Darius Garland

iRepIU

Darius who?

Even in short timeframe, IU and its fanbase did their absolute best to recruit this kid. But in the end, it turned out that we were not even his 2nd choice. There was a good chance we were played by Garlands all along. Plus, for Darius, coming to HH helped him to get closer to Romeo. 

I know I'm still posting on this thread but I wish this thread was locked.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 11/30/2017 at 9:47 AM, milehiiu said:

Good point.  There were more than a dozen NBA scouts in AH for the Duke game.  I wonder if that will happen at Vandy this season. 

No, but if Romeo picks Vandy (maybe even if he doesn't), there will likely be at least that many or more at the Vandy/UK game.

And as far as exposure, if they get Langford, they'd be a team with 3 top 15 recruits , another top 125 recruit, two more top 150 recruits from this year (one is a PG averaging 6 points, 3 assists).  That has the potential of being a very good team, and there would be plenty of exposure.  If they were able to lead that team to one of the top teams in the SEC, and win a couple games in the tourney, there is a good chance all 3 of those guys would be 1st round picks with the potential of being high first rounders.  Depending on how well they play together, they could even be a team that makes a deep run in March.

People really don't think 3 high ranked freshman playing together and turning an SEC doormat into a contender would get headlines?  It would make for a great story and they'd be NCAA darlings if they made a deep run.

I would love Langford as much as the next guy, but IU isn't his only chance at being a super star.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

No, but if Romeo picks Vandy (maybe even if he doesn't), there will likely be at least that many or more at the Vandy/UK game.

And as far as exposure, if they get Langford, they'd be a team with 3 top 15 recruits , another top 125 recruit, two more top 150 recruits from this year (one is a PG averaging 6 points, 3 assists).  That has the potential of being a very good team, and there would be plenty of exposure.  If they were able to lead that team to one of the top teams in the SEC, and win a couple games in the tourney, there is a good chance all 3 of those guys would be 1st round picks with the potential of being high first rounders.  Depending on how well they play together, they could even be a team that makes a deep run in March.

People really don't think 3 high ranked freshman playing together and turning an SEC doormat into a contender would get headlines?  It would make for a great story and they'd be NCAA darlings if they made a deep run.

I would love Langford as much as the next guy, but IU isn't his only chance at being a super star.

I thought of the UK connection when I posted what I did.  Honestly, I did.  LOL.  However, I discounted that, thinking the NBA scouts would be showing up to view the UK kids, and not the Vandy kids. 

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

I thought of the UK connection when I posted what I did.  Honestly, I did.  LOL.  However, I discounted that, thinking the NBA scouts would be showing up to view the UK kids, and not the Vandy kids. 

That might be true, but there weren't more than a dozen scouts there last night to watch IU.  They mostly came to watch Duke.

3 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

They mostly came to watch Duke.

No. NOOO. Please tell me that isn't so !   LOL 

Seriously....

I think they were there to see Duke's freshman phenom. And to check out De'Ron.  They already know about Allen. And they did not get much of an opportunity to really check out De'Ron last year, as they were checking out TB, who got the spotlight in center for IU.  Now it's De'Ron's time to shine. 

10 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

No. NOOO. Please tell me that isn't so !   LOL 

Seriously....

I think they were there to see Duke's freshman phenom. And to check out De'Ron.  They already know about Allen. And they did not get much of an opportunity to really check out De'Ron last year, as they were checking out TB, who got the spotlight in center for IU.  Now it's De'Ron's time to shine. 

My bad.

I think it was a mix (but mostly to see Duke lol)

10 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

That might be true, but there weren't more than a dozen scouts there last night to watch IU.  They mostly came to watch Duke.

26 NBA Scouts in the building. you would have to think DeRon will show up on some boards after that game.

Davis is working himself into better positioning with the scouts. He's not showing the athleticism, however, for a first-round NBA prospect right now.

The NBA right now has moved away from bigs who are not running, athletic multi-positional players. Davis also needs to develop a consistent knock-down 12-14 footer. That would help him, and our ability to space the floor better. 

Not a knock on Davis, love his upside, and he's on a good path with seriously trimming down and getting his conditioning going, but he's not a serious NBA prospect right now.

On scouting generally, being at IU is a real plus. If you're a legit NBA prospect and you play for IU, you will get scouted numerous times over the season both in practice and in games, and as the team gets back into national contention -- top 25 -- tons of exposure. But it's also true that if you're elite and playing with some other elite players, and especially if you're on a top 25 or so team, you're going to get the scouting. 

2 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Davis is working himself into better positioning with the scouts. He's not showing the athleticism, however, for a first-round NBA prospect right now.

The NBA right now has moved away from bigs who are not running, athletic multi-positional players. Davis also needs to develop a consistent knock-down 12-14 footer. That would help him, and our ability to space the floor better. 

Not a knock on Davis, love his upside, and he's on a good path with seriously trimming down and getting his conditioning going, but he's not a serious NBA prospect right now.

On scouting generally, being at IU is a real plus. If you're a legit NBA prospect and you play for IU, you will get scouted numerous times over the season both in practice and in games, and as the team gets back into national contention -- top 25 -- tons of exposure. But it's also true that if you're elite and playing with some other elite players, and especially if you're on a top 25 or so team, you're going to get the scouting. 

Agreed.  DeRon had a solid game against Duke when he was on the floor, but I don’t think that game is going to turn the heads of many scouts.  He played 3 minutes in the first half.  He only had 16 and 5 in 21 total minutes played.  At this point, DeRon looks like a 3 year player at least, and probably 4 IMO.  The NBA isn’t really looking for slow-footed, groundbound post scorers.  DeRon’s defense, conditioning, and athleticism just aren’t there yet.  But he’s going to be a really good player for us now and in the future.

Click around a bit... There are some awful things going on in Brentwood Academy's locker rooms.  And it appears the "adults" at Brentwood are less than exemplary. 

http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/2017/08/09/lawsuit-brentwood-academy-officials-refused-report-repeated-rapes-and-assaults-12-year-old-boy/552578001/

While the news release stated this incident wasn't of the same disgusting nature... Darius' suspension doesn't reflect positively on him.  And the most recent incident was serious enough to prompt the cancellation of a varsity basketball game.    http://www.tennessean.com/story/news/local/williamson/brentwood/2017/12/07/brentwood-academy-suspends-boys-basketball-players-after-new-locker-room-incident/928264001/

I'm shocked as I had no idea this was going on at Darius' school... and the history of the worst incident aligns with Darius' class progression over the last few years.  YIKES!

• 1 year later...

Just went to Cleveland. Well above what will most likely be Romeo.  Time is strange.  Kid only played five D-1 games. Yet was picked high.  Grew up in Gary, Indiana.  Was nice to see he, and his dad who had an NBA career, and coached Gary West High School afterwards.  And played HS ball at Gary Roosevelt.  Two Gary schools that still exist.

Sorry that he did not choose IU. Interesting that he, and Romeo suffered through injuries their one and only years in college BB.  Not surprising he did not choose IU,  as kids from NWI rarely chose IU. 

11 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Just went to Cleveland. Well above what will most likely be Romeo.  Time is strange.  Kid only played five D-1 games. Yet was picked high.  Grew up in Gary, Indiana.  Was nice to see he, and his dad who had an NBA career, and coached Gary West High School afterwards.  And played HS ball at Gary Roosevelt.  Two Gary schools that still exist.

Sorry that he did not choose IU. Interesting that he, and Romeo suffered through injuries their one and only years in college BB.  Not surprising he did not choose IU,  as kids from NWI rarely chose IU. 

Garland is an excellent shooter as well. Had he picked IU (assuming he wouldn't of gotten injured) with Romeo and a healthy Jerome thats a top 5 team. Oh well - the cards didn't fall that way. 

Garland was very close to coming to IU.  However, the long close relationship with Drew Bryce and his dad which long predated his recruitment and the fact that Nashville was where he and his immediate family along with a number of relatives lived tipped the scales to Vandy. 

HIs dad was coach at Gary West, but it was believed that there was not much talent in the pipeline and the academics weren't up to snuff there.  The Nashville high school really wanted him, and they could offer good teammates and good academics.  He also had a number of relatives there. 

9 hours ago, slojoe said:

Garland was very close to coming to IU.  However, the long close relationship with Drew Bryce and his dad which long predated his recruitment and the fact that Nashville was where he and his immediate family along with a number of relatives lived tipped the scales to Vandy. 

HIs dad was coach at Gary West, but it was believed that there was not much talent in the pipeline and the academics weren't up to snuff there.  The Nashville high school really wanted him, and they could offer good teammates and good academics.  He also had a number of relatives there. 

Yet, I can't help but wonder how "close" he really was. Remember, DG was doing his darndest to recruit Romeo to Vandy! Plus the whole family played IU like a Stradivarius. Left a bitter taste in my mouth.....

10 hours ago, slojoe said:

Wasn't IU 3rd or 4th in this recruitment?  

1 hour ago, BDB said:

Wasn't IU 3rd or 4th in this recruitment?  

Although I am not an inside source, I have a friend who is.  He has been a big IU fan for many years and would not exaggerate.  This is what happened.  His dad is not the "bad" guy a few on this board believed him to be.

17 minutes ago, slojoe said:

Although I am not an inside source, I have a friend who is.  He has been a big IU fan for many years and would not exaggerate.  This is what happened.  His dad is not the "bad" guy a few on this board believed him to be.

Bad guy? No...but did he or his family dupe some IU journalists/beat writers,etc....absolutely.

Wish him nothing but the best though. This is more of a general comment on recruiting moving forward. With players trying to build up, make $ off their name, brand, followers,etc....will be real important for coaches to weed out the recruits who are using name schools to build their followers and platforms.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Bad guy? No...but did he or his family dupe some IU journalists/beat writers,etc....absolutely.

Wish him nothing but the best though. This is more of a general comment on recruiting moving forward. With players trying to build up, make $ off their name, brand, followers,etc....will be real important for coaches to weed out the recruits who are using name schools to build their followers and platforms.

You don't know the context of the situation.  The final decision was not identical but much like that of J. Jeffries.  He was bound for Duke but at the very last minute changed to IU.  Would you say the same about him?  I don't think so because after the fact we know a lot more about him, and we believe that he's a trustworthy and not deceptive.  Wouldn't you say that it is acceptable for a recruit to change his mind at the last minute?  This is a big decision for these young men.  As we know many get it wrong.  What's the old saying "Only dead men and fools never change their minds."   How is he and his family misleading people when he was ready to go to IU but has a change of heart at the last minute?  He was definitely not using IU's name.

On 6/20/2019 at 8:19 PM, milehiiu said:

I’m from Cleveland, and I love the Cavs. That said, when I saw the Cavs drafted Garland, I wasn’t happy. We already have a young promising point guard, why did we draft another?

...and Garland? No thanks....I hope we trade him.

Archived