  And thanks for your first post.  Hope to see many, many more from you in the future.

Thanks Mile!   I posted on the other boards, and was glad to find you guys again.  I'm the poster that lives right by the high school Trendon Watford attends in Birmingham.  Look forward to watching him and sharing some thoughts this year.

21 minutes ago, Hoosierinbham said:

Thanks Mile!   I posted on the other boards, and was glad to find you guys again.  I'm the poster that lives right by the high school Trendon Watford attends in Birmingham.  Look forward to watching him and sharing some thoughts this year.

That sounds great.  Keep us posted on Trendon's progress !

11 hours ago, bstall76 said:
More

Five-star guard Darius Garland will announce his college choice on Wednesday at 5:30 CT at Brentwood Academy, his father tells @247Sports.

8:45 PM - 9 Nov 2017 from Nashville, TN

Brentwood TN is also the home of 247sports.  Coincidence? Hmmm, I think not.  Let the conspiracy theories run amok!!!

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The key takeaway for me from the announcement date is that he is doing it right before IU plays Seton Hall. Could have done it on Monday, as the Garlands said would be the latest announcement date, before Vandy's game. But they chose not to.

So in your opinion, is this a positive or negative for IU?  Just wondering your thoughts, as others have spun it a couple of different ways.

3 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

The key takeaway for me from the announcement date is that he is doing it right before IU plays Seton Hall. Could have done it on Monday, as the Garlands said would be the latest announcement date, before Vandy's game. But they chose not to.

I had the same thought in that it was originally believed they would be announcing Friday or Monday.  His father also indicated that DG had already made a decision earlier this week and that they were just looking for the right time/place to announce.  I just wonder why Wednesday seems like the most appropriate time, given that he already knows and if he wanted to do it before and IU game, I'd think he could do it tonight which would coincide with the original plan.  Ugh, I've been watching National Treasure too much.  Nick Cage is getting to me!

Archived