Darius Garland

iRepIU

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Hoosier82 said:

He just recently set an official visit to Duke for the 27th so unless that's no longer happening I have to assume Duke is still in the running despite what others have said.

I believe he cancelled his Duke visit. http://sports.usatoday.com/2017/10/03/vanderbilt-kentucky-basketball-among-final-4-for-darius-garland-who-cancels-duke-visit/

28 minutes ago, Hoosier82 said:

Nevermind,.....I guess he did cancel the Duke visit after all. Article below includes UCLA and UK....hopefully they aren't actually in the running.

http://www.tennessean.com/story/sports/high-school/2017/10/03/vanderbilt-kentucky-basketball-finalists-darius-garland-who-cancels-duke-visit-brentwood-academy/729779001/

I don't think UCLA and UK are much to worry about in this recruitment, UK just got Quickley, and not much noise between UCLA and Garland.

2 minutes ago, KDB said:

I don't think UCLA and UK are much to worry about in this recruitment, UK just got Quickley, and not much noise between UCLA and Garland.

I'm hoping the FBI takes them both out. :D

He does have a couple classmates heading to Vandy to play football so there is a comfort level there.

Winston Garland is Darius's dad. Darius played as a fourth grader on Gary, Indiana's Glen Park's Biddy Basketball team.  The same part of Gary, that I grew up in.  The same team that when I was growing up in that won the World Championship and had a guy who was a friend of mine, Artie Yogodnik, named as "Mr. Biddy Basketball".  And the same team that had Brandon Dawson, from my old high school who went onto Michigan State, and beyond.

Winston Garland played for Gary Roosevelt.  And also for a school in Missouri.... now known as Missouri State.  The same school that Grant Gelon will be playing for , next year. Winston Garland went on to play in the NBA.

The ties to Indiana are strong in the Garland family.  And Winston Garland has expressed, publicly how much he is a fan of IU basketball. And how impressed he is with Archie Miller.... not only as a coach.... but, also as a leader of young men.

From earlier this year :

Hutton: Gary's Darius Garland turns into Brentwood's latest basketball savant - Chicago Tribune

26 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I think it is now a fait accompli that Darius ends up at IU. Mile will have home town kid on the team to root for! With him being from your actual home town, you have to be wanting him more than Davis.

Is it just a feeling or have you heard that Garland is leaning toward IU.  If I were a college prospect I would choose IU over Vandy but it appears that Vandy has had 4 top 10 players in for visits.  yesterday Vandy got a couple of Crystal ball selections for Shittu a top 10 prospect.

14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Is it just a feeling or have you heard that Garland is leaning toward IU.  If I were a college prospect I would choose IU over Vandy but it appears that Vandy has had 4 top 10 players in for visits.  yesterday Vandy got a couple of Crystal ball selections for Shittu a top 10 prospect.

Were those visits before the FBI investigation??? Just askin'  :coffee:

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Were those visits before the FBI investigation??? Just askin'  :coffee:

Seriously, Drew getting all these 5 star recruits to start considering Vandy out of nowhere is incredibly suspicious.  It makes sense with Garland because he lives in Nashville and Drew also has the northern Indiana connection, but all those other recruits?  Color me skeptical.

2 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I was just joking with Mile. He identified and followed D Davis early and he came to IU. With Darius from Miles home town, I can only imagine that he would love to see him come here and follow his career the same way he has with D Davis. Just hoping for some Mile Magic!

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Seriously, Drew getting all these 5 star recruits to start considering Vandy out of nowhere is incredibly suspicious.  It makes sense with Garland because he lives in Nashville and Drew also has the northern Indiana connection, but all those other recruits?  Color me skeptical.

We've seen (while it could simply be speculation) players in the past include teams in their final list as a favor to a specific coach and/or to not piss off the hometown. So perhaps, in Garland's case, he included Vandy as a favor to Drew to get other high profile prospects to take notice and consider Vandy. That being said, and as Crean proved way too many times, getting kids to be "interested" in your school is a far cry from getting them to commit. 

28 minutes ago, Stingyhoosierdefense said:

If Garland does commit, would he be the best pure passer in I U history? From what I've seen his passing skills are unlike any Hoosier I can remember.. 

You are forgetting about Pat Knight

vbg

3 hours ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I agree, I think in the fbi posting I said this exact same thing. nobody really responded to it with a discussion though

26 minutes ago, CauseThatsMyDJ said:

I was not around to see it personally, but might Zeke have some claim to that crown?

Garland court vison and passing skills at this point are more polished than Zekes were. Also watch his tape Garland makes passes some NBA point guards can't make.. Point is you can't teach the no look pass , court vison to a extent. Zeke is the better scorer as of right now. Garland has the making for a terrific "true point". Pair that with the talent we will have and throw Romeo in there with defense being the standard not the exception as past seasons have shown, we might be looking at a team some fans haven't seen in their whole life!!! Fingers crossed till then. If this does happen I see the floodgates opening in our state. Is Archie going to build " the wall" around Indiana? 

Archived